Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CHICAGO OR HOUSTON?

CHICAGO OR HOUSTON?

Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

stoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nice
Default CHICAGO OR HOUSTON?

Through my existing job I have the offer to work in either Houston or Chicago for 3-5yrs? I have never been in either!
I would be taking my wife and 11 year old daughter. Does anyone have any thoughts on where is best from a family stand point?
And the best areas in each?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:10 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHICAGO OR HOUSTON?

Hi there and welcome to B.E.

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site. You can contact me here.

I can't answer your question directly but you are in the right place and I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies later.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

Alistair.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Houston: very hot in summer. I'd expect cost of living to be lower than Chicago. When I lived there, the downtown was a ghost town after 5 pm. The city is VERY spread out, you'll be doing a lot of driving.

Chicago: very cold in winter. Heavy traffic city, you'd want to find a place to live close to your job (although Houston isn't much better in that regard). Very vibrant downtown area. Better options for local and regional transit than Houston. High cost of living.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:50 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I can only tell you about Houston but I am sure someone will come along to tell you about Chicago.

We moved to Houston just over 2 years ago with our then 9 year old son. Lots of British Expats over here through the oil sector. Houston is huge and sprawling with very busy traffic during commute times so where you will be working will be a major factor in where you decide to live. Also if your daughter is going to the international school you will want to be close to there.

The weather is generally very hot and humid and hurricane season runs from Jun - Nov although we have only been affected by a hurricane once so far . It did get cold enough to snow one day last winter causing school closures and much general excitement.

There is no state income tax so you only pay federal which is great but property tax can be very expensive depending on area so this kinda cancels out the no state tax benefit. Houses are very cheap compared to UK prices and you get a lot of house for your money. Most developments have a community pool if you don't have your own.

Lots to do especially if your daughter likes to join activities (unfortunately my son doesn't) - parks, zoo, museums, theatre, cinemas, bowling, concerts, rodeo, lots of school clubs. Lots of restaurants and malls. You do need to drive almost everywhere as everything is spread out and public transport is almost non-existant.

Big church presence and for some reason (still unknown to me) I attract the crazies - everyone I meet want's to know which church I attend (that would be none). Hubby on the other has has never been asked.

We have been very happy here and are currently going through the green card process and intend to stay if they are approved so I guess that's as good an endorsement as any.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

stoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nicestoobyizzy is just really nice
Cool Re: CHICAGO OR HOUSTON?

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I can only tell you about Houston but I am sure someone will come along to tell you about Chicago.

We moved to Houston just over 2 years ago with our then 9 year old son. Lots of British Expats over here through the oil sector. Houston is huge and sprawling with very busy traffic during commute times so where you will be working will be a major factor in where you decide to live. Also if your daughter is going to the international school you will want to be close to there.

The weather is generally very hot and humid and hurricane season runs from Jun - Nov although we have only been affected by a hurricane once so far . It did get cold enough to snow one day last winter causing school closures and much general excitement.

There is no state income tax so you only pay federal which is great but property tax can be very expensive depending on area so this kinda cancels out the no state tax benefit. Houses are very cheap compared to UK prices and you get a lot of house for your money. Most developments have a community pool if you don't have your own.

Lots to do especially if your daughter likes to join activities (unfortunately my son doesn't) - parks, zoo, museums, theatre, cinemas, bowling, concerts, rodeo, lots of school clubs. Lots of restaurants and malls. You do need to drive almost everywhere as everything is spread out and public transport is almost non-existant.

Big church presence and for some reason (still unknown to me) I attract the crazies - everyone I meet want's to know which church I attend (that would be none). Hubby on the other has has never been asked.

We have been very happy here and are currently going through the green card process and intend to stay if they are approved so I guess that's as good an endorsement as any.

Good luck with your decision!
Thanks a lot for this! Big issue that my wife doesn't drive although she does hold a driving licence, so could be a limiting factor!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't really like driving before I came over here last autumn. But I much prefer driving an automatic to drive a manual gear car. Driving has been a lot easier here than in the UK. (I live in Indiana just north of Indianapolis so get a both of small town and big city driving done)
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stoobyizzy
Thanks a lot for this! Big issue that my wife doesn't drive although she does hold a driving licence, so could be a limiting factor!
She will be very unhappy in Houston if she doesn't drive.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 3:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Stooby!

That's a difficult decision you have there, I have lived in Illinois (4 hours from Chi-town) and San Antonio, both places have plus's and minus's, but it will really come down to what is more important for you and your family, there are lots of folks on here that live in TX, some that live in or nr Chi-town too, we can help you with general questions, what are some of your priorities? weather, schools, will your wife be able to work? (depends on visa) is this a permanent move?

Keep posting and asking questions, hopefuly we can help you narrow it down
Old Aug 9th 2010, 4:42 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Not driving would be a show stopper for me - my son could get the bus to school but there is nowhere I could or would walk to in this heat - being a Scottish Expat it's just not in my blood ! Taxis are far too expensive and I can't remember the last time I saw a bus.

If Houston is the winner then I would suggest some lessons when you move over. One of my main worries about moving over here was driving on the right (wrong) side of the road but within a month I was nipping around like a native. An automatic and a tom tom and I am sure she'll be off in no time.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Welcome Stooby!

That's a difficult decision you have there, I have lived in Illinois (4 hours from Chi-town) and San Antonio, both places have plus's and minus's, but it will really come down to what is more important for you and your family, there are lots of folks on here that live in TX, some that live in or nr Chi-town too, we can help you with general questions, what are some of your priorities? weather, schools, will your wife be able to work? (depends on visa) is this a permanent move?

Keep posting and asking questions, hopefuly we can help you narrow it down
Thanks for this! I would be overseas for 3-5 yrs and returning thereafter therefore my wife wouldnt be able to work and probably drive anyway! My main priorities would be safe environment with easy access to amenities and good school.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this! I would be overseas for 3-5 yrs and returning thereafter therefore my wife wouldnt be able to work and probably drive anyway! My main priorities would be safe environment with easy access to amenities and good school.
I am not allowed to work on my visa (H4) but if I want to go anywhere I need to drive. There are very few places I would be able to walk to safely. Plus at the moment it is REALLY hot here and I would probably pass out if I were to walk too far. It might be a good idea for your wife to have a go at driving an automatic a few times before she comes over. Honestly I think she'll be fine with it and won't have a problem with it. It'll help her get out and about to meet people. Either that or she stays indoors all the time.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

In Houston I'd be working in 11111 Richmond Avenue, 77082 and in chicago in Highland Oaks, 1020 31st Street,Downers Grove, IL 60515.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 10:06 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Easy...Chicago. Buy a good winter coat, gloves, scarf, hat, snowshovel, icescraper, thermal undies for everyone in the family, a radiator/block heater for the car...and season tickets for the Cubs.

Your offices are in a decent location; you can live w/i 20 minutes in the burbs to the west, or 20 min East to the city.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:22 am

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We move to Houston in 3 weeks and the driving was one of my big concerns. I drive here, but not very much. The roads are much wider and car parking spaces much bigger so I think it won't be too bad.
One of the women I met learnt to drive in Houston having never driven before and has got on fine. Folk are right, your wife will need to drive. Even just to go to the grocery store.
If it is a work transfer you might find your wife gets the chance to apply for a work visa. Ours allows me too but theres lots more info on that in the visa section.
Anyway, welcome and good luck!
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:24 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

I can answer any direct questions regards to Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. Feel free to ask here or via Private Message.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.