British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cheap flights to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cheap-flights-uk-360367/)

lolly Mar 10th 2006 3:52 pm

Cheap flights to UK

Can anyone suggest a good site to go to for cheap flights to UK in May

Big D Mar 10th 2006 3:53 pm

Re: Cheap flights to UK

Originally Posted by lolly

Loads of threads on this recently! I have had some good deals on BA out of Dallas recently and they guarantee their website to be cheapest

Shahlax Mar 10th 2006 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by lolly

From my experience, there is no one good site for cheap flights. It really depends where you are flying from. Try expedia for general good fares.

Ray Mar 10th 2006 6:13 pm

Why does no one ever ask for a safe flight ....

Bob Mar 10th 2006 6:21 pm

depends on destination and airports you want to use, also if you want a direct flight or don't mind having a few transfers....

check out airlines direct would be the best bet, and then all the usual suspects of expedia, orbits, etc etc etc...

Bob Mar 10th 2006 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

cheap is better :D

really cheap, and oh so sale would be russian and chinese airways :D

snowbunny Mar 10th 2006 6:35 pm

BA has been alternating between normal fares and really cheap fares. Keep checking til you find something palatable. I had to wait until one week before departure, when they finally put on a decent fare sale. :D

BigDavyG Mar 10th 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

No need to.
With air marshalls now that's a given :)

woodsey Mar 10th 2006 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Shahlax
From my experience, there is no one good site for cheap flights. It really depends where you are flying from. Try expedia for general good fares.

Expedia are hiddeously expensive IMO, I find much better deals going directly to the airlines website, BA have had some spectacular deals recently, I'm going back ot the UK from LA 'up front' for $1100 for me and my son (not each), I've discovered that by booking the connecting flight seperately (we fly into heathrow then on to Manchester) you can save loads, I got the return flights from Heathrow to Manchester for 19 quid each.. :cool:

snowbunny Mar 10th 2006 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
No need to.
With air marshalls now that's a given :)

Unless you say anything's "da bomb." :rolleyes:

britvic Mar 10th 2006 7:26 pm

Our flight back is on the 25th of May, $750 each may seem a bit steep, I booked 2 weeks ago, did not want to leave it any longer, there going up pretty fast now. Going with Continental found they had less waiting time at Newark than the others, just me and a 4 year old did not want to be hanging about for hours waiting for connection :)

Bob Mar 10th 2006 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
Our flight back is on the 25th of May, $750 each may seem a bit steep, I booked 2 weeks ago, did not want to leave it any longer, there going up pretty fast now. Going with Continental found they had less waiting time at Newark than the others, just me and a 4 year old did not want to be hanging about for hours waiting for connection :)

having a good break between connection can be handy these days though, what with immigration and bagage being a mare...

britvic Mar 10th 2006 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
having a good break between connection can be handy these days though, what with immigration and bagage being a mare...

An hour seems enough, BA was 4 hours :eek: no thanks.

Bob Mar 10th 2006 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by britvic
An hour seems enough, BA was 4 hours :eek: no thanks.

4 hours might be a bit much, but an hour might not be enough...well i know a couple people get hold up for a long time in boston, one had a 2 hour lay over, but got held up for 4 hours at the airport...which was a mare...but then don't have a kid to amuse either :D

Shahlax Mar 10th 2006 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by woodsey
Expedia are hiddeously expensive IMO, I find much better deals going directly to the airlines website, BA have had some spectacular deals recently, I'm going back ot the UK from LA 'up front' for $1100 for me and my son (not each), I've discovered that by booking the connecting flight seperately (we fly into heathrow then on to Manchester) you can save loads, I got the return flights from Heathrow to Manchester for 19 quid each.. :cool:

I've always found expedia matchs BA website's fares but that might be just from New York :)