Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Christmas - Over Before Its Begun

Christmas - Over Before Its Begun

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 7:31 am
JeanDupont

Default Christmas - Over Before Its Begun

I don't know if anyone has noticed it in their area on previous Christmases - stores taking down all the Christmas decorations etc on Christmas Eve before closing - I've seen them start around lunchtime.
Why can't they wait until the morning of the next day they're open?
It really makes you feel its over before its begun.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone here a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Peaceful New Year.

Old Dec 22nd 2003, 1:04 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Merry Christmas luv!

I don't think they should take anything down untill a couple of days before New Year. A friend of mine takes her stuff down the day after Christmas too... rediculous I call it!

I do it on New Years day... I take everything down and then sometimes clean all day. Ther dust gets behind all the stuff on my mantel etc. I've even been known to bung curtains in the wash on New Years too.

Taking down Christmas Cards makes me the saddest though... I never throw them out either... I used to save the fronts and let the kids make calenders out of them the following year fro gifts from them to friends and family.

It would be nice to be in touch with everyone more than once a year. -- I'm terrible at remembering birthdays, so maybe my resloution should be to buy and address a card for everyone in January and make a really updated calender.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Most stores here sell all their christmas stuff 50% off the day after xmas day I'm told.
Old Dec 22nd 2003, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pimpbot
Most stores here sell all their christmas stuff 50% off the day after xmas day I'm told.
Yes, they do, sometimes even 75%. It is the best day to shop. You can get all the really expensive cards, paper etc for next year at a fraction of the price. I do it every year.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
Yes, they do, sometimes even 75%. It is the best day to shop. You can get all the really expensive cards, paper etc for next year at a fraction of the price. I do it every year.
I do the same thing- used to do that in UK too, even there Hallmark etc always slashed their prices on Christmas Eve. Here in FL they start earlier at least a week or two before Christmas-they start reducing prices. I just bought boxes of those little prelit Christmas trees for outside- to line the drive- got two dozen for $28! I was in the store just as they were marking them down Also got lovely table cloths and napkins etc - all 75% off already.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Poshpaws is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Just wonder if there was not any money to be made from this pagen holiday, if there would be so much noise made?

We all follow like sheep, (moaning, as only us Brits do best) to the slaughter.

Companies make fortunes each year from selling things people neither need or want....(ever see the return lines through Jan?)

Happy whatever anyway...
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Poshpaws
Just wonder if there was not any money to be made from this pagen holiday, if there would be so much noise made?

We all follow like sheep, (moaning, as only us Brits do best) to the slaughter.

Companies make fortunes each year from selling things people neither need or want....(ever see the return lines through Jan?)

Happy whatever anyway...
Come on girlfriend, buck up it's Christmas. Go and have yourself a nice glass of wine and put your feet up, do you the world of good.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Effi,

I was thinking about a vat myself.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Effi,

I was thinking about a vat myself.
Whatever floats your boat.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Nah...I wouldn't be able to steer it!
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nah...I wouldn't be able to steer it!
What are you doing for Xmas anyway, got any plans? My son is coming down from Philly tomorrow, so I am excited to see him, he is only staying for 4 days, but it is enough of a fix for now. We will just be staying home doing the eating and drinking thing. Does not feel Christmassy here in AZ though, too sunny, we need some snow.
Old Dec 23rd 2003, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Effi,

We're having our "Christmas" tonight with daughter and her intended. They did the Thanksgiving thingy with us..so it's off to his Mum's for Christmas...you know how that goes...She wants the Yorshire pudding and all that, along with Christmas Pudding and custard. Doing beef and lamb, not overly fond of turkey.

Looking forward to Jan more than Christmas really...going on another cruise for 10 days with friends, that have never cruised before. (We're old hands)
Old Dec 24th 2003, 9:05 pm
JeanDupont

Just spoke to relative in UK - her local branch of Sainsburys started taking down their Christmas decorations at 2.30pm GMT today.
Almost all larger stores open Boxing Day.

Old Dec 24th 2003, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Bah Humbug! Made their money....now it's back to regular business..
Old Dec 24th 2003, 11:30 pm
JeanDupont

Poshpaws - we also are cruisin in January - - flying to NYC then 14days QE2 back to LA via Panama Canal. Never done that trip before - also looking forward to it - just a little worried about flights now with the problems at LaGuardia today - only have 5 hours transfer time between airport and pier.
What ship are you cruisin on? And your itinerary?

Last edited by JeanDupont; Dec 24th 2003 at 11:32 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.