Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Childcare work in the US

Childcare work in the US

Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

wichy10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Childcare work in the US

I live and work in NJ and my partner in the UK is considering moving to US. Her background is in childcare and is keen to find work in this field- where is the best place to look for childcare work and what is the visa situation regarding this eg. what visa can she obtain working within childcare? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:49 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Childcare work in the US

This might help you out.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

Last edited by sime303; Mar 8th 2010 at 1:57 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 1:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wichy10
I live and work in NJ and my partner in the UK is considering moving to US. Her background is in childcare and is keen to find work in this field- where is the best place to look for childcare work and what is the visa situation regarding this eg. what visa can she obtain working within childcare? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is highly unlikely your partner would be able to secure the right to live and work in the US on the basis of her childcare experience.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Since you ask for help... marry your partner - unless you're a same sex couple. If you are, sorry... but the US doesn't recognize SSM for immigration purposes (which, perhaps, is why you're asking about employment based immigration). If you're not a same sex couple, then marriage is likely the only way she'll get to live/work in the US.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2010, 3:06 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Since you ask for help... marry your partner - unless you're a same sex couple. If you are, sorry... but the US doesn't recognize SSM for immigration purposes (which, perhaps, is why you're asking about employment based immigration). If you're not a same sex couple, then marriage is likely the only way she'll get to live/work in the US.

Ian
And that's only if the OP is a USC. If he's an LPR, there will be a long wait for an immigrant visa for his wife.

Rene
Old Mar 8th 2010, 8:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Best way to look for jobs would be as usual, local job sites, but you'd need to go through the hassle of getting certified by the state and whatever they require but the jobs probably won't lead to a work sponsor though as there's not a shortage over here.
Old Mar 8th 2010, 11:59 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Most childcare jobs here require ECE's and lots of them, theres a glut of young women who have been to community college and have 20 or 30 units done and are looking for the work around us. My friend does that work for the county education department preschool/daycare program and earns a whopping $8 a hour, for all that time in further education.
Many people do however hire daily nannies instead of using daycare and that pays better.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:19 am
Just Joined

wichy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're not same sex partners, but i like the tactful nature of your post! Is nannying therefore the most likely option for a Brit coming over to work in the industry and if so what is the best route into the field?
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:20 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

We're not same sex partners, but i like the tactful nature of your post!
I think you might be the only person in 13 years of following this newsgroup, who has ever used the word "tactful" to refer to one of my posts. That's not what people usually call me! But I appreciate it... thanks!

Ian
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:28 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

We're not same sex partners, but i like the tactful nature of your post! Is nannying therefore the most likely option for a Brit coming over to work in the industry and if so what is the best route into the field?
There are temporary nanny visas, usually for live-in positions, usually filled by Very Young People (women).

If you are trying to find out how your friend can move to the US to live and work, you'd do much better to read the Pulaski's Ways article and make a new post in the Immigration forum.

Limiting yourself with the question you've posed probably won't get you too far.
That said, just get married.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

coral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nicecoral11680 is just really nice

Hi,
I used to live in NJ and worked as a teachers assistant in a daycare. You can easily get a job doing that with no qualifications, just some childcare experience. Pay is pretty bad though. I started at $8.50 an hour and after a year when up to $9.50 an hour.
I agree with previous posters easiest way to get her to the US is to marry her.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 12:08 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

As others are hinting, getting the job is not the problem. Jobs are jobs and people get them and whatever.

The problem is the visa--FULL STOP. The wiki link is probably the best place to start (though I don't think you'll have much luck there, which is why folks are hinting at the marriage thing). There is a slight angle on a J1 au pair visa, but it is very complicated with many restrictions.

http://exchanges.state.gov/jexchange...ms/aupair.html
Old Mar 9th 2010, 1:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I had assumed you were going to marry and the job came second, It'll be tough getting a visa unless she is going to work for the Rockefeller family. Marriage or discover that her Dad was a USC all along is the best bet.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 2:23 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I had assumed you were going to marry and the job came second, It'll be tough getting a visa unless she is going to work for the Rockefeller family. Marriage or discover that her Dad was a USC all along is the best bet.
I remember that... The thread started with "How do I move to the US" and suddenly went to "Holy shit, I'm a Citizen!"