Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

This is an email I received from the DVLA regarding renewing a UK DL...

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You must have an old pink DL. Most people have the photo ID DL which needs renewing every 10 years...that's when the problem arises.
That's (another) myth. The photocard is _not_ your driving licence. Holding an expired photocard does not in anyway invalidate your DL. Plod are guilty of continuing this myth, despite the offence simply not existing.

See s99 RTA 1988:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/section/99

"(2A)Where, in accordance with the preceding provisions of this section, a licence in the form of a photocard remains in force for a period of more than ten years, the holder of the licence must surrender it and its counterpart to the Secretary of State not later than the end of the period of ten years beginning with.."

The actual DL is valid until you are 70 years old. THEN it needs renewing.

Duration of licences.

" (1)In so far as a licence authorises its holder to drive motor vehicles of classes other than any prescribed class of goods vehicle or any prescribed class of passenger-carrying vehicle, it] shall, unless previously revoked or surrendered, remain in force, subject to subsection (2) below—

(a)except in a case falling within paragraph (b) or (c) of this subsection, for the period ending on the seventieth anniversary of the applicant’s date of birth or for a period of three years, whichever is the longer,

(b)except in a case falling within paragraph (c) of this subsection, if the Secretary of State so determines in the case of a licence to be granted to a person appearing to him to be suffering from a relevant or prospective disability, for such period of not more than three years and not less than one year as the Secretary of State may determine, and

(c)in the case of a licence granted in exchange for a subsisting licence and in pursuance of an application requesting a licence for the period authorised by this paragraph, for a period equal to the remainder of that for which the subsisting licence was granted,

and any such period shall begin with the date on which the licence in question is expressed to come into force."
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:13 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

This is an email I received from the DVLA regarding renewing a UK DL...

I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.
Is anyone arguing that a UK drivers licence would be issued to a non British resident? I'm certainly not.

To be clear: The photocard expiry date is NOT the expiry of your DL. It doesn't matter what the DVLA or el Plod (mistakenly) inform you. Until the appropriate legislation (RTA 1988) is updated, they are just guilty of not knowing the law (not a surprise for your average copper or DVLA staff member, remember where the DVLA is - in one of the poorest and worst educated areas of Britain).

The MPS haven't even brought any prosecutions for an expired DL it appears:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...otocard_part_2

" Between 01/01/2011 and 31/12/2012, how many summonses have been issued
for offences under the Road Traffic Act (s99), where individuals have
failed to renew the photocard part of their driving licence? How many
of these summonses proceeded to a final hearing? How many convictions
have there been? How many people were fined the maximum £1,000?

This is to inform you that I cannot identify any specific
records/documents held by the MPS that will satisfy your request based on
the details you have provided."

Last edited by hungryhorace; Mar 24th 2014 at 5:41 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:17 pm
Banned

You must have an old pink DL. Most people have the photo ID DL which needs renewing every 10 years...that's when the problem arises.
I have a photocard + counterpart DL. If I am still resident in the US I have no intention of renewing my photocard when it expires as my UK driving licence continues to be valid. The photocard part would just be expired - a separate offence (for the hundredth time).
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute

There is another compelling 'financial' reason to keep your UK license. Ever compared the relative costs of US car rental when shopping through a UK website for Hertz or similar? Cost is typically half or even less! Just show your UK license at the rental desk and save loads....
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:34 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Samxboy
There is another compelling 'financial' reason to keep your UK license. Ever compared the relative costs of US car rental when shopping through a UK website for Hertz or similar? Cost is typically half or even less! Just show your UK license at the rental desk and save loads....
I haven't found that to be the case, though I agree with you, I would EXPECT it to be the case.

For example, I booked a Hertz rental recently for $220 - the cost to do it via Hertz UK would have been £155. That's with the same coverage's. I booked in advance via prepay, so this obviously affects it. The rates at the desk are insane, plus foreign drivers licences come loaded with all the insurance you'll never need (and AMEX card holders get as part of their package anyway).
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Samxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond reputeSamxboy has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
I haven't found that to be the case, though I agree with you, I would EXPECT it to be the case.

For example, I booked a Hertz rental recently for $220 - the cost to do it via Hertz UK would have been £155. That's with the same coverage's. I booked in advance via prepay, so this obviously affects it. The rates at the desk are insane, plus foreign drivers licences come loaded with all the insurance you'll never need (and AMEX card holders get as part of their package anyway).
Just pre-paid 300GBP for 2 weeks rental in Florida through UK website. Cost for exact same rental on US website was over $1,200.....go figure.. proud to be british when it suits
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:48 pm
Banned

Just pre-paid 300GBP for 2 weeks rental in Florida through UK website. Cost for exact same rental on US website was over $1,200.....go figure.. proud to be british when it suits
Bizarre. Do you hold a US state drivers licence? Not that they even ask that question when booking.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hertz is a bit funky though, search the web for Hertz discount codes. There are codes that can only be used on the US website.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve_
Hertz is a bit funky though, search the web for Hertz discount codes. There are codes that can only be used on the US website.
I used my AAA membership (20%) as my corporate AMEX code wasn't given anything more than 10%.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Bizarre. Do you hold a US state drivers licence? Not that they even ask that question when booking.
Yes....both. They know full well it happens so they place in the small print that you must present a UK license when picking up the vehicle. If you turn up with your US license they can and will decline to rent you the vehicle. Saying that I'm a gold club member at hertz and go straight through to vehicle pick up...they don't care.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:01 pm
Banned

Yes....both. They know full well it happens so they place in the small print that you must present a UK license when picking up the vehicle. If you turn up with your US license they can and will decline to rent you the vehicle. Saying that I'm a gold club member at hertz and go straight through to vehicle pick up...they don't care.
I experienced that recently. Corporate booked a travel reservation against my UK DL for a hire out of state. I turned up and they expected my UK DL. It's at home in my safe I reply, indeed I don't believe I'm even allowed to drive on my UK DL given I hold PR status in the US.

In the end I cancelled the booking and took out a rental against my US state DL which was $50 cheaper - I could waive the collision damage waiver as it's mandatory like it is for foreign licence hire.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I have a photocard + counterpart DL. If I am still resident in the US I have no intention of renewing my photocard when it expires as my UK driving licence continues to be valid. The photocard part would just be expired - a separate offence (for the hundredth time).
I think one way of looking at it is that without a legitimate means to renew the Photocard, the counterpart DL goes into a state of limbo. The DL is neither strictly valid or invalid but waiting until a legitimately renewed Photocard can be produced. Upon re-establishing residence you can legitimately renew the Photocard and the DL comes out of limbo.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:07 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I think one way of looking at it is that without a legitimate means to renew the Photocard, the counterpart DL goes into a state of limbo. The DL is neither strictly valid or invalid but waiting until a legitimately renewed Photocard can be produced. Upon re-establishing residence you can legitimately renew the Photocard and the DL comes out of limbo.
For practical purposes, I would agree. However, for purely legal purposes, the DL is 100% valid. ie, an insurer could not relinquish itself from coverage due to you holding an expired photocard DL - I'm sure they would try of course, but like I say, until the law is changed the DL holder retains an active and valid licence.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I used my AAA membership (20%) as my corporate AMEX code wasn't given anything more than 10%.
Yeah I use my AMA membership card and get 20% but I've noticed in the past some very strange things going on regards exchange rates as well. One of the reasons I stopped using Hertz, they seem to make it up as they go along. Like the "this car or equivalent" and the equivalent you get is far removed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.