Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap Universities In VA

Cheap Universities In VA

Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cheap Universities In VA

You can study at DSU, where the courses include being obnoxious & winding up other posters.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 8:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah, being a brit....adding hassle of getting a student visa too....
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:05 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
You can study at DSU, where the courses include being obnoxious & winding up other posters.
Immediate openings at DSU - Cancun? What do you charge for tuition?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

Ok, I spent two years going through the system for Canada and working towards attending university there, so I think I do have a rough idea of how it works and what you have to go through to get anywhere.
I was just asking for some recommendations for cheap universities, thanks for the replies.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Immediate openings at DSU - Cancun? What do you charge for tuition?

Zider, we charge by the can or bottle, flexible payment scheme
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:49 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doctor scrumpy
Zider, we charge by the can or bottle, flexible payment scheme
Well, then the question must be this: Do you require scrumpy, or will a six pack of K from the local Liquor Barn do the trick? (Makes a big difference on the cost, you know?)
Old Jul 17th 2005, 11:45 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodel
Ok, I spent two years going through the system for Canada and working towards attending university there, so I think I do have a rough idea of how it works and what you have to go through to get anywhere.
I was just asking for some recommendations for cheap universities, thanks for the replies.
The price you have quoted is excellent for out-of-state fees. Some universities charge that for residents! Look into scholarships - that might help you get some money off but to be honest you have to be quite a high flyer to get the whole lot paid for. Also private universities offer money off the better your grades are. They will also sometimes help you pay for your tuition by getting you to work for them at the same time (ie. tutoring, TA's etc). However, private universities are always a lot more expensive than state ones before you start so check carefully.

I don't know what the difference between private and state are in VA but here on Long Island you normally pay per credit with private universities, whereas the state university have a full time rate which kicks in when you take 12 credits or more, therefore you pay the same price for 15 or 18 credits as you would for 12. So, the price you have been quoted may only be for 12 credits. If you take 15 or 18 the price may go up, and if you only take the 12 to keep it at the rate they quoted, it will take you long to complete and therefore cost you more also.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 6:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do you not mary her and get residence yourself.

Seems the ideal solution.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Well, then the question must be this: Do you require scrumpy, or will a six pack of K from the local Liquor Barn do the trick? (Makes a big difference on the cost, you know?)

Scrumpy or some other form of ENGLISH zider will do, the US stuff is awful
Old Jul 19th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

No offense but you don't know much either. VSU and VUU are no worse or better than VCU. VCU is generally for whitebread 'rebels' who were unable to get into a decent in-state school, so Mommy and Daddy sprung for the 'art' school. VSU and VUU are primarily black, so you have got a lot of poor but f**king dedicated kids who are paying their way through college.

Have you ever met one person who went to VSU or VUU?

All the in-state schools in Va are similar price-wise. The best (one of the best in the USA) in U. of Virginia in Charlottesville. But you have to be damm smart to get in there. A distant second is William & Mary, then JMU, then GMU.

Radford is well below VUU or VSU.

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
"Cheap university" is an oxymoron.

No offense, but your plan doesn't sound very well thought-out.

First, if you think $20k/year is too expensive for someone who is coming as an international/out-of-state student, you might as well give up now.

Second, there is so much more to it than price. Most of it will depend on where you -- and she -- can get accepted into a master's program. One of my close college friends majored in psychology at the University of Richmond, was an honors student and everything, and she got rejected from almost every program she applied to. She eventually got into George Mason University's master's program, and while it wasn't her first choice she took it because she didn't really have any other options. This was back in 1995; I have no idea what it's like now.

What happens if you get accepted to University A but your girlfriend gets accepted to University B -- and they're 200 miles apart?

Also, I'm hoping that the quality of education you might receive is a bigger priority than the cost of tuition and whether you can live near your girlfriend. Radford may be cheap, but it's not known as the Party School of Virginia for nothing.

VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University) is a good school generally but then I don't know what it's like for your areas of study. VSU (Virginia State University) and VUU (Virginia Union University) are not known for their academic prowess.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 19th 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brodel
As a matter of interest do you know how much it would cost you in the UK?
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

rjcrabber05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DCMark
No offense but you don't know much either. VSU and VUU are no worse or better than VCU. VCU is generally for whitebread 'rebels' who were unable to get into a decent in-state school, so Mommy and Daddy sprung for the 'art' school. VSU and VUU are primarily black, so you have got a lot of poor but f**king dedicated kids who are paying their way through college.

Have you ever met one person who went to VSU or VUU?

All the in-state schools in Va are similar price-wise. The best (one of the best in the USA) in U. of Virginia in Charlottesville. But you have to be damm smart to get in there. A distant second is William & Mary, then JMU, then GMU.

Radford is well below VUU or VSU.

You must be crazy to think that VCU is not better than VSU or VUU. VSU and VUU greatly pale in comparison to VCU. VCU is one of the best art, social work, and life sciences schools in the nation and the MCV campus programs are top-notch. What is your problem with VCU? Please do your reasearch before you make uneducated statements. VCU has almost 30, 000 students and is the third largest contributor to higher eduaction research in Virginia, behind VT and UVa. I hope you do not spread such false information in other forums.

www.vcu.edu/topspots
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjcrabber05
You must be crazy to think that VCU is not better than VSU or VUU. VSU and VUU greatly pale in comparison to VCU. VCU is one of the best art, social work, and life sciences schools in the nation and the MCV campus programs are top-notch. What is your problem with VCU? Please do your reasearch before you make uneducated statements. VCU has almost 30, 000 students and is the third largest contributor to higher eduaction research in Virginia, behind VT and UVa. I hope you do not spread such false information in other forums.

www.vcu.edu/topspots
rjcrabber05 .. Why are you replying to a posting made a year ago ...
Start a new thread if you must
Old Aug 1st 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Save all the time and expense ... buy a mail order one here ...
http://www.fakedegrees.com/
And then you can sue the ass off anyone who calls you on it, like Paul McKenna just did (successfully, too):

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/leg...cle1202841.ece