Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago - whats it like living there?

Chicago - whats it like living there?

Old Oct 25th 2006, 3:50 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago - whats it like living there?

For walking, Starved Rock State Park out in Ottawa is quite lovely. Silly name, yes, but it's historical. They also have quite a lovely lodge out there, so once you're done hiking the 13 miles of trail, you can stop off there for a nice hot choccy.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/educati...rt/starved.htm
http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/landmgt...tarve/park.htm
http://www.starvedrocklodge.com/
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:05 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Terrier
Keep out of Wheaton then! The wife and I biked to Wheaton along the Praire Path on Sunday afternoon to have a pint at a bar we had seen, we were sitting outside having a nice cold one when this group of about 5 people start calling me the devil 'cos I am having a pint!!! I kindly ask them to **** off before I set the wife on them and they leave shouting all kinds of stuff at me! Strange.
Another time we went to Wheaton to the forign foods store they have come out of the store there are about 3 different flyers on the car all about loading up on guns and reclaiming the country in the name of God, it was real Waco type stuff. I was so shocked I took it to the police station in Glen Ellyn to report it, did'nt want to go to the one in Wheaton in case they were in on the whole thing!, anyhow the cop in GE just too a look at the stuff and said it was pretty normal for Wheaton!!!! Not been back since, I drive right through now and peddel pretty hard when biking through there too!
Jayzus. I've lived in Wheaton for five years and never seen anything remotely like that. Don't get me wrong, as I pointed out before this is definitely a conservative Christian town but certainly not full of militant zealots. It seems like just a quiet bedroom community with tree-lined streets to me.

One note: there's a large probability that a Democrat (Tammy Duckworth) will win the DuPage county US Rep seat this year. This is akin to George Bush carrying Manhattan...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:10 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybersecretary
thank you David, its nice to know that we can get some info on housing/location from somewhere. I would like to live somewhere with a small town/village feel, I do live in Suffolk just now after all - the job (should he be successful) would be in Wood Dale. Absolutely NO idea what that area is like, I have just been searching on Chicago Tribune real estate links for Du Page County. Its all guess work just now!!!!
Er, keep in mind that his experience was from 25-30 years ago. To say the area has changed drastically in the interim would be an understatement. For the past decade, DuPage has been one of the fastest growing areas in the country (for several years, Naperville was the fastest growing town in the entire US(!)). The influx of people on a daily basis is astonishing.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

David Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Richardson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Er, keep in mind that his experience was from 25-30 years ago. To say the area has changed drastically in the interim would be an understatement. For the past decade, DuPage has been one of the fastest growing areas in the country (for several years, Naperville was the fastest growing town in the entire US(!)). The influx of people on a daily basis is astonishing.
Yes you're right I haven't LIVED there for 25 years but I've returned frequently over the years ( wife's family there and my youngest son in college there). I'm well aware that the area has continued to grow westward, southward etc and not always for the better either. Chicago is like a lot of other large cities - ringed with ever expanding bedroom communities. BTW. Forsyth County , GA was the fastest growing county in the country for 3 years in a row until about 2005 and I lived there for 7 years until we moved closer to Atlanta 3 years ago.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
That's no longer true either. There's no space left in DuPage County! Its place has been taken by Kendall County. Oswego in particular is growing exponentially, and once the Metra line goes out there, prices will rise even more.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:16 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Chicago - whats it like living there?

Originally Posted by istoleabloke
From what I have read of those moving to the US from the UK, you should BRING your duvet with you. I have read that the ones in the US are quite lacking in comparison.

And, yes, bring lots of Cadbury's. I'll be glad to meet you at O'Hare and give you a ride to your destination for a big tin of Roses.

As far as moving to a big city in the US, I don't think you could find one much better than Chicago, all things considered. I hope you have a VERY warm coat if you'll be moving in January/February, though! Of course, you can stroll The Magnificent Mile and buy one there.

Best of luck on the future and hope things work out for you. Be sure to stop in at the Cheesecake Factory and have something yummy.
thanks for the tip, warm coats at the ready and yes, can negotiate a suitcase full of cadburys for all those desperate.....
Old Oct 26th 2006, 6:39 am
In Orange County, CA.

cybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond reputecybersecretary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
That's no longer true either. There's no space left in DuPage County! Its place has been taken by Kendall County. Oswego in particular is growing exponentially, and once the Metra line goes out there, prices will rise even more.
was looking at google satellite images of the area and it is just row after row after row after row of housing units, intersperced with industrial/commercial units....... cant be as bad as LA though can it??
Old Oct 26th 2006, 12:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

was looking at google satellite images of the area and it is just row after row after row after row of housing units, intersperced with industrial/commercial units....... cant be as bad as LA though can it??
http://local.live.com/

check that out, has a nice birds eye view and a lot of the images are more up to date than googles..
Old Oct 26th 2006, 2:03 pm
Maz

I've never been to LA, but if that's just new housing development after new housing development, then yep, that's it!

Bob, interesting link!
Old Oct 26th 2006, 3:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's why we didn't move there...Chicago is a great city though.
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

where I am in LA thats exactly what we have.... driving down a main road you get.

McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments, McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments...

10 miles later and nothing looks any different...
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:19 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound
where I am in LA thats exactly what we have.... driving down a main road you get.

McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments, McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments,McDonalds, Carls Jnr, Dennys, Apartments...

There are no Carl's Jr. restaurants matching your search criteria near , , 34667 You may try another search.

How lucky we are ...
Old Oct 26th 2006, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go wrong with Chicago unless you end up in some crappy ghetto - like I did after taking a wrong turn one night... oh the fun we had there...

Anyway... it's a great city.. I wish I was still there, well for the summers at least.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

ok so plans changed.... the company I'm talking to just moved... wondered why they didn't reply to messages all week...

we're still talking Chicago but now its CENTRAL......

~200 West Ohio Street

so I'm looking for info on 'burbs from central to 30mins away...
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USBound

What - not even a Pollo Loco?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.