Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Changes imminent to visas for the UK

Changes imminent to visas for the UK

Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:30 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changes imminent to visas for the UK

Originally Posted by Boiler
As far as the UK is concerned, well if they use the UK as a jumping off point whats the problem? When I lived there it was probably odd to not have at least one trip out within 90 days.
When I flew into Gatwick and then drove to the Netherlands with Toon, the only place my passport was inspected was at the Chunnel Ferry. The fact that I had left the UK did not extend my leave-by date, in the same way that most of the time, side visits to Mexico and Canada don't result in a full 90-day new I-94. Had I wanted to visit Europe for more than six months, then I would have had trouble re-entering the UK to catch my flight home.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I flew into Gatwick and then drove to the Netherlands with Toon, the only place my passport was inspected was at the Chunnel Ferry.
It wasn't inspected at Gatwick?

The fact that I had left the UK did not extend my leave-by date
You had left...You would get a new leave by date on re-entering.

in the same way that most of the time, side visits to Mexico and Canada don't result in a full 90-day new I-94.
You normally get the balance, true. But that is US Immigration rules.

Had I wanted to visit Europe for more than six months, then I would have had trouble re-entering the UK to catch my flight home
I do not think so. UK is not part of Schlenegan - might be a typo there.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 7:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
It will affect them because with these changes they'll only get 90 days without a visa and not the 6 months they currently get.

As an American I could not go to the UK for six months, let alone 90 days, so for me it won't affect me one way or the other.

For Brits, they have their citizenship so they are not affected either.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

UK is not part of Schlenegan - might be a typo there.
Schengen. Sch as in sherry, engen as in 'hang'-en (without the 'h').
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it sort of sounds the same, why can't they just can use English and be done with it.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:46 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by English Muffin
This could affect some people on here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7146527.stm
It'll affect us if we don't get the spousal and step sod visas sorted before they bung the price up to a bag of english sand!!! I might end up stuck here in the colonies for another bloody year!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 11:57 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Seems like an American approach.... propose something that will inconvenience a lot of people simply to assuage the anti-immigration rabid crowd, while immigrants intent on illegal immigration will carry on as usual. Thought the Brits were smarter than that.
The british general public aint. The current problem in the UK right now isn't illegal immigrants, in fact i don't think it ever really has been. The problem now is with legal immigration. A bunch of piss poor former soviet nations are allowed into the EU (far too soon IMO) and the Uk is suddenly awash with a cheap labour force who don't even need a visa to enter, gain housing, work and access to health care.

So, tightening up the immigration rules doesn't address the problem at all. It is just a bunch of bullshit. :curse:
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Well it sort of sounds the same, why can't they just can use English and be done with it.
English is too hard, even for native speakers.

Love what you made of it btw.... Schlenegans...
Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:57 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
The british general public aint. The current problem in the UK right now isn't illegal immigrants, in fact i don't think it ever really has been. The problem now is with legal immigration. A bunch of piss poor former soviet nations are allowed into the EU (far too soon IMO) and the Uk is suddenly awash with a cheap labour force who don't even need a visa to enter, gain housing, work and access to health care.

So, tightening up the immigration rules doesn't address the problem at all. It is just a bunch of bullshit. :curse:
So I was half right?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:12 am
Bugger Off!

So I was half right?
Always (he he)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

So I was half right?
Or half wrong?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 2:05 am
Bugger Off!

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Or half wrong?
Or a bit of both lol. I dunno. Been into the wifes vicadins so I forgot me own name ha ha.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:03 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Or a bit of both lol. I dunno. Been into the wifes vicadins so I forgot me own name ha ha.
Ah, my one temptation. If I ever became an addict that would be the stuff.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:35 pm
Bugger Off!

Ah, my one temptation. If I ever became an addict that would be the stuff.
I mistook them for the ibuprophens. Well, initially lol. Luckily she only had twenty off the doc so no chance of getting a monkey on me back - slept like a babe last night tho he he
Old Dec 20th 2007, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

They included a points-based system for economic migrants and the tightening of procedures for people bringing spouses into the country.
The last sentence of the article is what concerns me. Hubby and I are pretty sure we are going to move back to Glasgow in a few years, and I hope they don't make it too incredibly difficult for me to immigrate there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.