CIA check

Old May 2nd 2002, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice
Default CIA check

Hey Guys-

I am back from feeling down and out yesterday. Feel rejuvenated, but weather is nasty (rainy and gloomy).

I have a quick couple question for our experts. How is the CIA check different from the FBI check? Also, did we need to fill any forms out for the CIA check or does the INS do that? Is the CIA check fingerprint based or Social Security based?

I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

Thanks again for your support...

Cheers
-- Gaude
Old May 2nd 2002, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIA check

They use the same fingerprints that you had done previously. The prints are scanned into the database banks of the FBI and the CIA. Two different government agencies. And normal, one does not confer with the other, nor for the most part, do they share information.

All AOS adjusters must undergo this process by both agencies. When I first started with the INS process back in 1997/1998, it was routine that AOS adjustment was stalled until both reports were back at the INS office.

However, because the CIA was taking so long to clear the prints, an INS memo mandated that all adjusters were to be approved as long as the FBI report was in but the CIA report was not. The premise of this was that if the prints failed approval at the CIA level, the green card would be revoked. Never heard of that happening so guess that if you cleared the FBI it was clear that you were going to clear the CIA as well.

I believe I have this right when I say the FBI handles the database for internal US criminal activity and the CIA handles the database for external criminal activity.

But with the advent of September 11th, this memo has apparently been rescinded and all adjusters have to wait for the official report to make its way to the INS computer database.

Rete
Old May 2nd 2002, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

gaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nicegaude is just really nice

Thanks Rete-

You always have such great answers!! Now, here is one more question. Is there a number for the INS office in Boston, where I can call and check status in the next weeks?

Take Care and Cheers

-- Gaude
Old May 2nd 2002, 5:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

There you have me. I don't have a number for them. Have you checked the INS website? Or perhaps a search on google?
Old May 2nd 2002, 5:12 pm
Concierge

Okay I did a google search for you and lo and behold I found a post from myself with a Boston number. Completely forgot about that. It was given to us by our friends Carolyn and Wade, another Can/Am couple, who used Boston.

617-565-3879

Here is the URL for the search result

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...13b4e1d&rnum=4
Old May 2nd 2002, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

You are such a rock star...

-- Gaude
Old May 2nd 2002, 9:40 pm
Jb

Rete wrote:
    >
    > They use the same fingerprints that you had done previously. The prints are scanned
    > into the database banks of the FBI and the CIA. Two different government agencies.
    > And normal, one does not confer with the other, nor for the most part, do they
    > share information.

The main reason they don't seem to share information is that data, and the control of
it, provides power. I worked for govt agencies and they don't tend to communicate
that well with one another, especially with intelligence-related information. This
may have changed since Sep11 but no one can really say whether it has or not since it
is doubtful anyone who posts here could reveal this sort of procedural info.

> I believe I have this right when I say the FBI handles the database for internal US
    > criminal activity and the CIA handles the database for external criminal activity.

Possibly, but the CIA is not a law enforcement agency and so are not (from what I
know) particularly interested in criminal activity. I would guess and say that a
check in CIA might be made to determine if an applicant is a terrorist but the
criminal checks are done by the FBI.