Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Children home alone

Children home alone

Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children home alone

Several neighbours of mine leave their kids home alone at the age of 8 and younger. I went to drop my daughter's 8 year old friend off one evening and when I noticed there was no lights on I asked her if anyone was home. She told me she knew the code to the garage door and she would be perfectly OK for a couple of hours on her own. I brought her back home with me and took her home when her parents were in.

This is the same family who took my daughter (I let her go after much persuasion by her and my husband) to their shore house for the weekend and let two 9 year old girls go to the beach, town and local pool by themselves. I was a nervous wreck and didn't sleep at all for 3 nights, in fact if my husband hadn't stopped me I would have driven to the shore and brought my daughter home. Needless to say she will not be going with them again.

My son was 13 before I would leave both my children home alone.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

All very odd.

I went to school by myself from the age of 7, School Bus, then Train then later normal Bus.

I can not remember for certain but by the age of 11, I am sure I was pretty much a free agent during the day. So were the vast majority of my peers.

The 4 year old took herself off to school, had a fit, the 7 year old is quite capable.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As I said its normal in NJ for children to babysit when they are 11 and even younger.
11 FFS, there not even Teens, and from what I've seen no where near as mature as British Kid's. Have never left my Child with a baby sitter over here, even if I was back home would not leave my niece at that age with him.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

its funny how times change and how parenting varies so much
actually droping them off at school early could be an option i will look into whether the school has a breakfast club
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
its funny how times change and how parenting varies so much
actually droping them off at school early could be an option i will look into whether the school has a breakfast club
Some schools have a boys and girl's club that you can drop them off early. Our school does. Also, I've heard that 10 is an acceptable age to leave your child alone, probably varies by State. But, I think it really is down to the child, every child is different.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of school districts out here in AZ have child care at the actual school. It's a before and after programme and some are run from six in the morning until school starts and after school until six at night, to allow parents who commute, or work late/early to have their kids cared for.

During the time there, they are fed, do their homework and have activities. There is a fee, don't know how much as it varies from district to district, but I'm sure if you go on to your school's web site, there should be a link there which will give you the info.

I have a Sherrif friend and we were discussing ages that kids could be left here in AZ, and he told me that there is no age restriction, any child can be left as long as the parent believes that they are competent to be left alone, and the parent can't be prossecuted for leaving them. :scared: I know!!!

Hope this helps, check out the web sites and it should give you more imput. Also, remember to keep your immunisation cards handy with all your kids jabs on, as the school will want to see these when you register your kids. Especially Hep B...if they haven't had the course started yet, you might want to think about getting their first jab for it while at home and continuing once you're over here.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for that, have just informed the little darlings that they will be having the last of their hep b jabs tommorrow morning lol
'but its the first week of the holidays its not fair' was the reply
awww
oh well at least i know i wont be breaking the law, they are sensible most of the time bless em
Old Jul 27th 2006, 4:30 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

yeah i did think about that but with us being newly arrived i suppose its a case of who do you trust?
they are pretty good kids, they have their moments though i trust them but i didnt want to get in trouble!
I was babysitting babies when I was 11. Looking back now .... I probably shouldn't have been - it was quite common back then.

You won't get in trouble ..... just don't tell anybody.

I'm just joking, it's not against the law to leave kids that age on their own for a little while after school etc....
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I think the age down here is 12, but not too sure. Yours should be fine for those few minutes.

englishnurse, just watch those school breakfasts'! Donuts, muffins, etc..
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
I think the age down here is 12, but not too sure. Yours should be fine for those few minutes.

englishnurse, just watch those school breakfasts'! Donuts, muffins, etc..
Very true! Exactly why I wouldn't have my daughter eat her breakfast or lunch at school. I cannot believe the crap they serve kids (and get away with) today.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Very true! Exactly why I wouldn't have my daughter eat her breakfast or lunch at school. I cannot believe the crap they serve kids (and get away with) today.
Got to love our Jamie, his done so much to change all that back home
Old Jul 27th 2006, 6:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

hi just wondered about the legality of leaving children at home on their own, i work nights i get home at 7:45 my husband leaves for work at 7:15, so for half an hour they are on their own, we are moving to az in september, would this be allowed there or would i be hung for it
the children are 12 and 11
thanks
As someone else said it depends on the child. Personally, I left my two daughters alone for a brief time when I had to leave for school in the evening after working all day and until their babysitter got there 45 - 60 minutes after I left. They were 12 and 9 at the time.

Once they were 15 and 12, babysitters were a thing of the past even for the 12 year old alone. They knew the do's and don't's of being a latchkey child.

Of course in today's world, you have the luxury of having a cell phone on you at all times that they can call you on. Program the phone for a push of one button to connect them with you.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:51 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

from a practical side, I believe that leaving children from around this age for short periods of time teaches them responsibility that can be built on. It is much better to start off like this than wait until they are 14 or 15 and then suddenly leave them for hours at a time.

I don't believe 12 and 11 is too young as long as they know what to do in an emergency, how to lock the house up properly and to know that this is serious responsibility and not something to boast about to their friends.

With it being a new country, I would just recommend you run through all emergency procedures with them as if there was a real emergency. That way you know they will be fine. You could also get them a pay-as-you-go phone so they can call you when they are on the bus for school.

As far as before and afterclubs are concerned - the ages your children are they would be in middle school where we are and there aren't before and after school clubs for this age and older at the schools. This stops after 5th grade. There is a presumption that a bit of responsibility is expected at this age and older and the schools encourage this where we are.