Reload this Page >

Charging a Digital camera from The UK in the USA

Charging a Digital camera from The UK in the USA

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

the3121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Charging a Digital camera from The UK in the USA

Hi,

i will be taking my Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS Digital Camera to California when i visit latter this month.

I am concerned about how i would go about charging it over there.

It has an internal battery and plug charger.

Is it a simple case of buying a plastic convertor or is there much more to it than that? is there chance it could damage the camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:14 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Charging a Digital camera from The UK in the USA

Originally Posted by the3121
Hi,

i will be taking my Canon Digital IXUS 95 IS Digital Camera to California when i visit latter this month.

I am concerned about how i would go about charging it over there.

It has an internal battery and plug charger.

Is it a simple case of buying a plastic convertor or is there much more to it than that? is there chance it could damage the camera?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
Does the manual show a range for the voltage required to charge it? Most modern rechargeable batteries can be charged successfully using either UK (240v) or US (110v) voltage.

You'll need the usual travel adapter to shove it in the wall, of course.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:17 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Check the specs on the back of your charger... if says something about 110-240V and 50/60 Hz, you can probably just use a simple plug converter.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tonrob
Does the manual show a range for the voltage required to charge it? Most modern rechargeable batteries can be charged successfully using either UK (240v) or US (110v) voltage.

You'll need the usual travel adapter to shove it in the wall, of course.
Hi TonRob and AdobePinon

Thanks for the advice.

I dont have the manual unfortunately but it is a brand new camera. Considering do you think that it is more than likely just a case of connecting it to a bog standard adapter before plugging it into the wall?

I don't have my charger with me at the moment (at work). i am just wondering if thats usually the norm for small electrical items such as this (particularly new ones)

Thanks again
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Check online for the manual. It should also say somewhere on the camera or charger.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:33 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I dont have the manual unfortunately but it is a brand new camera. Considering do you think that it is more than likely just a case of connecting it to a bog standard adapter before plugging it into the wall?
Yes.

I don't have my charger with me at the moment (at work). i am just wondering if thats usually the norm for small electrical items such as this (particularly new ones)
Yes.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:35 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Google is your friend. You can get the manual online somewhere if you check the company website.

The charger 'probably' is 110-220, in which case it's just a simple plastic do-hickey to deal with the prongs.

Does the camera have a mini-usb charger? You could bring a laptop (which are almost always 110-220) and plug it in, then charge the camera via USB.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Check online for the manual. It should also say somewhere on the camera or charger.
Good idea.

It reads -

POWER SOURCE

Batteries
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery NB-6L (battery and charger supplied)

Battery life
Approx. 260 shots [8] Approx. 360 min. playback
A/C Power Supply
Optional, AC adapter kit ACK-DC40

What can we garner from this?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Google is your friend. You can get the manual online somewhere if you check the company website.

The charger 'probably' is 110-220, in which case it's just a simple plastic do-hickey to deal with the prongs.

Does the camera have a mini-usb charger? You could bring a laptop (which are almost always 110-220) and plug it in, then charge the camera via USB.

hi penguinsix

Yep, i just posted what i found in the manual above.

I will have my laptop for limited use. I just assumed that the charge would be insufficient and/or slow to charge a camera adequately.

I feel pretty confident that the charger will be 110-220 after reading all your comments.

thanks again all.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I have a canon with a similar setup and a canon camcorder that charges directly from the camcorder. Both chargers are duel voltage.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 2:54 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I googled the power supply and from the picture it 'looks' like it will be a 110-220. Why? Because it is a 'middle brick', i.e. the transformer is in the middle with a cord attached that goes to the camera and another that goes to the wall.

Generally...generally...consumer appliance makers who design these sort of power supplies do so to save costs for worldwide markets. Instead of building ones with different prongs (i.e. xx,000 for the UK, xx,000 for France, xx,000 for the US) they build one unit that works for all, and then just throw in a replaceable cord for whichever country the unit is being sent to.

That's just a gut reading based on a photo. I haven't seen the tech specs but you'll probably be certain tonight when you look at the charger.

Have a good trip.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I have a canon with a similar setup and a canon camcorder that charges directly from the camcorder. Both chargers are duel voltage.
Excellent. Thanks for the advice. seems like a simple adaptor job.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

I googled the power supply and from the picture it 'looks' like it will be a 110-220. Why? Because it is a 'middle brick', i.e. the transformer is in the middle with a cord attached that goes to the camera and another that goes to the wall.

Generally...generally...consumer appliance makers who design these sort of power supplies do so to save costs for worldwide markets. Instead of building ones with different prongs (i.e. xx,000 for the UK, xx,000 for France, xx,000 for the US) they build one unit that works for all, and then just throw in a replaceable cord for whichever country the unit is being sent to.

That's just a gut reading based on a photo. I haven't seen the tech specs but you'll probably be certain tonight when you look at the charger.

Have a good trip.

I'll check the charger tonight.

many thanks for the advice and time in offering assistence. Its been most helpful.
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 3:18 pm
Septic Sprout

Mrs tonrob has a very similar Canon P&S camera (800IS) that's a couple of years old and the charger has prongs built in rather than a cord. That said, it works fine in Europe using a normal adapter.
Old Jun 4th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

I found the manual online, you should be fine with a US-UK adapter

It says 100 - 240 V AC (50/60Hz)