Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

cheap/free telephone calls?

cheap/free telephone calls?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cheap/free telephone calls?

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
Others want the benefits of skype but for some friends & family to be able to use a 'normal' phone and not (just) a laptop and the internet...
You can get mobile phones now with skype on them. The iphones and more recently the droids (with a free app download) can do this.

On my droid, I use skype with wifi and can call my brother with skype running in his iphone. Just like a regular call, only doesn't cost either of us anything.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

Verizon does even allow you to use Skype over their 3G network if you have a data plan. Oddly enough the default client doesn't do Skype over Wifi, though.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

missbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to allmissbrittt is a name known to all

Check out rebtel.com.

Basically, you provide the number you would like to phone (i.e. I'm in the US, and want to phone my UK bf.. so I type in his number via 01144... and so on)
Then, they give me a local US number to call, and it goes through to his UK phone, and shows up as a UK phone number when I phone him.
So it cuts down the cost basically, though you'll still pay air time dependent upon your mobile carrier.

Another plus, is that is I were to phone him... he could then hang up, and phone me back (via the UK number that showed up on his phone) and it's a FREE call, in so far as not using up your credit you put on your rebtel.

$10 US would last us a month or more even. I highly recommend it! Just keep an eye on your air time mobile minutes as you don't want to cane all those at once!

Cheers!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 12:58 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
You can get mobile phones now with skype on them. The iphones and more recently the droids (with a free app download) can do this.

On my droid, I use skype with wifi and can call my brother with skype running in his iphone. Just like a regular call, only doesn't cost either of us anything.
You can get skype phones , link sys do one.

We have one , it plugs into wireless router and you can plug it into a landline.

A skype in number is reasonably cheap and with the north American package you get unlimited north American calls for $3 a month , oh and you can actually a us phone number coz you don't have the CRTC telling you that you can't have a Canadian one

Having said that we have a uk number, we pay about $40 a year for it. It means our family call a local number , so cheaper for them.

The down side is we get UK marketing calls on occasion
Old Dec 4th 2010, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

TopGear will become famous soon enoughTopGear will become famous soon enough

I hardly use Skype now as most of my friends rather prefer Yahoo Messenger and the rest use MSN. For calling long distance, I use Onesuite and on most occasions the rates are cheaper than Skype.
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by missbrittt
Check out rebtel.com.

Basically, you provide the number you would like to phone (i.e. I'm in the US, and want to phone my UK bf.. so I type in his number via 01144... and so on)
Then, they give me a local US number to call, and it goes through to his UK phone, and shows up as a UK phone number when I phone him.
So it cuts down the cost basically, though you'll still pay air time dependent upon your mobile carrier.

Another plus, is that is I were to phone him... he could then hang up, and phone me back (via the UK number that showed up on his phone) and it's a FREE call, in so far as not using up your credit you put on your rebtel.

$10 US would last us a month or more even. I highly recommend it! Just keep an eye on your air time mobile minutes as you don't want to cane all those at once!

Cheers!
I second that, when me and my wife lived apart we called mobile to mobile around 40-50 hours a month and it never cost us anything! I had unlimited calls to UK landlines with my contract and she had my rebtel number set up as one of her family numbers that she got free calls to....We never had any trouble with it and I still use it to call people in the UK. They don't even have to set it up, you can call them and tell them to call the number on their phone back and you both get charged for a local call (normally free on contracts, or comes out of your free mins like any other call)

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

skydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to beholdskydivingisfun is a splendid one to behold

I bought a MagicJack, added $10 for international calling works great i think you get about 6 or 700 minutes to a land line and about half to a mobile

Works for me