British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cheap flights to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheap-flights-uk-360367/)

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 9:13 pm

Re: Cheap flights to UK

Originally Posted by britvic
An hour seems enough, BA was 4 hours :eek: no thanks.

we had an hour and a half when we connected in Chicago, the airline assured us it was enough time which of course it wasn't, the plane left without us and the airline didn't give a shit (United). I had to cry, beg, plead etc etc to even get us a seat on the next flight, in the end it took us 29 hours to get back form the UK, they wouldn't even let us use the phone to call our cab company back in LA to let them know we were going to be late, never again :mad: . BA will always rush you through the customs line etc if they know you have a connection something that other airlines have never ever done for us..If you are even slightly delayed you're going to be pushing it, especially with a 4 year old, if he needs the loo or is just too tired to rush, you'll be in trouble, I would seriously consider getting a flight with more connection time cos if you miss it you'll probably be left with a much longer wait than 4 hours..

britvic Mar 10th 2006 9:47 pm

I've done it before but that was with BA 2 years ago. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed, rather not stress about all the nightmare's that could happen :(

Pimpbot Mar 10th 2006 9:48 pm

I've flown through Ohare on both AA and UA with 1h 30m to 2hrs between connections several times. The most anoying thing about Ohare, is getting on that stupid tram/train to get back to the terminals. I think we have about 2hrs between flights there in april.

Partystar Mar 11th 2006 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
I've done it before but that was with BA 2 years ago. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed, rather not stress about all the nightmare's that could happen :(

You'll be fine! *in a very calm monotone voice* :D

Ash UK/US Mar 12th 2006 4:44 pm

We have found some good deals on this web site I think 3 of my 5 trips back have been booked though them.

www.bt-store.com

Ash :)

lolly Mar 12th 2006 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
We have found some good deals on this web site I think 3 of my 5 trips back have been booked though them.

www.bt-store.com

Just looked the flights are a lot cheaper
Thanks

BigDavyG Mar 12th 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by lolly
Just looked the flights are a lot cheaper
Thanks

Maybe you should look at that site a bit more closely.
When I plugged in my dates I got hits back that would save me $200.
When I selected my desired flight it then said it was checking availability on altrnate days (which I didn't want) and then came back with flights $300 dearer. It would not let me book the cheap flights :confused:

Ash UK/US Mar 12th 2006 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
When I selected my desired flight it then said it was checking availability on altrnate days (which I didn't want) and then came back with flights $300 dearer. It would not let me book the cheap flights :confused:

The last time I booked through them I saved a lot of money traveling 2 days earlier than I planned... suppose it depends on how flexible you are on getting a good deal.

woodsey Mar 12th 2006 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG

I just looked too, when I selected the cheapest option it then said "the airline has increased this fare' and the actual price was $200 more..this happened regardless of which airline you chose. :confused:

Kate2112 Mar 13th 2006 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
I just looked too, when I selected the cheapest option it then said "the airline has increased this fare' and the actual price was $200 more..this happened regardless of which airline you chose. :confused:

Just did a check on a ticket to london from washington...looking at cheapest option for march 13 to march 22 the fare was $209...looking good....this was with lufthansa.....taxes on this exceptionally cheap, not non stop fare were $307 ....hmmmmm

clydegirl Mar 13th 2006 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kate2112
Just did a check on a ticket to london from washington...looking at cheapest option for march 13 to march 22 the fare was $209...looking good....this was with lufthansa.....taxes on this exceptionally cheap, not non stop fare were $307 ....hmmmmm

Book it ...quick, before it goes up.