Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cha Ching, why you NEED health insurance.

Wikiposts

Cha Ching, why you NEED health insurance.

Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:29 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cha Ching, why you NEED health insurance.

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I tried that with my old insurance company. I had to have a blood test and when I got to the office they said they phlebotomist called off so I was sent 'down the hall' to someone else. I called my insurance company before I let them draw the blood and they said it would be paid. I got a bill and my insurance refused to pay as they said it was a hospital charge and had to be paid for out of my deductible.
The only way I think to deal with these things where you know that it's out of network and call them about it beforehand is to get an approval number. If you kick up enough fuss they will often change their minds on stuff too.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
The only way I think to deal with these things where you know that it's out of network and call them about it beforehand is to get an approval number. If you kick up enough fuss they will often change their minds on stuff too.
I didn't get an approval number but I did get the name of the person I talked to etc and wrote them a letter saying I had called blah blah blah and still refused to cover it. It ended up costing $90, not that it broke the bank but that wasn't the point.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I had bloodwork done...received a bill from the insurance company for $200 for one of the tests my doctor had requested. I called them and they said in their opinion the test wasn't necessary.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:01 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I had bloodwork done...received a bill from the insurance company for $200 for one of the tests my doctor had requested. I called them and they said in their opinion the test wasn't necessary.
What was the end product of this dispute? Surely they can't penalise you for this as you aren't a medical expert... Surely it's up to the doctor treating you, who knows your case as to what he needs done...
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
What was the end product of this dispute? Surely they can't penalise you for this as you aren't a medical expert... Surely it's up to the doctor treating you, who knows your case as to what he needs done...
What makes me laugh is such situations are so commonplace, yet Americans think "socialized medicine" is evil incarnate.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cha Ching, why you NEED health insurance.

I had a similar experience, so I filed a complaint with the state health commissioner. Insurance paid.

Last edited by Redwing; Jan 15th 2009 at 12:37 pm. Reason: Omitted last word.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 12:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
I had other things going on at the time...so very out of character for me I let it drop and paid it.

Originally Posted by Redwing
I had a similar experience, so I filed a complaint with the state health commissioner. Insurance paid.
Well done.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
What makes me laugh is such situations are so commonplace, yet Americans think "socialized medicine" is evil incarnate.
They compare it to the Canadian system typically and well up here its not that grand, yeah every is covered for basic health care but to actually get that care can be difficult and time consuming depending on what you need done.

Prescriptions are not typically covered, vision not covered for most etc.

In an emergency it would be grand, but for day to day health care its a royal pain in the arse depending on where you are due to lack of doctors and other health care workers and budget constraints.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They compare it to the Canadian system typically and well up here its not that grand, yeah every is covered for basic health care but to actually get that care can be difficult and time consuming depending on what you need done.

Prescriptions are not typically covered, vision not covered for most etc.

In an emergency it would be grand, but for day to day health care its a royal pain in the arse depending on where you are due to lack of doctors and other health care workers and budget constraints.
Not only that....one of the first things Reagan did back in the 50's was start a campaign daemonizing Socialized Medicine.....put the fear of god in to the American people by saying how long we had to wait for a bed etc etc....

As for this .....I had bloodwork done...received a bill from the insurance company for $200 for one of the tests my doctor had requested. I called them and they said in their opinion the test wasn't necessary.......so full of their own self importance!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar thing happen to me, I got a bill for $400 from the lab, argued it out with my insurance company. They paid $40 and the rest of written off as network 'discounts. :curse:
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Thing that ROYALLY pisses me off about my coverage is stuff they just decide isn't covered. And these are the sort of notifications we get when this happens in our "itemized" bill:

MEDICAL SERVICES $200
MEDICAL SERVICES $67
MEDICAL SERVICES $132
MEDICAL SERVICES $34*
MEDICAL SERVICES $45

* This isn't covered by your insurance

Errr, well I'll be buggered if I know what that was!? We're with Blue Cross, and are pretty good, but that just irritates the flying crap out of me!!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Thing that ROYALLY pisses me off about my coverage is stuff they just decide isn't covered. And these are the sort of notifications we get when this happens in our "itemized" bill:

MEDICAL SERVICES $200
MEDICAL SERVICES $67
MEDICAL SERVICES $132
MEDICAL SERVICES $34*
MEDICAL SERVICES $45

* This isn't covered by your insurance

Errr, well I'll be buggered if I know what that was!? We're with Blue Cross, and are pretty good, but that just irritates the flying crap out of me!!
I'm convinced they reject stuff of the flimsiest of pretences knowing full well that some people won't pursue it. Nearly every non-primary care claim I've had in the last year has involved me having to argue with my insurer to get them to pay something or other.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm convinced they reject stuff of the flimsiest of pretences knowing full well that some people won't pursue it. Nearly every non-primary care claim I've had in the last year has involved me having to argue with my insurer to get them to pay something or other.
I scrutinize every single statement/bill. I have found several errors, I also have thought a lot of people miss it or don't bother sorting it out. Funny there is never errors in my favor