Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cheap flights

Cheap flights

Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice
Default Cheap flights

l've been checking flight prices to the UK for the last few months and,despite searching a dozen or more websites repeatedly,l couldn't find anything from Nashville to LHR, for Nov,for much less than $800..until yesterday ! I got a price alert email from Kayak saying that the price had dropped to $480 including taxes

The ticket price was cheaper than the taxes ! Needless to say l booked it pdq ! It's with Air Canada/British Midland via Toronto. The site l booked it through was Vayama.com and Fly.com also have it at the same price.....just FYI
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheap flights

I have flown trans atlantic with BMI a few times... to be honest on the long haul flights they have given me the best service of any airline.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

flbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really niceflbrit59 is just really nice

l didn't even know they did transatlantic flights,that was new to me. Anyhow,the flight is being operated by Air Canada (with a BMI flight number) l've heard Air Canada are pretty good to fly with too,but l've never flown with them

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I have flown trans atlantic with BMI a few times... to be honest on the long haul flights they have given me the best service of any airline.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:31 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flbrit59
l've been checking flight prices to the UK for the last few months and,despite searching a dozen or more websites repeatedly,l couldn't find anything from Nashville to LHR, for Nov,for much less than $800..until yesterday ! I got a price alert email from Kayak saying that the price had dropped to $480 including taxes

The ticket price was cheaper than the taxes ! Needless to say l booked it pdq ! It's with Air Canada/British Midland via Toronto. The site l booked it through was Vayama.com and Fly.com also have it at the same price.....just FYI
How much of the $480 were taxes and fees, just out of interest? And also, did Vayama book you on one of both of the flights as a Bmi booking or an Air Canada one (or combination thereof)? (I'm assuming Bmi for at least the trans-Atlantic bit, or you wouldn't have mentioned them at all).
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dont have the exact figures in front of me but from memory the fare was around $210 and the rest in taxes. The leg from Toronto to London is a BMI flight being operated by Air Canada. In the breakdown of the figures approx $420 of it went to Air Canada and $60 to Vayama, no mention of BMI at all.

Originally Posted by tonrob
How much of the $480 were taxes and fees, just out of interest? And also, did Vayama book you on one of both of the flights as a Bmi booking or an Air Canada one (or combination thereof)? (I'm assuming Bmi for at least the trans-Atlantic bit, or you wouldn't have mentioned them at all).
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:24 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Still up over 1300 for houston to london at Christmas

Looks like we're going to be going with KLM again into Teesside for a little over 1000
Old Apr 7th 2011, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

margaretmwilson will become famous soon enough

I found a flight from Orlando to Manchester with Virgin for the christmas time which was $789, which I thought was a great price. It was with Fly Europe.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:00 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Dont have the exact figures in front of me but from memory the fare was around $210 and the rest in taxes. The leg from Toronto to London is a BMI flight being operated by Air Canada. In the breakdown of the figures approx $420 of it went to Air Canada and $60 to Vayama, no mention of BMI at all.
Well, no - it's an Air Canada flight that has a Bmi codeshare arrangement.

Anyway, I was wondering as I've seen cases where "mistake" fares appear online for a short time - particularly where there is a connection involved, multiple carriers (which there isn't in this case) and also significant taxes/fees. Something to do with buggering up which carriers handles the fees. It looks like this is not the case in this instance through.

Had you been watching this specific routing before? (i.e. did this journey cost about $800 or more before and suddenly came down, or was this routing option one which was just recently added?)

Just asking because sometimes understanding the mechanics of these things can help others find cheaper fares through routings that they wouldn't have ordinarily considered.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Tip as soon as you book these offers that appear call the airline be it the code share or the master airline and confirm you are on that flight and the tickets were bought
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

l didn't even know they did transatlantic flights,that was new to me. Anyhow,the flight is being operated by Air Canada (with a BMI flight number) l've heard Air Canada are pretty good to fly with too,but l've never flown with them
I flew BMI a few times when they operated out of Chicago they don't anymore, I think it Washington only now.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Still up over 1300 for houston to london at Christmas

Looks like we're going to be going with KLM again into Teesside for a little over 1000
Have you looked at flying into Newcastle instead? I flew Detroit to Amsterdam to Newcastle in both Feb and March because it was over a $100 per ticket. Before that I always got the better deals flying into Teeside too.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Tip as soon as you book these offers that appear call the airline be it the code share or the master airline and confirm you are on that flight and the tickets were bought
I actually did that. I bought tickets through Vayama for our trip this summer, but it was weird in that it took about 10 days before Vayama took the money out of our account. I didn't wait that long before I went on the airlines website and used the confirmation code and saw that we were booked on flights and was able to choose seating on the domestic flights.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:55 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I actually did that. I bought tickets through Vayama for our trip this summer, but it was weird in that it took about 10 days before Vayama took the money out of our account. I didn't wait that long before I went on the airlines website and used the confirmation code and saw that we were booked on flights and was able to choose seating on the domestic flights.
Yes go online is another avenue
Old Apr 7th 2011, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Anyway, I was wondering as I've seen cases where "mistake" fares appear online for a short time - particularly where there is a connection involved, multiple carriers (which there isn't in this case) and also significant taxes/fees. Something to do with buggering up which carriers handles the fees.
This was apparently the case with the Iberia codeshare fares (on BA direct flights) that showed up for a weekend earlier this year. They apparently forgot to include the BA "fuel surcharge" in the fares, meaning I got to go from San Francisco to London return for a total of $420 last month. And bizarrely, I got full BA mileage for the flights whereas BA discount economy fares only give you 25% mileage credit.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:07 pm
Septic Sprout

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This was apparently the case with the Iberia codeshare fares (on BA direct flights) that showed up for a weekend earlier this year. They apparently forgot to include the BA "fuel surcharge" in the fares, meaning I got to go from San Francisco to London return for a total of $420 last month. And bizarrely, I got full BA mileage for the flights whereas BA discount economy fares only give you 25% mileage credit.
That's great!

BA economy is giving 100% credit now, BTW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.