Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas Prezzies......share what Santa is bringing

Christmas Prezzies......share what Santa is bringing

Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:45 am
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Prezzies......share what Santa is bringing

Originally Posted by Bob
loads of people already decorated for it and the lights are out already....don't blame them though as it's not really snowed yet, so people are making the best of it because some of those decorations end up having to stay out till around June
We have a rule here we can't put decorations up until the weekend after Thanksgiving. But then we live in the 'Christmas Lights Area' (even according to the local realtor) so their are lots of 'rules' about Christmas lights.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBride
We have a rule here we can't put decorations up until the weekend after Thanksgiving. But then we live in the 'Christmas Lights Area' (even according to the local realtor) so their are lots of 'rules' about Christmas lights.
around here, people hedge bets on when the snows going to hit bad and try to beat it..once it's snowed, the lights all freeze into place and can't be removed anyway till it's melted...scary how people still switch them on though well after x-mas
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:38 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
around here, people hedge bets on when the snows going to hit bad and try to beat it..once it's snowed, the lights all freeze into place and can't be removed anyway till it's melted...scary how people still switch them on though well after x-mas
Once again we shall be having Xmas day on the beach I have no doubt.

Actually its kindsa weird having cards with snowmen and winter scenes on them and "snow" covered decorations...when outside its 78f and blazing sunshine and you have to put the sunscreen on to go to the beach after Xmas lunch.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 2:53 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually its kindsa weird having cards with snowmen and winter scenes on them and "snow" covered decorations...when outside its 78f and blazing sunshine and you have to put the sunscreen on to go to the beach after Xmas lunch.
that has to be a bit disconcerting doesn't it...about the only time when snow is someone tolerated *l*
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:38 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute nuisance to have to carry Christmas presents to the UK unwrapped. Didn't bother to bring wrapping paper with me.

Luckily, the hotel let me use their tape and lent me a pair of scissors so I was able to wrap pressies after I'd made a trip to WHSmiths to get paper. In addition, I'm going to a birthday party today so when I went to my parents, I used some of their paper to wrap the birthday present.

One present (not given as a Christmas present though) I'm giving is a set of American measuring cups.

I've also brought "Christmas Mix" of candy in seasonal bags (mine are made by Jelly Belly) as Christmas presents. Don't exactly know what makes up Christmas mix but I don't think it exists in the UK so it's something American that my recipients might enjoy.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

It has beend ecided we will do Xmas cards this year, with gift tags enclosed. The Memsahib & I will buy something to wrap & mark it from my Mum, brother etc, and they will do the same over there.

Least that way we get a gift from them, and everyone spends roughly the same amount on gifts. Royal Mail & US Post dip out on postage though.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
that has to be a bit disconcerting doesn't it...about the only time when snow is someone tolerated *l*
Yeah. Last year really didnt seem like Xmas at all....Just another thanksgiving style dinner with crackers and funny hats. Not much chance of actually making a snowman here at all.

Mind you look at this pic from 1989...granted it was North Florida and hasnt happened since, but you never know:

Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:11 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Yeah. Last year really didnt seem like Xmas at all....Just another thanksgiving style dinner with crackers and funny hats.
Where dyou get your crackers? I asked for them in a store here once and they took me to a box of Ritz bicuits!! They do them in the Brit shop here but there's not much choice. I found them in Williams Sonoma last year but they were soooo boring looking. I did find out that it's legal to post them here so I may get my grandmother to send some to me.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:38 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Where dyou get your crackers? I asked for them in a store here once and they took me to a box of Ritz bicuits!! They do them in the Brit shop here but there's not much choice. I found them in Williams Sonoma last year but they were soooo boring looking. I did find out that it's legal to post them here so I may get my grandmother to send some to me.
Target has crackers and I've seen them in Marshalls.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:42 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

For Husband : Coffee roaster
The Body Shop shaving stuff
Cigars

For me: Stevia cookbook
Back on the Road: A Journey Through Latin America by Ernesto Che
Guevara
Toasted Sandwich maker
A million little pieces By James Frey
SpongeBob Squarepants computer game for the telly.

Oh boy I feel like a totally boring and unoriginal individual.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

Publix had them on their Brit stand last yeat. But these ones my MIL brought over with her.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Target has crackers and I've seen them in Marshalls.
The Christmas Tree shop had a great range, 8-10 pack, small to large sized crackers from $3-6...don't know how good they are, but I went and got a box
Old Nov 20th 2005, 11:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Sarah
Back on the Road: A Journey Through Latin America by Ernesto Che
Guevara
You should have a listen to the Mark Steele Lectures, the Che one is pretty funny, it's only 19.3mb if your interested
Old Nov 21st 2005, 1:14 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

What I was looking to get, but can't over in the US, is some Nitelite GlowRings, basically glowing keyrings, but the chemical that causes the thing to glow for 10 years is banned in the US...there great keyrings, and really handy to have on generators, clipped to torches and other shite for when the power goes...
you mean like these??

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/searc...uctCode=GLRVAR

Ant
Old Nov 21st 2005, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

They are EVERYWHERE here this year - even loads in Pier 1 and you can get make your own ones in places too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.