Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chip and Pin (part two)

Wikiposts

Chip and Pin (part two)

Old Mar 20th 2006, 8:32 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Chip and Pin (part two)

Originally Posted by Ray
That can be a real pain in the arse ....
Speaking from personal experience there Ray?!
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:40 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

What a coincedence, our new Natwest chip and pin cards arrived in the mail today.
"Just continue using the same PIN you had on the old card" it says. Bloody marvelous, don't have a blimming clue what the PIN is as I haven't had to use it since 2001.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
What a coincedence, our new Natwest chip and pin cards arrived in the mail today.
"Just continue using the same PIN you had on the old card" it says. Bloody marvelous, don't have a blimming clue what the PIN is as I haven't had to use it since 2001.

I'm with Nat West too. When I was in the UK in 2004 I went to the bank and asked for the pin numbers for my CC and ATM card. They would only send them to the address on their files, which in my case is here.

Last year when I went back I made sure I had all the numbers with me, in duplicate, just in case I lost one set.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 10:42 am
Peter21

Just got back from UK a couple of days ago. Everyone is using c&p, but they all accepted my US cards without c&p. In restaurants they have wireless devices (must have cost a fortune to equip everywhere) that they bring to your table. If you just get them to swipe your card on these devices, it will go through OK and print out a signature sheet, just as back here. I didn't find any problems getting them to accept the card.

Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I tried explaining the whole "US cards don't have a chip/PIN", but it didn't seem to work. Mind you, half of the shop staff I talked to were not native English speakers and that didn't help (seemed to be a lot of eastern European people working in public service industry - hotels, shops, etc.).

My bank (State Employees' Credit Union) said that Visa was putting the $50 limit/block on the cards because of recent security breaches.

It also wasn't helped by the fact that my US card was due to expire (I had the new one - PIN and all - but it wasn't valid until April), and I found two notices from Barclaycard with my PIN(s) on them - but no date, so I couldn't figure out which one was for my current card (and I was afraid to punch in the wrong PIN in case they confiscated my card).

And BigDavy, I got the job (at least, I will have when the contract arrives) and will be heading back probably in July sometime (see my thread on Returning to the UK).
Old Mar 20th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
If you are going to the UK in the near future, watch out for a couple of things:

As mentioned in a previous thread, the Chip and PIN system is in effect, with no signatures allowed. I also found on this trip that shops would not allow me to use my US credit card without a PIN (others have said previously that if you are from the US and using a US credit card, you culd use the signature route, but I didn't find this to be the case).

ALSO, my ATM card was refused at the bank (i.e., could not use it to get cash out of an ATM machine). When I called my bank, turned out VISA has put a "block" on cards being used in certain counties (including the UK) for taking out more than $50 at a time. I tried for 200 quid, then 100 quid, then 50 quid and them assumed it was not the amount but some problem with my card. If I had tried as low as 25 quid I guess I would have been OK.

Basically, if I wasn't a Barclays cutsomer and therefore able to get cash from Barclays Bank over the counter I would have been up a creek without any cash whatsoever. Be warned.
I used my US Visa Credit Card, for purchases & did not need a PIN.
Reg. Frank R.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:19 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
All that good company at work I expect ...
yes.they are the type of people I like to associate with.:scared:
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
yes.they are the type of people I like to associate with.:scared:
LOL... I can imagine ... still its nice to have a captive audience ...
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Speaking from personal experience there Ray?!
Nope!! my arse is a virgin and will stay that way ...