Reload this Page >

Chicago Tips?

Chicago Tips?

Old Dec 26th 2016, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

hughiemg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chicago Tips?

Happy Christmas all,

My company has approached me to relocate from the UK to Chicago on a two year placement, so I'm wondering if anyone has any Chicago specific advice please?

I have already had a good browse of the previous threads and have seen some great tips (already applied for an Amex card so that I can port it to the US in a few months..)

I would be working out in Glenview which is north of Chicago, but I'd prefer to live closer in to the city.

I had a drive around when I was over a month back and I quite liked Lakeview / Wrigleyville, but am wondering if that will be a difficult commute to and from work...

Its just me, no family moving over so I'm pretty flexible on accommodation.

Funnily enough the only real requirement I would have is that I love my motorbikes... so I'd probably need a garage unit / storage to keep one.

I'm a tad daunted by the prospect of moving so and advice would be gratefully received....

Thanks!
Old Dec 26th 2016, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago Tips?

Welcome to BE!

There are lots of options moving North from the loop, but let's get a bit more info, so we can be more specific:

What do you look for in your immediate surrounds by way of transportation, demographics, entertainment? Since you mentioned Wrigley: do you like calling people 'bro'?? Any hobbies apart from the motorcycles (road or trail?)?
Old Dec 27th 2016, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Ha, not particularly a massive bro head.. it was more the feel of lots of restaurants and bars around that area! It was the lakeview area that I liked.....

In to road bikes (more ducati than harley...) running and having a few beers / eating out.
I also love live music and definitely intend checking out Kingston Mines when I get a chance.

I guess the challenge is getting the balance right between getting a location with a bit going on without giving myself a horrendous commute.

Il have access to a company car but realise that depending on where I am living driving to work might not be the best option.

Any words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 27th 2016, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughiemg
Ha, not particularly a massive bro head.. it was more the feel of lots of restaurants and bars around that area! It was the lakeview area that I liked.....
I would check out Andersonville, Ravenswood, Lincoln Square. I think of Lakeview as a bit of a younger set, usually on the parents' dime (if you are in your 20s, that might work?). Last I heard, Edgewater was on the up, which will get you further north and probably a bit cheaper. Keep in mind: the Red line runs 24/7, while the Brown line does not, so if you're planning any nights out in the loop, you may want to stick to Red.

In to road bikes (more ducati than harley...) running and having a few beers / eating out.
I also love live music and definitely intend checking out Kingston Mines when I get a chance.
For running, you can't beat the lake, which would keep you east (Andersonville, Edgewater). On the bike, I would imagine the ride up to WI offers some nice opportunities for touring. Of course, the winter is harsh and long, and the roads definitely show it (my MX-5 hated the potholes!). From my experience, it's not amazingly difficult to find a garage spot (either via your building, or somewhere nearby), but your life will be easier if you budget paying for it from the outset.

I guess the challenge is getting the balance right between getting a location with a bit going on without giving myself a horrendous commute.
When I moved to Chicago (where I no longer live, I should say), I was facing the same thing and chose heavily on the side of having a life. My commute was not amazing, but I think when you first move somewhere it's better to feel like you are in the middle of things, especially if you are on your own! You can always move somewhere more sensible once you've made friends, got a feel for the city, figured out the ebbs and flows of commute, etc.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for fhe advice.

I guess the reality is that I will just have to drive around to get a feel for the different neighbourhoods when I actually move out there.

Work will put me up in a hotel for 60 days when I arrive which buys me sone time, wont be the best way to settle in though!
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

I almost forgot: if you like serious beer, Andersonville has the incomparable Hopleaf. Not far away is the Green Mill, where Chris Foreman's Hammond B-3 organ has Friday happy hour sorted.

I guess the reality is that I will just have to drive around to get a feel for the different neighbourhoods when I actually move out there.
Yes, a recce mission will go a long way. Just remember that things slow down a lot over winter, so it might be tricky judging the character over the next few months.

Work will put me up in a hotel for 60 days when I arrive which buys me sone time, wont be the best way to settle in though!
An ongoing gripe I have with Chicago is how ridiculously the hotels are clustered around the loop. I don't think there is a single hotel within range of the areas I mentioned! If you can swing an apartment rental/AirBnB in the general area you are looking, you will be much better served to see what's what.
Old Dec 28th 2016, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm wondering if anyone has any Chicago specific advice please?
Kevlar underwear?
Old Dec 28th 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond reputeCook_County has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retzie
I almost forgot: if you like serious beer, Andersonville has the incomparable Hopleaf. Not far away is the Green Mill, where Chris Foreman's Hammond B-3 organ has Friday happy hour sorted.

Yes, a recce mission will go a long way. Just remember that things slow down a lot over winter, so it might be tricky judging the character over the next few months.

An ongoing gripe I have with Chicago is how ridiculously the hotels are clustered around the loop. I don't think there is a single hotel within range of the areas I mentioned! If you can swing an apartment rental/AirBnB in the general area you are looking, you will be much better served to see what's what.
There are a few decent hotels in Evanston; which is kinda the right direction...
Old Dec 28th 2016, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
Kevlar underwear?
Lined kevlar underwear - it's as cold as the arctic.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

I live in Lakeview and commute into the loop every day. There are great transit options and the area feels very safe. People here do seem younger than when I lived in Old Town but I'm 50 and don't feel out of place.

Parking is an issue though - if you have a motorcycle you'll need an offstreet, probably covered space. I pay $275 per month for mine!

Feel free to ask me if you have any further questions about the area.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the posters are ignoring that you're working in Glenview, Is it Kraft/Heinz ? they have a few campuses in Glenview

Glenview is on the Metra-Line so it would be possible to live downtown and take the train from Union Station, unfortunately it's not really possible to cross from Metra Line to Metra Line they all converge on Downtown so you have to go in to go out

The problem with living in the North Neighbourhoods of Chicago that are near to the lake is the commute out, Peterson/Caldwell can be a bit of a pain as you get closer to the lake. From the North Neighbourhoods along the lake to Glenview you could be looking at an hour

Andersonville is one of the most Northern Neighbourhoods and would be a bit quicker to get to Glenview

Saugernash and Edgebrook are the two most Northern Neighbourhoods that sit alongside Peterson but their Public Transport into Chicago is limited (no EL so either Bus or Metra) and you'd need a car to get downtown but they are some of the most safest because of the huge amount of Chicago Police men & women living there

Lincoln Square is a bit further down Peterson and the Southern tip of it is great because the Brown Line runs there and the trip via Brown Line is pretty quick

You might consider Evanston, it's practically parallel to Glenview and taking Golf Rd would be pretty quick they even have a bus service along Golf and Evanston not-only has the Metra but an "El" service (The Purple Line) and the far South of Evanston is Howard which is the terminus of the Red-Line but you wouldn't want to leave in that area

But driving from Evanston to the Loop is a chore takes quite a while to get to Lake Shore Drive

I live in Niles which is directly South of Glenview so know that area particularly well so feel free to contact me about any Q's about it

Last edited by dave2702; Dec 30th 2016 at 9:23 pm.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

xathras is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, I live in Chicago - Lakeview area. My company used to be based in Itasca and the commute to work each day wasn't pretty. Whether it be train, El, bus or car.

I'd expect pretty similar issues for you based on your location preferences. I'd highly recommend you go to google maps and put in locations and set times to time you'd plan to go to work to get an idea of how bad traffic is. I did here: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lake...=en&authuser=0 and unfortunately its a good 45-1:45 depending on traffic etc. each way.

Evanston / Skokie would be a good option.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, there is some great advice here.

I had considered looking around lakeview and doing a combination of car and train to get out to Glenview, probably catching the commuter train at Mayfair.
I think this is likely an hour each way and probably not the cheapest option.

Someone at work recommended Evanston which I will take a look at, I guess my only concern is whether there is much going on there and its a bit far out to easily get in to the city centre.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

I had considered looking around lakeview and doing a combination of car and train to get out to Glenview, probably catching the commuter train at Mayfair.

Someone at work recommended Evanston which I will take a look at, I guess my only concern is whether there is much going on there and its a bit far out to easily get in to the city centre.
I don't know your age but there should be a bit going on in Evanston as Northwestern University dominates the town.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond reputedave2702 has a reputation beyond repute

Evanston is the home of Northwestern University and so has loads of things going on there, particularly because it has such a large student market

"Space" in Evanston is a great music venue for a lot of left-field bands and is attached to one of my favourite-ist pizza places in all of the US

Parking in Evanston is much easier you can usually find something on your street

As for getting into Chicago, Driving from there is horrible, you have to drive down Shermer for something like 10 miles before you even get to Lake Shore Drive

But it does have the Purple Line and Metra Systems, plus the Red Line right at its Southernmost tip

But that trip from Lakeview to Mayfair isn't going to be pleasant and with the vagaries of the traffic you're going to be relying on the half hour trains. Lincoln Avenue which would be your most likely route is only two lanes either way with people wanting to turn left (heading NW) all the time

Personally I'd seriously consider living right down town, West Loop is a really nice neighbourhood as is River North. Both of which you could walk to Union Station & take the Metra from there

Last edited by dave2702; Jan 3rd 2017 at 8:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.