Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

'Chick' Flicks

'Chick' Flicks

Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile 'Chick' Flicks

Has anyone seen "Alfie" yet? I'm probably going with a girlfriend to see it - but although Jude Law is 'hot' I just don't know how the film can top the original movie starring Michael Caine....the remake is probably more PC I should think?

I'm looking forward to seeing "Bridget Jones - the Edge of Reason" - even though I never read Helen Fielding's follow up to her original book as the reviews weren't very good for it. On the other hand, a couple of reviews I've read for the forthcoming movie have been very favourable. The problem is, I've seen enough of the various trailers for this film that I feel as if I've seen most of it already!

I've been lucky enough to borrow a copy of the DVD of Series 4 of the Granada TV production "Cold Feet" from another expat which a relative had given her as a gift. Like me, she left the UK ten years ago and also lived in the Far East, so we had never seen or heard of this series. I can't believe how good it is! (I think it may have been on BBC America but I rarely watch this channel anymore because of all the stupid adverts and weird programme schedule). I've just spotted that the complete series 1-5 is available on http://www.amazon.co.uk so I think I'll be adding that to the Xmas pressie list my husband always asks me to compile!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 'Chick' Flicks

Originally Posted by Englishmum
.... I can't believe how good it is! (I think it may have been on BBC America but I rarely watch this channel anymore because of all the stupid adverts and weird programme schedule). I've just spotted that the complete series 1-5 is available on http://www.amazon.co.uk so I think I'll be adding that to the Xmas pressie list my husband always asks me to compile!
Aye, it's pretty good....really sad end to the series tho

And chick flicks, errr...can't really stand most of them, but love actually weren't bad
Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone seen "Alfie" yet? I'm probably going with a girlfriend to see it - but although Jude Law is 'hot' I just don't know how the film can top the original movie starring Michael Caine....the remake is probably more PC I should think?

I'm looking forward to seeing "Bridget Jones - the Edge of Reason" - even though I never read Helen Fielding's follow up to her original book as the reviews weren't very good for it. On the other hand, a couple of reviews I've read for the forthcoming movie have been very favourable. The problem is, I've seen enough of the various trailers for this film that I feel as if I've seen most of it already!

I've been lucky enough to borrow a copy of the DVD of Series 4 of the Granada TV production "Cold Feet" from another expat which a relative had given her as a gift. Like me, she left the UK ten years ago and also lived in the Far East, so we had never seen or heard of this series. I can't believe how good it is! (I think it may have been on BBC America but I rarely watch this channel anymore because of all the stupid adverts and weird programme schedule). I've just spotted that the complete series 1-5 is available on http://www.amazon.co.uk so I think I'll be adding that to the Xmas pressie list my husband always asks me to compile!
My brother got me series one as a welcome back present after I'd been out of the UK since 1983, and I was hooked. Saw the second series on re-run when I was back in the UK, but have tried to get US DVD's of later series without success. I can't hack my DVD player here, or I'd buy the other series in the UK. Great program!

Sorry, I'm not a chick, but thought I'd post anyway!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 4:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
M...I can't hack my DVD player here, or I'd buy the other series in the UK. Great program!
What player dya have? and there are cheapo ones that are multi regional, might be worth getting just to play movies from blighty, best buy and places for $35
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
What player dya have? and there are cheapo ones that are multi regional, might be worth getting just to play movies from blighty, best buy and places for $35
I have a Sony DVP-NS715P and Hitachi DV-P315. Last time I checked, I don't think either was hack-able. I've read about these chepo multi-region/hackable players, but three players in one house just seems a tad excessive.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:35 pm
Lurk Lurk Lurk

tinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of lighttinaflorida is a glorious beacon of light

We have two cheapo DVD playes that I can play all my Brit DVDs on without a problem. I think we bought them both in Circuit City. Since we got them, I've always come back from Blighty with armfulls of DVDs! I'm currently working my way through the Men Behaving Badly DVD box set. I almost bought the Cold Feet box set last time I was over, and will probably get it when I go back next month.

As for chick flicks... I am a total sucker for them. I'll probably go and see Alfie, and I'll definitely see Edge of Reason... I loved the first one!
Old Nov 6th 2004, 6:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

I have a Sony DVP-NS715P and Hitachi DV-P315. Last time I checked, I don't think either was hack-able. I've read about these chepo multi-region/hackable players, but three players in one house just seems a tad excessive.
The sony is hackable, but it's hardwired, so if your interested in the chip:

http://www.dvdupgrades.info/cgi-bin/shop/10007.html

and the hitachi, don't know if it'll work, but here's a link, and it mentions the chip set, so could try others.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...itachi+DVP315E
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:03 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bob
The sony is hackable, but it's hardwired, so if your interested in the chip:

http://www.dvdupgrades.info/cgi-bin/shop/10007.html

and the hitachi, don't know if it'll work, but here's a link, and it mentions the chip set, so could try others.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...itachi+DVP315E
Didn't work, but thanks. First step is to hit the Return button, then hit a series of numbers. Didn't get past the first step (i.e., hittng the Return button has no effect), so at the end when "2" is supposed to appear (indicating region) it doesn't. Worth a try, though.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Didn't work, but thanks. First step is to hit the Return button, then hit a series of numbers. Didn't get past the first step (i.e., hittng the Return button has no effect), so at the end when "2" is supposed to appear (indicating region) it doesn't. Worth a try, though.
Aye, worth a go, oh well
But you tried the chip set it mentioned as well? Probably have
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks.ph...&Search=Search

Well I dont' think getting the chip for the sony is worth the money, there are plenty out there, players that is, for less
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:09 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>
I was thinking of starting a thread on 'Alfie' anyway but Englishmum beat me to it!

I'm in two minds as to whether to see it on the big screen or not. I've seen the original (on TV) and it's a classic and I know the remake is set in NY and has some storyline changes to make it more contemporary. There's always the draw of British "eye candy", Jude Law too.

Maybe if any of you Brits see 'Alife', can you post a review?

I'm more likely to want to go to see the upcoming Bridget Jones film. The main reason is that I saw the first film which was pretty good despite Hugh Grant's presence in the film (it was counterbalanced by Colin Firth's performance).

I haven't read the book either so I can't get too annoyed when the film strays from the original source.

Again, if any Brits see this film, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts of the movie.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm more likely to want to go to see the upcoming Bridget Jones film. The main reason is that I saw the first film which was pretty good despite Hugh Grant's presence in the film (it was counterbalanced by Colin Firth's performance).
What ruined the movie for me, wiggie...she's annoying *l*
Old Nov 6th 2004, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Alfie has been voted one of the worst remakes of all time. Although I feel sorry for Mr Caine, his other great film The Italian Job was ruined when remade.

The Ladykillers is another shining example of a great film ruined by remake. Anyone who has seen the b & w original with Sir Alec Guiness, Peter Sellers & Herbert Lom would know how poor the Tom Hanks version was.
Old Nov 6th 2004, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Alfie has been voted one of the worst remakes of all time. Although I feel sorry for Mr Caine, his other great film The Italian Job was ruined when remade.
caine get a cameo in alfie?
As for the italian job, to be fair, at least they made it into a new story all together, it weren't bad, not the same feel to it, but then they didn't get the rights to do a proper remake either
Old Nov 14th 2004, 4:36 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did go and see 'Alfie' last night (whilst teenage son and my husband went to see 'Seed of Chuckie' in the adjoining cinema LOL!)

Unfortunately the sound quality in the cinema was awful....it only seemed that the speakers immediately in front of the screen were working so that wasn't a good start.

Jude Law is absolutely gorgeous....so is Sienna Miller who is one of his girls in the movie (and now is current real-life girlfriend). Sadly, the film is just not anywhere near as good as the version starring Michael Caine. It all seemed to be sanitized and more PC than the Sixties version. The story line was too far-fetched....Alfie is a chauffeur for a limo company - this version is set in NYC instead of London - yet he can afford to have his own (fairly decent) Manhatten apartment with no flatmates (unless you count Sienna Miller who moved in for a while). No way does this resemble reality!

Even the single mother (Marisa Tomei) seemed to be doing very nicely for herself despite not appearing to have a job and so did all the other girlfriends (although one worked in a bar so was probably on minimum wage). Susan Sarandon as the mature mistress was a huge disappointment....certainly not a patch on Shelley Winters in the original movie. Jude Law's 'Alfie' just didn't seem to be anything like a rat compared to Caine's version and shows more care and compassion. It just didn't work.

Oh well, I'm off to see the new 'Bridget Jones' movie tonight with a girlfriend but I'm not too optimistic about that one either (hubby came back from London on Friday night and the UK newspaper reviews weren't very enthusiastic - it fares poorly compared to the first movie). Still, there's bound to be a few laughs for sure.
Old Nov 14th 2004, 6:45 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's not a chick flick, but if we're recommending current movies then "Sideways" is worth seeing. The Mrs and I saw it last night, and found it to be a rare example of a movie that still makes you giggle out loud thinking about it on the way home. Might have to hunt around for it, as it doesn't seem to be on in most multiplexes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.