Church of England equivalent in America

Church of England equivalent in America

Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:06 am
amm
Just Joined

amm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Church of England equivalent in America

Hi,
I moved over to Delaware from the UK in August and am finally finding my feet (I think!) and want to start attending church again. Back in the UK I went to a CofE church and wondered if anyone would know what the similar style of worship / beliefs is here?
Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:17 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Church of England equivalent in America

I'd just try a few churches and see where you fit in......
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm about to do the same thing!

The Episcopal Church is the church that is part of the Anglican Communion and may feel the most familar, so http://www.dioceseofdelaware.net/ is probably your first port of call. However, you seem to be able find all flavours and styles of churches here so I'm sure you'll find a good fit!

What was the style of your home church - eg was it relatively high (formal worship, organ, robed choir) or low (informal worship, music groups) or somewhere in the middle? Are you looking for a congregation that emphasises fellowship or teaching or youthwork or music or evangelism or social action etc etc etc. Small size church or huge mega-church? Socially conservative or liberal?

You're never going to find your perfect church but thinking about what you're looking for in advance will help you find the right place. Most churches seem to have websites that you can check out in advance to tell you what they're like. Also, it might be worth checking out the Mystery Worship page at Ship of Fools to see if they've covered any churches in your area. http://ship-of-fools.com/mystery/index.html I

Going to church is much more of a "normal" thing to do here compared to back home - it's great not be be the only wierdo Christian in the office!

Enjoy your "church shopping", and I hope you find a new spiritual home soon.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:50 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amm
Back in the UK I went to a CofE church and wondered if anyone would know what the similar style of worship / beliefs is here?
If you want anything similar to the CoE, stay away from any church with word "Christian" in its name... ie. First Christian Church.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amm
Hi,
I moved over to Delaware from the UK in August and am finally finding my feet (I think!) and want to start attending church again. Back in the UK I went to a CofE church and wondered if anyone would know what the similar style of worship / beliefs is here?
Thanks
As other have mentioned, Episcopal is the nearest I've found to my CofE church back home.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 4:09 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
As other have mentioned, Episcopal is the nearest I've found to my CofE church back home.
Agreed. Same here.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I'd just try a few churches and see where you fit in......
If it is anything like my neighbourhood there will be no shortage of places to try either!
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

presbataryn is the us equivalant of c of e or so i was told by a rabbi hope this helps
Old Jan 7th 2012, 1:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amm
Hi,
Thanks
Episcopal is theoretically the closest but you could really look at any mainstream Protestant denomination - in the USA these could include United Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Episcopal is theoretically the closest but you could really look at any mainstream Protestant denomination - in the USA these could include United Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian.
Really?

I guess Texas must be quite different then. The Lutheran and Presbyterian churches around here are way different in their teachings and life styles.

The only similar CofE here is Episcopalian and they also tend to have many differences, but are the closest. That's just my opinion
Old Jan 7th 2012, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

fathermike is an unknown quantity at this point

The Episcopal Church is what the Church of England in the colonies became after the unpleasantness of 1776. It is by its history the closest to the CofE, though in style many other churches in the USA may feel similar to what you were used to in England.

I was a Vicar in the West Midlands for 6 years before moving to a parish in the Episcopal Church here in Florida 10 years ago.

If you have specific questions I may be able to answer them.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Jan 7th 2012, 3:04 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

The only similar CofE here is Episcopalian and they also tend to have many differences, but are the closest. That's just my opinion
+1