Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Challenges bringing pets to the USA

Challenges bringing pets to the USA

Old Mar 9th 2021, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Challenges bringing pets to the USA

The other week my wife flew back to the USA with our pets. We used Petair UK and paid for the Gold service. This was our second time bringing in pets.
Had a call with BA cargo and went through the routine. Go to cargo, pick up paperwork, take to customs and then come back to cargo with the customs release.

When we arrived at JFK it was all going good until we got to customs. Customs officer asked if all pets had been in the USA before and if so did we have proof.
The dog hadnt. Got told we needed to get a customs broker to clear the dog. Well at 9pm at night this was a shock. Frantic calls, some bad driving on my part around JFK and $400 later we got them cleared.
Just got to cargo as they wanted to close and saved the pets from a night in kennels.

I have let Petair know, but no response. If we had known in advance i'm sure it would of been $150 charge and it would of been smooth. A slightly stressful evening, but at least the roads back from JFK were quiet we were that late.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenges bringing pets to the USA

Originally Posted by Chins
The other week my wife flew back to the USA with our pets. We used Petair UK and paid for the Gold service. This was our second time bringing in pets.
Had a call with BA cargo and went through the routine. Go to cargo, pick up paperwork, take to customs and then come back to cargo with the customs release.

When we arrived at JFK it was all going good until we got to customs. Customs officer asked if all pets had been in the USA before and if so did we have proof.
The dog hadnt. Got told we needed to get a customs broker to clear the dog. Well at 9pm at night this was a shock. Frantic calls, some bad driving on my part around JFK and $400 later we got them cleared.
Just got to cargo as they wanted to close and saved the pets from a night in kennels.

I have let Petair know, but no response. If we had known in advance i'm sure it would of been $150 charge and it would of been smooth. A slightly stressful evening, but at least the roads back from JFK were quiet we were that late.
Strange. We used Virgin Atlantic cargo at EWR, not JFK, and had no issues last year January. Virgin Atlantic provides their own customs broker, but I know that the process with BA is different. I share your assessment that Petair is at fault, pursue them for a partial refund to cover your losses.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

Apparently its fairly recent thing. We had no issues the last time. EWR not an option this time as Virgin not flying pets.
If you use a customs brokers you can even get round the physical visit to customs.
Old Mar 9th 2021, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Blanca is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted in another thread in response to your advice re cargo and issues there.
this is what I have received from Pet Air when I asked for a quote to transport my dog to JFK ( he will be flying in cabin after all):
[QUOTE][It is highly recommended to use a broker on arrival into JFK for your pets, if you are not a returning US National then it is compulsory, we can arrange this for you with a Broker team, the additional cost fo this will be £160. If your pet is under six months old or changing ownership then please contact us for further advice. /QUOTE]