Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Choosing a UK car rental company - which one?

Choosing a UK car rental company - which one?

Old May 24th 2011, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all
Default Re: Choosing a UK car rental company - which one?

Originally Posted by bromleygirl
Thanks for the replies so far. It's our first trip back and my relatives are unable to do the airport run hence needing to have the car from the airport and back. For the 13 days there I've actually been quoted just over 200GBP which I didn't think bad. I'm planning to use my UK credit card to book.
Just be sure that your UK credit card has automatic CDW coverage, I know that virtually all US issued Visa and MC credit cards do. If it doesn't then you'll only have the choice to buy the rip off version at the counter (assuming it's not already covered under your purchase...for 200 pounds it probably isn't).

I've always rented Avis at LHR, never had any problems with them, although they don't like me too much because I never go for their unncessary add-ons and I never fall for their "would you like to be billed in US dollars?" exchange rate scam.

Take online reviews with a grain of salt.....the vast majority of people that tend to go through the effort of posting online reviews are those that have or feel that they have been seriously wronged by the company.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:45 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
In my experience it is best to rent the car from the US -- see www.kemwel.com or www.autoeurope.com.

They appear to use the same software so the site work alike. But they are different companies. ].
In 2001 Kemwel moved to Portland, Maine. It is a sister company to Auto Europe.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:49 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone else have anything good/bad to say about any rental car places at Heathrow? I just don't want to be done over paying for damage that I've not caused but it seems as though it's common practice...

I've heard that Thrifty require 2 forms of ID with your address - utility bill etc in order to rent.

I'm using my UK license and UK credit card so I should be ok right?
I've used Avis at LHR twice (both last year) with no issue.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm using my UK license and UK credit card so I should be ok right?
Better off using your US license.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
Better off using your US license.
Agreed.

Using a license linked to your current address would be preferable.
Old May 26th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tonrob
I've used Avis at LHR twice (both last year) with no issue.
Past 4 years used Avis from LHR too - no issue until I locked myself out of the car last year. They sent the RAC and was all sorted, but when I returned to the US, I ended up getting a bill since it was viewed as non-emergency assistance.

Contested it and it was eventually dropped, but just be wary that this appears to be current policy - i.e. if you need roadside assistance and the rental company deem its your fault, they'll try and charge. Think that Avis is not alone in doing this now - they're all out to maximize revenue...
Old May 26th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far. It's our first trip back and my relatives are unable to do the airport run hence needing to have the car from the airport and back. For the 13 days there I've actually been quoted just over 200GBP which I didn't think bad. I'm planning to use my UK credit card to book.
Last time I rented a car I got the best deal through Alamo, I did not take the insurance as I rented using my US visa and used the coverage they provided in place of insurance, the insurance on rentals can really add up. I hear American Express have even better coverage for just a few $ per rental, might be worth considering.

With Alamo I also got an additional driver for free.