Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Children in the US Write of the Healthcare Experiences

Wikiposts

Children in the US Write of the Healthcare Experiences

Old Apr 13th 2007, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children in the US Write of the Healthcare Experiences

Originally Posted by Boiler
Have a look at the Matt cartoons at www.telegraph.co.uk

There are some good ones on the NHS over the last week or so.
I loved the cartoons. Didn't see any NHS ones actually, not sure where those were. Doesn't matter tho - Matt is great.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tracym
I loved the cartoons. Didn't see any NHS ones actually, not sure where those were. Doesn't matter tho - Matt is great.

Particular peeve of my Mum.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

I should know this, but I'm trying to remember - have to pay to park maybe?
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:54 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

A car park is the UK equivalent of either a parking lot or a parking garage (multi-storey).

As a Texan it irks me to pay for parking as a free parking space is my God-given right. In Amsterdam, to park on the street costs about 30 euros (maybe $45) per day!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snowbunny
A car park is the UK equivalent of either a parking lot or a parking garage (multi-storey).

As a Texan it irks me to pay for parking as a free parking space is my God-given right. In Amsterdam, to park on the street costs about 30 euros (maybe $45) per day!
Thanks - I know what a car park is. I was just trying to remember how it related to the hospital - I think they may have to pay to park at the hospitals.

Parking in downtown Chicago ain't great ($$$) but not THAT bad.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:02 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - I know what a car park is. I was just trying to remember how it related to the hospital - I think they may have to pay to park at the hospitals.

Parking in downtown Chicago ain't great ($$$) but not THAT bad.
A surface car park is rare in most UK cities and if there is one, it's guarded! and you gotta pay. Even if you stay in very expen$ive hotels you will pay to park your car, but part of the cost includes the guarding, because car vandalism and theft can be a big problem, bigger than most non-inner-city Americans are used to.

(But the murder rate is lower.)
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A surface car park is rare in most UK cities and if there is one, it's guarded! and you gotta pay. Even if you stay in very expen$ive hotels you will pay to park your car, but part of the cost includes the guarding, because car vandalism and theft can be a big problem, bigger than most non-inner-city Americans are used to.

(But the murder rate is lower.)
CCTV more likely, unusual for a car park to be staffed.

One thing I noticed when I first came here, airport car park was very cheap, $2 an hour and they had real people to take you money.

Scaling up and converting, the NHS makes the US equivalent of $12 billion a year from car parking, assuming the US had a similar system.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 2:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's a money earner, simple way for hospitals to make extra money...long term patients usually get a permit though, but it ain't half expensive for guests depending on where you park...

Well the Nuffield in Oxford would be a few quid, but the car park at the end of the street would be 20p.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 3:01 pm
Lapine Member

Possibly but I've seen them staffed as well.... even for Marks and Sparks!
Old Apr 13th 2007, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

One thing I noticed when I first came here, airport car park was very cheap, $2 an hour and they had real people to take you money.

Scaling up and converting, the NHS makes the US equivalent of $12 billion a year from car parking, assuming the US had a similar system.
Ahhh I did remember right

So the care's free - but the parking makes up for it

Actually I was shocked a while ago- I take my older lady friend to her doctors, etc - we went to a teaching hospital (terrific care btw, night and day to some other hospitals) - but they charged me for parking! ER parking is free, but the rest of it, you pay. Now that I haven't seen at a hospital before.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 1:57 am
Lapine Member

Actually I was shocked a while ago- I take my older lady friend to her doctors, etc - we went to a teaching hospital (terrific care btw, night and day to some other hospitals) - but they charged me for parking! ER parking is free, but the rest of it, you pay. Now that I haven't seen at a hospital before.
That's the norm here in Austin. And you're expected to have someone move your vehicle out of ER parking ASAP or you'll be towed.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's the norm here in Austin. And you're expected to have someone move your vehicle out of ER parking ASAP or you'll be towed.
Interesting. I suppose maybe inside the city of Chicago it'd be the same. At least I didn't have to move my car.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

For those living in PA, CHIP has expanded to include all kids in uninsured families. It is totally free if income in below a certain amount and then is scaled depending on income. Still very reasonable and covers medical, dental & vision.

http://chipcoverspakids.reachlocal.net/

Adults can also apply but there is a waiting list. You can buy the coverage for about $350 a month.
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
For those living in PA, CHIP has expanded to include all kids in uninsured families. It is totally free if income in below a certain amount and then is scaled depending on income. Still very reasonable and covers medical, dental & vision.

http://chipcoverspakids.reachlocal.net/

Adults can also apply but there is a waiting list. You can buy the coverage for about $350 a month.
What happens to said children when they become adults?

Let me see... our family of 2 parents + 3 adult (but still dependent) sons would be paying 5 x 350 =
Old Apr 14th 2007, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

danfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond reputedanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
What happens to said children when they become adults?

Let me see... our family of 2 parents + 3 adult (but still dependent) sons would be paying 5 x 350 =
LOL they get a job and struggle for insurance like the rest of us.

Put it this way though - our little company cannot afford employee health insurance so we have this for the kids. Knowing that if they get sick, I'm not going to be posting fundraising blogs and doing sponsored swims across the atlantic to pay for their healthcare is enough peace of mind for me until they are 19!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.