Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The Christmas what do you miss thread

The Christmas what do you miss thread

Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Christmas what do you miss thread

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I have two close to my 'here'

Peter Pan

Pinocchio
Have you been to either one? I noticed one is in Federal Way, might be fun to do this Friday....
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Have you been to either one? I noticed one is in Federal Way, might be fun to do this Friday....
Been to both, they are both good. I'd recommend them both.

The Federal Way one is good but not as good as previous years, I think partly because it is a new play written in house, they usually just buy an established script. The Artistic Director in Federal Way is a Brit.

The Fremont one is much more amateur, but for a panto it can and does, add to its charm. Kids can sit on a carpet at the front. Plus many of the adults have had a pint or two.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Been to both, they are both good. I'd recommend them both.

The Federal Way one is good but not as good as previous years, I think partly because it is a new play written in house, they usually just buy an established script. The Artistic Director in Federal Way is a Brit.

The Fremont one is much more amateur, but for a panto it can and does, add to its charm. Kids can sit on a carpet at the front. Plus many of the adults have had a pint or two.
I've never been to one, even in the years we lived in the UK. Will have to ask hubs, don't know if he even likes them... But I always thought they looked interesting.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 6:43 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I've never been to one, even in the years we lived in the UK. Will have to ask hubs, don't know if he even likes them... But I always thought they looked interesting.
We used to go to the panto every year when I was a kid, I always remember Cannon and Ball throwing a bottle of milk to my Mum, you'd never be able to do that now with the health and safety laws, not sure you can even throw sweets into the audience anymore.

I was in a panto once I was a dancer in Cinderella with Don McClean and Clauda Rodgers
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

sammynogills is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lisanano
there are pantos here?
Where's 'here'?
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:48 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Plus many of the adults have had a pint or two.
Sounds like the ones we used to do. I was musical director and my band was usually pished by the time we started, it was great!

One year we decided to **** with the cast so we all got fake knockers and slipped them on during the interval, so during the big 'communty singing' number, when the bloke looked down at the band for help, he saw four blokes with comedy tits on smiling back at him. Te bass player and I were just about crying with laughter at his reaction - 'That guy's got breasts ...'

We were evil ****ers, though ...
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

lisanano is an unknown quantity at this point

Chicago, only a little while though. Homesick for the first xmas here.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

lisanano is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there going to be snow at Christmas? Was expecting it!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 8:04 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisanano
Is there going to be snow at Christmas? Was expecting it!
Not this year, it would seem. I remember a few years ago it was in the high 50s up in the northern 'burbs on Christmas Eve and I was playing footie out the back with my son ...
Old Dec 20th 2011, 11:20 pm
Banned

Winston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura about

Gangs of drunken young tipsy women looking for a bunk up in and around the pubs and clubs. It's all too serious and family oriented in the US, not to mention short.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Secret Santa - where you can give anonymous sex toys to a co-worker without getting a lawsuit.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Chugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to beholdChugabug is a splendid one to behold

I think I've introduced most British traditions to my American family here after 12 Christmas Days in this country. We are one of the few families in Arkansas who will be lighting our pudding and pulling our crackers. I also have my Bird's Trifle to make on Christmas Eve. My Mrs. finds all the best UK tv to watch and seems to know more about what's on via her Twitter pals than I do. I found the first few years here tough at this time of year. I now enjoy the weird combination of traditions that make up my UK/USA one day holiday.
Old Dec 24th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly just family nowadays... after 18 years here we started our own traditions...We have a big Xmas Eve party with all our European freinds, made some brill UK pop CD of all the Brit classic Chrissy songs, slade etc....on Itunes, pickle our own onions, make crackers, mince meat etc.... and bake Xmas cake in November ripe for eating in December, yum! A trip to world market to get the other needed items missing! Also have all the good films on on DVD especially Scrooge with Alistar Simms, its a must on Xmas Eve!!! I have trained my USA family to some of our Brit ways which they love now too, especially crackers, which they continue to call poppers but I let them off given they embrace them ;-) !
Happy Christmas to all you Expats everywhere!