Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing your name following Marriage

Changing your name following Marriage

Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:34 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing your name following Marriage

Was going to post this in MBV section, but since it's not to do with the visa itself, felt that wasn't the right place for it.

Anyways,

We have me, Joe Bloggs, and my soon to be wife, Sally Lynn Shortcake. Now Sally Shortcake is very fond of her surname as it's from a long standing family in the area we live in, and doesn't want to lose it. She's also not too hot on the middle name Lynn.

Sally doesn't want to hypenate her name after marriage as "people around here who hyphenate are thought of as posh, and I don't want that", and Joe Bloggs isn't bothered if she takes his name or not as he knows what Shortcake means to her.

When we get married, what are the rules on Sally changing her name? Am I right in thinking she can change it to anything she wants? She's thinking of dropping Lynn as a middle name, and taking her maiden name as her new middle name to become Sally Shortcake Bloggs.

Is this possible? Does anything special have to be done?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:56 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing your name following Marriage

Originally Posted by Knight
Was going to post this in MBV section, but since it's not to do with the visa itself, felt that wasn't the right place for it.

Anyways,

We have me, Joe Bloggs, and my soon to be wife, Sally Lynn Shortcake. Now Sally Shortcake is very fond of her surname as it's from a long standing family in the area we live in, and doesn't want to lose it. She's also not too hot on the middle name Lynn.

Sally doesn't want to hypenate her name after marriage as "people around here who hyphenate are thought of as posh, and I don't want that", and Joe Bloggs isn't bothered if she takes his name or not as he knows what Shortcake means to her.

When we get married, what are the rules on Sally changing her name? Am I right in thinking she can change it to anything she wants? She's thinking of dropping Lynn as a middle name, and taking her maiden name as her new middle name to become Sally Shortcake Bloggs.

Is this possible? Does anything special have to be done?

I think to "Officially" change your first and/or middle name that is on your birth certificate you actually have to apply to the federal government somehow. I sure someone on here will know. You can't just change it because you do not like it. You do not have to include your middle name though on all documents (checkbook, car title, house deed, etc..). She can use either her maiden name or your last name after she is married though. It is just tradition to take the man's name after marriage.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I think to "Officially" change your first and/or middle name that is on your birth certificate you actually have to apply to the federal government somehow. I sure someone on here will know. You can't just change it because you do not like it. You do not have to include your middle name though on all documents (checkbook, car title, house deed, etc..). She can use either her maiden name or your last name after she is married though. It is just tradition to take the man's name after marriage.
Usually done at state rather than a federal level (except when naturalizing). OP should contact clerk at local courthouse. Should be just a matter of filing a request and having the judge stamp it. In theory, you just start using a new name and you should be good to go. In practice, all those government and private bodies who have the old name will be reluctant to change it without the court order.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:16 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight
Am I right in thinking she can change it to anything she wants? She's thinking of dropping Lynn as a middle name, and taking her maiden name as her new middle name to become Sally Shortcake Bloggs.
Since she's only looking to change her name in relation to her marriage -- that is, she's not going to be like Phoebe Buffay on "Friends" and change her name completely to "Princess Consuela Bananahammock" -- it's a simple process.

Once you're married, she should get a certified copy of your marriage license. (Actually, get several since you'll need them for various immigration stuff.) This is the magic key that will allow her to change her name pretty much everywhere.

She should first use her marriage certificate to apply for a new SSN card with the name she wants to use (Sally Shortcake Bloggs, Sally Bloggs Shortcake, whatever). Once she has the SSN in her new name, she can use that to update pretty much everything else -- drivers license, bank accounts, etc.

Recommendation: If her US passport was issued within one year of your wedding, she can get her passport amended to reflect her name name free of charge. If her US passport was issued more than one year before your wedding, then she's gotta fork over $97 to get a whole new passport. (I just recently discovered this myself, dammit!)

Some links:
Changing Your Name on Your Social Security Card
How to Change Your Name in Your Passport

~ Jenney

p.s. I've changed my name twice (two marriages) and it's never been a big hassle. The only time it's annoying is when certain utility companies won't change it without an original certified copy of my marriage license (not a photocopy). Since they won't return it to me, I'm not going to shell out $12 just to change my name on my water bill! To this day I'm still listed under my previous married name with a couple of places...