Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Chicago for one day?

Chicago for one day?

Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chicago for one day?

So with this thread in mind for a road trip this summer.

We're definitely planning to spend a day in Chicago on the way.

The kids museum sounds good for a few hours and different from our local one as well as Boston.

Saying that, if you had one or two things that you had to do or go see in Chicago, what would they be? Bonus for being kid friendly and free/low cost.

How about cheap and different places to go eat for lunch/dinner in between those sites?

It's either going to be before or after 4th of July, but could be the 4th too if there's any recommendations for places to go see any fireworks?
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chicago for one day?

Originally Posted by Bob
So with this thread in mind for a road trip this summer.

We're definitely planning to spend a day in Chicago on the way.

The kids museum sounds good for a few hours and different from our local one as well as Boston.

Saying that, if you had one or two things that you had to do or go see in Chicago, what would they be? Bonus for being kid friendly and free/low cost.

How about cheap and different places to go eat for lunch/dinner in between those sites?

It's either going to be before or after 4th of July, but could be the 4th too if there's any recommendations for places to go see any fireworks?
I would definitely recommend the kids museum. My kids loved it! We went to Lincoln Park zoo which is free. We also had a giggle lying on the ground under that big shiny bean and taking pics. We went to Ginos East for dinner but it was a long wait for the food to come out but by god it was the best pizza I've ever had. It helped that we were taken out of line and straight in past about 50 other people as we were a group of 4 and not a couple or more than 4!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 9:26 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Shedd Aquarium and the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. The latter might not sound kid friendly, but if the kids are of school age - anything beyond toddlers - it is.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
Old Mar 4th 2013, 10:36 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Science and Industry and whatever they call the Sears Tower now.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 11:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Science and Industry and whatever they call the Sears Tower now.
I thought it was quite disappointing...the top of WTC bldg was much more impressive. Although it may be better now it has the see through viewing deck.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 12:38 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There is Navy Pier, which is mostly shopping and a sink hole for money, but there is a big wheel there if you like that sort of thing, and some of the boats that cruise on the lake leave from there. The Museum of Science and Industry is good for kids but is well south of the city and the whole trip will probably take up most of your day. The Aquarium is also good, tends to be packed, recommend advance purchase of tickets for all museums.

There is an "architecture tour" on the river, a bit more interesting than just sitting out in the Lake.

The Evanston fireworks are good (just north of the city) but you will have to get there early to be able to park and make your way to the beach to see them. The start as soon as it gets dark, 9 ish or a bit after, but you need to be there well before that and be prepared to walk quite a bit from any parking spot.

Top of the John Hancock is a nice view for a drink, but not with the kids of course. Their observation deck is quite nice though, since the building is close to the water. If it's open on July 4th, you might get some nice firework views.
The shiny bean thing and the garden near it are nice, and the Museum of hte Art Institute is right there, though your kids may not be quite the right age for that maybe. Worth a look though and they kids should be free if under 12.

Near Water Tower Place you can rent a pony and carriage taxi and ride around a bit downtown. Kids might like that.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

Navy Pier has great fireworks every Wed & Sat throughout the summer. The schedule is at http://www.navypier.com/things2do/fireworks.html
July 4th fireworks are going to be on Wed July 3rd!
Millennium Park: As well as "The Bean" there is also the Crown Fountain if the kids are still of an age for playing in water.
A little further on there's Buckingham Fountain - be sure to get there on the hour for a very impressive 20 minute water show.

If you decide to do one of the museums at Museum campus (Field. Shedd or Planetarium) you could get a water taxi back to Navy Pier http://shorelinesightseeing.com/wate...map-and-rates/

Lincoln Park is a must do free attraction. As well as the zoo it has a conservatory, and a Nature Boardwalk. The Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (sorry but it's not not free) is at the northern end of the park http://www.naturemuseum.org/

You have to ride the EL! Get the Brown line from Merchandise Mart to The Loop and just ride it until you get back to the Merchandising Mart and it takes you on a counterclockwise loop (above ground). It's a fun way to get a different look at the city for $2.25 each.
Good luck - there's a lot to see & do.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:51 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

I read in a foodie magazine that Pleasant House Bakery in Chicago is famed for British style pies. I think you should go there and report
Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I thought it was quite disappointing...the top of WTC bldg was much more impressive. Although it may be better now it has the see through viewing deck.
We took the kids up the Willis Tower and went on the Skydeck. There were some people there proper cacking themselves because it was so high but my 2 loved it. It was busy when we were there, even though it was early in the day, and it can be tricky to get a clear ledge to yourself without others there and squeezing next to you. You can get professional pics done (we did) and it is actually one of the few pics of me I like. I think this is because I'm looking up and as a result only have 1 chin!

We did the Loop too. Mainly because my husband wanted to do it and he sat looking out the window telling us what movies were filmed at various places we went past!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I quite like the idea of a glass viewing deck, not sure how everyone else would feel about it.

Just didn't think it would be worth it though if there's a queue to get in and the like? Or is it pretty quick to to whizz up?

Still at the compiling list of places to see stage, for both Chicago and the drive and potential places to spend the night, so not looked to deeply into each of the things just yet
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I quite like the idea of a glass viewing deck, not sure how everyone else would feel about it.

Just didn't think it would be worth it though if there's a queue to get in and the like? Or is it pretty quick to to whizz up?

Still at the compiling list of places to see stage, for both Chicago and the drive and potential places to spend the night, so not looked to deeply into each of the things just yet
I don't think we had much of a wait...but it will depend on the day and time I suppose.
Old Mar 11th 2013, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
if you had one or two things that you had to do or go see in Chicago, what would they be?
If you want some excitement, you could take a taxi ride.

I seem to remember a heart-pumping episode while I was there when inside a cab doing 55 in a 35 zone with a smoking driver and gospel music blaring.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36
If you want some excitement, you could take a taxi ride.

I seem to remember a heart-pumping episode while I was there when inside a cab doing 55 in a 35 zone with a smoking driver and gospel music blaring.

Yeah, that we might take a pass at

So has anyone in the area gone else where for fireworks? Anywhere along the lakes, easterly way?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:09 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

The Field Museum is pretty neat -- one can visit "Sue" the T-rex. My kids enjoyed immensely -- but they are 30 and 33 years old which may be a little older than yours.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:25 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

This is easy. Museum of Science and Industry in the morning (don't miss the coal mine and the space stuff), Giordano's for lunch, a quick stop at The Crown Fountain and Millenium Park, walk up part or all of Michigan Ave/Mag Mile and finally hit the Hancock observatory and Oak Street beach. Dinner anywhere on the Mag Mile. Be sure to see the beach, it will give you a unique perspective on Chicago. This should be doable in a day.
Alternative to the Museum is the Shedd aquarium, which is awesome.

Avoid Navy Pier like the plague.

Last edited by Hiro11; Mar 17th 2013 at 11:29 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.