Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Childs Passport Question

Childs Passport Question

Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:51 pm
Living the dream

srfc1876 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childs Passport Question

Hi, I have a questions about a passport for a child of a UK citizen and US citizen but born in US....

I am a UK Citizen and have recently become a permanent resident (Green Card) through marriage, I have a 10 month old son born here in the USA (Florida).

I want my son to have a UK Passport which I am going to apply for, and I hope to take him to visit his family in the UK in the summer, my question is can he have a UK and US passport? If so does he enter the UK on his UK passport then back to the USA on a US passport? What would happen if he only had a UK passport when we came back home to the US?

Any answers or advice would be greatly recieved
Old Jan 16th 2010, 11:58 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childs Passport Question

I moved you to the USA forum for more first-hand experiences.. lots of dual citizen babies here!
Your son IS a US and a UK citizen, and you have the passport thing correct in that he must always leave and enter the US with the US passport.

It is more important to get the US passport now, because the US is picky about that. You can get his UK certificate of citizenship now and he can enter the UK on the US passport.
Others will be along to clarify that part, but check out this FAQ from the wiki:

* Dual citizenship

There may be dual citizenship issues for some. However this is a not a problem for UK citizens since the UK government has no particular issues with British citizens holding dual citizenship. For the US perspective, which requires a few rules to be followed, see http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:11 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by srfc1876
... can he have a UK and US passport?
Indeed he can... I have both a UK and US passport.

If so does he enter the UK on his UK passport then back to the USA on a US passport?
Yes... exactly right!

What would happen if he only had a UK passport when we came back home to the US?
By law, a US citizen must enter the US with a US passport. Full stop. End of story. Get him a US passport first, and then a UK passport... the UK isn't quite as fussy!

Ian
Old Jan 17th 2010, 12:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I moved you to the USA forum for more first-hand experiences.. lots of dual citizen babies here!
Your son IS a US and a UK citizen,
Son may not be a British citizen. Not enough information ...

It is more important to get the US passport now, because the US is picky about that. You can get his UK certificate of citizenship now and he can enter the UK on the US passport.
"Certificate of citizenship" ... do you mean a consular birth certificate?