Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cherry Hill NJ Naturalization interview

Cherry Hill NJ Naturalization interview

Old Nov 13th 2002, 5:13 am
Just Joined

Alex65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cherry Hill NJ Naturalization interview

I recently received a letter from the INS informing me that my naturalization interview is in early February, at Cherry Hill in NJ. The letter says that the "proceeding" is expected to last about 2 hours. If anyone who has been through the proceeding at Cherry Hill can let me know what is involved I'd appreciate it.

Most of all, does the proceeding include taking the oath of allegiance after the interview? I know Newark INS has the interview and the oath ceremony on the same day, and Cherry Hill is a satellite office of Newark, so maybe they do?

Alex
Old Nov 19th 2002, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Cherry Hill NJ Naturalization interview

Originally posted by Alex65
I recently received a letter from the INS informing me that my naturalization interview is in early February, at Cherry Hill in NJ. The letter says that the "proceeding" is expected to last about 2 hours. If anyone who has been through the proceeding at Cherry Hill can let me know what is involved I'd appreciate it.

Most of all, does the proceeding include taking the oath of allegiance after the interview? I know Newark INS has the interview and the oath ceremony on the same day, and Cherry Hill is a satellite office of Newark, so maybe they do?

Alex
I did not interview at this one. However, once you have interviewed and if a decision is given, you will be able to take the Oath afterward. In my case, there was a delay with the INS service center getting my file to the office where I was interviewed and I have only just resolved this myself by getting through to the service center and prompting them about it. I do not expect you will have this exact problem with your file since you are in the East and things probably run smoother over there.

What to expect:

* Parking: Figure out where to park before you leave. You'll probably use one of the downtown pay parking lots and then have to find your way on foot, so familiarize yourself with the downtown area.

*a big wating room in a building with increasingly limited seating as the day progresses from the morning open

*expect tight security: metal detector, baggage screener. expect to lift your arms and turn around for hand scanner, so dress accordingly

*count on a LONG wait - at least 45 minutes, probably several hours. Go to the bathroom at your own risk.. you may miss being called. In fact, go to the bathroom as soon as you get there and don't drink much.

*you can expect trouble if you do not show up reasonably on time. I saw someone openly chastised for showing up a day late. Their interview was yesterday!

*Don't expect it to be an entirely pleasant place. At least one person was heard pleading and begging in one of the rooms before being handcuffed and led away with a relative having an emotional breakdown. (no idea why he would get invited for interview and then taken away) Also, babies crying, bitter people. Etc. But, on the whole, just a long, boring wait and not too bad.

*You'll need to pass the civics and government test. This is easy for locals, but you will find it difficult as an outsider unless you have looked at the questions and memorized the answers. Look on the web for these 50 or 100 sample naturalization questions. (ex. how many senators? name one of the amendments?). Don't forget the questions that are SPECIFIC to your region. Such as: who are your state's representatives? governor? etc.

*Bring along some information in case the INS temporarily loses your application (HINT HINT) and you have to fill out another 6+ pages in the waiting area (alien number, social security number, trips in and out of the states, length of time outside, original port of entry, etc.)

*Important: Make a copy of your interview request. Actually, make several copies. Your original will be taken. Hold on to your interview results. Make lots of copies of your interview results You will need this to correspond with your INS officer (one of the most effective routes). If you have an ongoing delay or problem you can keep your officer updated or abreast of the problem at the name and address on the interview results. Each time you write a letter, enclose a copy of your interview request and interview results.

The interview itself is relatively easy. Dress professionally. I didn't see anyone wearing jeans or casual dress. Let the officer go through the spiel and be patient. Answer the questions honestly and confidently. Obviously, use sense when answering the questions such as: Have you ever persecuted anyone because of race, relgion or background? Have you ever been sympathetic to the Nazi Party? You may not even be asked why you want to be a citizen and the officer may be lenient with the questions. Its up to the officer. Hope you get a good one and good luck.