Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing UK Drivers Licenece to add a USA address

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You can keep your UK licence, but you can't renew it and get it sent to a non UK address or change the addres the DVLA have to one outside the UK. Those are the rules
You cannot renew it if you are not a UK resident. You cannot give a UK address to renew a UK DL if you are not a UK resident.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You cannot renew it if you are not a UK resident. You cannot give a UK address to renew a UK DL if you are not a UK resident.
But how would they know? .... I am about to, rather belatedly, change my British drivers licence address to my mother's home. I do not envisage any problems or questions. If asked, I will tell them I am preparing to return. ..... Preparations that might never actually come to fruition!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed mine when I went home, used my mothers address, which was where I originally obtained it.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But how would they know? .... I am about to, rather belatedly, change my British drivers licence address to my mother's home. I do not envisage any problems or questions. If asked, I will tell them I am preparing to return. ..... Preparations that might never actually come to fruition!
They probably wouldn't know. However there are at least two issues to consider. 1. If they ask you to sign a declaration that you are resident in Great Britain, then it's likely to be committing an offence if you sign it falsely; and 2. If you want to claim you are non-resident in the U.K. (income tax/capital gains tax) or non-domiciled (inheritance tax) then it's probably not a good idea to be declaring yourself resident in the U.K. for another official purpose. It's not clear to what extent the tax issues would actually be enforced by HMRC, although whatever the situation is now could change in the future.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
They probably wouldn't know. However there are at least two issues to consider. 1. If they ask you to sign a declaration that you are resident in Great Britain, then it's likely to be committing an offence if you sign it falsely; and 2. If you want to claim you are non-resident in the U.K. (income tax/capital gains tax) or non-domiciled (inheritance tax) then it's probably not a good idea to be declaring yourself resident in the U.K. for another official purpose. It's not clear to what extent the tax issues would actually be enforced by HMRC, although whatever the situation is now could change in the future.
Fair points, which I shall bear in mind, however at the moment neither unduly concern me.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

They all use different definitions of residency, so saying yes to one is going to be hard to argue applies to another. And of course it only applies at a point in time for a DL.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
To what benefit though?

If you visit the UK it's easy enough to use a US licence to rent a car... if you do ever relocate back to the UK, it's dead easy to renew at that point, so what is the benefit now
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
If you visit the UK it's easy enough to use a US licence to rent a car..
I can't find it now, but I'm sure there was a discussion a little while ago about why it's better to use your US license.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:43 pm

To what benefit though?

If you visit the UK it's easy enough to use a US licence to rent a car... if you do ever relocate back to the UK, it's dead easy to renew at that point, so what is the benefit now.
You never know, it's just nice to have them. Like renewing a British passport, wholly unnecessary, readily obtainable at any point in the future, but nice to have in my possession, ..... like a pocket knife, a length of rope and my tin foil hat.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I did it because my old licence, the paper one, had disintegrated. Just wanted another form of ID.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It would be the insurance company I would be more worried about than the DVLA should you get into a scrape.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:47 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It would be the insurance company I would be more worried about than the DVLA should you get into a scrape.
Why? Is there any evidence out there that suggests that an unexpired licence is invalid even if the address is not current?
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:38 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

To what benefit though?

If you visit the UK it's easy enough to use a US licence to rent a car... if you do ever relocate back to the UK, it's dead easy to renew at that point, so what is the benefit now
Hertz UK , for example, don't allow you to drive on a non EU foreign drivers licence that hasn't been valid for greater than 12 months. I have to use my UK licence when I go back to England due to my US drivers licence being ineligible currently. Pretty ridiculous as any tickets could end up to my previous UK address with no expectation of ever finding their way to me.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:39 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why? Is there any evidence out there that suggests that an unexpired licence is invalid even if the address is not current?
The offence would be 'failure to inform a change of address' with the DVLA. The licence itself remains valid.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 2:40 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I can't find it now, but I'm sure there was a discussion a little while ago about why it's better to use your US license.
No chance of tickets being issued? The cops would need to issue a summons for any offence as foreign licences can't be endorsed. You think they're going to send a summons for an SP30 to America? I don't think so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.