Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Child Born In US Obtaining US & UK Passports

Child Born In US Obtaining US & UK Passports

Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Child Born In US Obtaining US & UK Passports

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Bolded part my emphasis.
But should you or your child lose the original that was issued less than 3 months after a birth (like I did with my sons) a new one will not be accepted for UK passport, so for us it was well worth the money.
That's simply not true. I recently used a US birth cert issued 5 YEARS after my daughter was born to obtain her UK passport. They MIGHT ask if the child was adopted if the US birth cert was issued more than 3 months after the date of birth but only if they suspect that the child's status is in doubt.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teach3r
If you are a US citizen like my son you can ONLY travel on a USA passport... he, at the age of 5mths was denied re-entry because he only had UK passport. We had to goto us embassy in london and it was a lot of hassle
Like I said. If you're a US citizen, you can't use another countries passport, but the US cannot deny you entry to the country, so even without a passport but a lot of hassle you could be admitted, but as I said, that doesn't mean that the airline will let you on the plane.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
That's simply not true. I recently used a US birth cert issued 5 YEARS after my daughter was born to obtain her UK passport. They MIGHT ask if the child was adopted if the US birth cert was issued more than 3 months after the date of birth but only if they suspect that the child's status is in doubt.
Oh god, not again...a single case does not the majority make.

You can not state that your experience is universal when it is not.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just got lucky, and it slid by.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I think you just got lucky, and it slid by.
Twice? My daughter's first UK passport was obtained with a US birth cert that was issued 1 year after her birth. Her second UK passport was obtained recently using a US birth cert issued 5 years after her birth. No questions asked either time.

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh god, not again...a single case does not the majority make.

You can not state that your experience is universal when it is not.
What exactly are you saying? That US birth certs issued more than 3 months after the date of birth cannot be used to obtain a UK passport? If so, you're wrong. Let's examine the actual policy here:

http://www.ips.gov.uk/cps/files/ips/...TO_PUBLISH.pdf

Here's the relevant text:

United States adoption and birth certificates
A recent case was highlighted where there was a United States "birth certificate" that did not indicate the child was adopted.
Staff dealing with such certificates should:
• Compare the date the birth certificate was issued to that of the child’s date of birth.
• If there are discrepancies between these dates of 3 months or more discreet enquiries should be made to the person making the application to explain the discrepancy between these dates.
Please note that this procedure may only be adopted when status is in doubt.
All cases of doubt should be referred to an HEO or above for a decision to be made or for consultation with a member of HQ Policy Team.

Note that this DOES NOT state that a US birth cert issued more than 3 months after the date of birth cannot be used to obtain a UK passport. Let's let that sink in for a while...ok? Let me repeat that I've obtained 2 UK passports with such birth certs (the second very recently).

All that will happen with an enquiry (if it even happens - and it didn't happen TWICE for me) is that they will discreetly ask the parents to explain the discrepancies between the dates. And even then ONLY IF STATUS IS IN DOUBT- so it's not even an automatic action. If they are not satisfied with the explanation, then it's fairly easy to prove that the child was not adopted. US hospitals also issue a birth registration document. US hospitals report details of the birth to the state in which the birth took place. Medical records, medical bills, health insurance records, baptismal records, etc can all be used very easily to satisfy any enquiry.

So let's stop pretending that there is a rule or a law that says that US birth certs issued 3 months after the date of birth cannot be used to obtain a UK passport. If there is such a rule or law then please point it out.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:00 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

US birth certificates are reissued after an adoption and look exactly like the originals only they change the names in the mother and father section to show the names of the adopted parents. We know this we have one and it looks like I gave birth in a county I've never been to. A friend managed to give birth to two babies born in separate counties only 15 days apart, both full term according to her childrens birth certificates and another has given birth in multiple states she hasn't traveled too, her oldest having been born when she was a young teen and didn't even know her Dh, yet both are listed on the birth certificate. Thats why they don't want birth certificates issued after 3mths of age.
Its only a matter of time before they just refuse any US certificates not issued within a few weeks of birth all together. seeing they don't show adopted on the certificates. Adopted children aren't UK citizens by descent unlike birth children, something we didn't realize before the adoption, and need to be registered as a UK citizen.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 4:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

All that will happen with an enquiry (if it even happens - and it didn't happen TWICE for me) is that they will discreetly ask the parents to explain the discrepancies between the dates. And even then ONLY IF STATUS IS IN DOUBT- so it's not even an automatic action. If they are not satisfied with the explanation, then it's fairly easy to prove that the child was not adopted. US hospitals also issue a birth registration document. US hospitals report details of the birth to the state in which the birth took place. Medical records, medical bills, health insurance records, baptismal records, etc can all be used very easily to satisfy any enquiry.

So let's stop pretending that there is a rule or a law that says that US birth certs issued 3 months after the date of birth cannot be used to obtain a UK passport. If there is such a rule or law then please point it out.
They might have cooled down a little but until recently they were sending back any application based on a more than 3 month old birth certificate, eg:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542570

Medical records, medical bills, health insurance records, baptismal records, etc can all be used very easily to satisfy any enquiry.

Not after 20-30 years when all the documentation has been lost, destroyed, etc.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

US birth certificates are reissued after an adoption and look exactly like the originals only they change the names in the mother and father section to show the names of the adopted parents. We know this we have one and it looks like I gave birth in a county I've never been to. A friend managed to give birth to two babies born in separate counties only 15 days apart, both full term according to her childrens birth certificates and another has given birth in multiple states she hasn't traveled too, her oldest having been born when she was a young teen and didn't even know her Dh, yet both are listed on the birth certificate. Thats why they don't want birth certificates issued after 3mths of age.
Its only a matter of time before they just refuse any US certificates not issued within a few weeks of birth all together. seeing they don't show adopted on the certificates. Adopted children aren't UK citizens by descent unlike birth children, something we didn't realize before the adoption, and need to be registered as a UK citizen.
You are speculating. I've already given you an official link to a document that states their policy when they encounter such birth certs. Did you read it? It doesn't say that they reject US birth certs with a date of issue more than 3 months after the date of birth. It states what they do in these cases.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Like everyone is saying though, the consensus is, simply register for future proofing, especially as plenty of people have had problems, even if you did not. Not a terribly hard concept.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

You are speculating. I've already given you an official link to a document that states their policy when they encounter such birth certs. Did you read it? It doesn't say that they reject US birth certs with a date of issue more than 3 months after the date of birth. It states what they do in these cases.
And they do, in fact often ask for further proof, especially so in a first time passport, or when you don't have your parents passports.

It's all well and good to recommend something based on what has happened to you, but it's not very helpful to people when it all goes south, when the whole point of registering, no mention of getting the certificate here, is such an easy thing to do.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

We are planning to move back to the UK soon after the birth of the baby - basically, I don't think I have given myself enough time to apply for the British passport through the British Embassy (who say it can take 6 weeks) once I have the baby's local birth certificate in hand.

I know I can register the birth and get the passport once we are in the UK. Will we be hassled if baby only has a US passport when we return? I will have on me - both our birth certificates, marriage certificate as well as our passports. Can we go through the UK/EU line?

Thanks!
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:32 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hd44
We are planning to move back to the UK soon after the birth of the baby - basically, I don't think I have given myself enough time to apply for the British passport through the British Embassy (who say it can take 6 weeks) once I have the baby's local birth certificate in hand.

I know I can register the birth and get the passport once we are in the UK. Will we be hassled if baby only has a US passport when we return? I will have on me - both our birth certificates, marriage certificate as well as our passports. Can we go through the UK/EU line?

Thanks!
Your baby will be admitted as a visitor. An American visitor.
6 months.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by meauxna
Your baby will be admitted as a visitor. An American visitor.
6 months.
But some people in the past, with proof of UK citizenship have been then able to pay large sums of money to correct that issue.

It's a major hassle.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

hd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nicehd44 is just really nice

We rang up UK border agency and they said to just get an emergency passport for the baby - it's not really an emergency though. Going to ring the Embassy and see what they suggest.

Thanks guys.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

catbri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalBrit
My children have US and UK passports - born in US to British parents.

I used the standard US birth certificates for both passports with no problems.

The only issues I would point out are:

1. when living in the UK we had to go in person to the US Embassy in London with child and both parents to renew their US passports.

2. If your child has both passports they MUST now enter the US on the US passport (or surrender US citizenship) AND they must enter the UK on the UK passport. The UK situation is not quite so extreme, but I have had two occasions where the lack of UK passport has been an issue.

(1) travelling to UK with first child on US passport before obtaining UK passport, I was advised to a very least get "Right of Abode" put into her passport. However UK will not give "Right of Abode" to anyone who is eligible for a UK passport.

(2) on one occasion we travelled from the UK to France, her UK passport had expired (we were living in the UK at the time) so we decided to use the US one. However on return to UK she was almost refused entry as she should have been travelling on a UK passport, after about 40 minutes debate and consultation with senior immigration officials they stamped her into the UK for 3 months with instructions that we must immediately renew the UK passport.

SO I advise you to obtain both passports and keep them both valid at all times.

BTW the UK passport can be obtained and renewed through British Embassy in Washington DC - by mail!
Hi Calbrit,
Thanks for the info. My husband and I are both from Scotland but we have B1/B2 visas as we spend about half the year in the US each year. We recently found out we are pregnant and we're trying to weigh up our options for either a birth in the US or going home to the UK. Ideally, it would be far easier (logistically) to give birth in the US since my husband spends much time travelling to the Bahamas for work. My main concerns are:
1. How difficult is it to get a US passport since we are both UK citizens and therefore only have UK forms of ID? Also, does it take a long time to get processed?
2. I wasn't exactly sure about the 'Right of Abode' thing...is this something they put in the US passport?
3. On re-entry to the US, will customs and immigration be okay with us bringing in a child with a US passport whilst ours are both from the UK?
4. Often when booking flights online, you need to give your passport number, does this mean that you'd give 1 of them but just produce the relevant passport when you arrive in either place?
5. I am planning on travelling back to the UK shortly after the baby is born (depending on how long it takes to get the passport sorted) and getting the baby's UK passport asap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.