Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas tipping etiquette

Christmas tipping etiquette

Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas tipping etiquette

Originally Posted by Bob
Tip whatever you fancy....if you go see a regular person and like them, sure, give them a gift...other wise, just a regular tip.

For the postman, giftcards are good as cash can be dodgy, tax requirements and all that and anything bulky is a pain in the arse.

And if you live in a snowy area, it is a good idea to tip the postie, or you might find they don't deliver very regularly, citing BS about ice on the steps...once we tipped ours in the old town, the post magically got much better. He got $10 to Dunkin'D as he always trotted around with a cup.
yep its a regular person - I dont see the postie and it doesnt snow here anyway!!! Gift card it is then thanks
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
If the hairdresser is getting a tip every week I think your idea of a $20 gift card would be fine. But who knows.
I think so as well thanks!!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I buy my hairdresser a gift, usually a tin of Scottish shortbread and this year my teen daughter has made her some sausage rolls as well

I don't tip any one else, but do buy small gifts for my kids private music teachers.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 1:09 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
You'll be lucky if you get paid.
I know poooooooooooooooooooooooooor me maybe I should start a thread about it, and about ME
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I cut my own hair - how much should I tip myself?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Yes siree (as people seem to say here!!) I go every week for a blow dry (or blow out as its called here) and then they flat iron it
Has to be done!!! You can take the girl outa london but etc etc etc
Still think im living in the big city where EVERYONE has there barnet done EVERY week dont ya know - hmm but i aint living in the big city and could never even brush it again and noone would notice!!!!
Get the brazilian blow out - so worth it - changed my life! No more weekly trips to the salon and now looks like a salon blow out all the time!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Get the brazilian blow out - so worth it - changed my life! No more weekly trips to the salon and now looks like a salon blow out all the time!
Is that the chemical straightening thingy? They dont do them here in CA apparently because of the chemicals but i could be wrong!!! Im going t0 look into it thanks!!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Now Sultan that's just silly
You have to be a woman to understand these things!!! I would simply not exist if I didnt have my hair done weekly - and im not being dramatic
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Now Sultan that's just silly
You have to be a woman to understand these things!!! I would simply not exist if I didnt have my hair done weekly - and im not being dramatic
My wife used to cut my hair but her eyesight ain't what it used to be so I complained about the ragged cut. So, she told me to go to the hairdresser in future. It works out well... if anyone wants to schedule a meeting with me at work, I pretend to look in my calendar.. and regretfully announce, "oh no sorry.. I have an appointment at the Beauty Parlor."

I was thinking about this tip thing, I'm going in this afternoon for my last appointment before Christmas. But I give her a big tip (about 40%) so I plan to leave it at that and give her the normal tip..?
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by robin1234
My wife used to cut my hair but her eyesight ain't what it used to be so I complained about the ragged cut. So, she told me to go to the hairdresser in future. It works out well... if anyone wants to schedule a meeting with me at work, I pretend to look in my calendar.. and regretfully announce, "oh no sorry.. I have an appointment at the Beauty Parlor."

I was thinking about this tip thing, I'm going in this afternoon for my last appointment before Christmas. But I give her a big tip (about 40%) so I plan to leave it at that and give her the normal tip..?
you give her a 40% tip all the time?? or are you just planning ot give her a 40% tip this time...its more than enough i would say
im sticking to the $20 gift card plus normal 20% tip
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

you give her a 40% tip all the time?? or are you just planning ot give her a 40% tip this time...its more than enough i would say
im sticking to the $20 gift card plus normal 20% tip
My haircut is only $12.. things are cheap up here in the hardscrabble boondocks. I give her $5 each time. I just trawled through my pocket and found I can afford to give her a $15 tip this time.
I'm usually a bit of a scrooge, but she lives in a tumbledown trailer and does her best to support her nephews & nieces whose parents are in prison etc.
Plus she gives me a good shampoo & cut and I don't have to tell her too many family secrets because she's busy telling me hers!!!
Old Dec 15th 2011, 6:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes siree (as people seem to say here!!) I go every week for a blow dry (or blow out as its called here) and then they flat iron it
Has to be done!!! You can take the girl outa london but etc etc etc
Still think im living in the big city where EVERYONE has there barnet done EVERY week dont ya know - hmm but i aint living in the big city and could never even brush it again and noone would notice!!!!

Don't know what a barnet is ... but does that mean you don't wash your hair until the hairdresser does it for you the following week??

Old Dec 15th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

fromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to allfromthemanorborn is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rete
Don't know what a barnet is ...
Cor blimey! Didn't you ever see Dick van Dyke? Barnet Fair in cock-er-ney slang.
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:13 pm
Banned

Winston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura about

I usually put mine in small manilla envelopes. Sealed with wax and the imprint of my signet ring. These are smugly doled out whilst resting my foot at a slightly elevated level on an oversized travel trunk or concrete step, while my forearm is placed casually across my elevated knee of the same leg as on the aforementioned trunk. I usually try to grow a Dick Dasterdly style handbar moustache especially for this time of year, which I slyly twirl at the same time as handing out my meager offerings. Having the recipient come around to the tradesman's entrance has an added affect, as does my occasional wearing of khaki jodhpurs
Old Dec 15th 2011, 9:23 pm
Banned

Winston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura aboutWinston Smith has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Looking at your photos I'd imagine there's a special business character tax deductible exemption that would entitle you to a governemnt refund at the end of fiscal year 2011.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.