Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

cell phones in the US

cell phones in the US

Old Feb 12th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default cell phones in the US

Can anyone recommend a good phone / contract package for cell phones. We're moving to California, most of my family have Iphones but the cost per month puts me off and we're just looking for a decent phone for phonecalls, texts and internet.

Any recommendations on particular phones or sites to look at. From what we've seen so far it appears that cell phones cost more per month than what we pay here. Also, do cell phone providers still charge you minutes for receiving a call. My plan used to when I lived over there over 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cell phones in the US

Hubbys parents live in CA, they use verizon for their cells and internet, they seem to be happy with it, but she was recently talking about moving over to some fibre optic option, not sure who it's with, but I can find out for you if you want me too.

Welcome to BE, by the way Where are you moving from, I am from Stockport,Cheshire
Old Feb 12th 2010, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get Verizon Fios (Fiber Optic all the way to the house) for internet/tv service where you are going, I'd recommend it - superfast speeds 24/7, high quality TV, and very reliable.

Cellphonewise, if you want full compatibility with the rest of the world for texting, using your phone overseas etc, I'd advise to stick with a GSM network - basically AT&T or T-Mobile.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Dan725;8336021]If you can get Verizon Fios (Fiber Optic all the way to the house) for internet/tv service where you are going, I'd recommend it - superfast speeds 24/7, high quality TV, and very reliable.QUOTE]

That's what I was trying to think of, just got email from MIL, they had it switched over last week and so far they are loving it
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to check the coverage where you are. AT&T is the only one that works in our street.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are other options who piggyback on the names. I am more interested in having coverage where I use it, not where I live.

Put in your ZIP, quite a few will not provide service where I am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:07 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We have no choice for land line here, it's a small local family owned company, we believe they are still stringing barbed wire together in some spots.
But many friends use cable internet and have vonage phone.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

All going to depend on where you live...doesn't matter if there's a great bargain plan for one company if the reception at home is next to nil...

Best advice is ask your neighbours and work colleagues who they use....
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You will need to check the coverage where you are. AT&T is the only one that works in our street.
Same here the majority of folk in CA seem to be with AT&T.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

First ask your self, locked or unlocked phone?

I have tried four of the major phone carriers, T mobile seems to be the cheapest and Verizon the most expensive, AT&T and Sprint sort of in the middle. It really depends on what you will be using your phone/Smartphone for. Need it for just basic calls? or for 3 or 4G? contract on no contract?

Originally Posted by katnap8
Can anyone recommend a good phone / contract package for cell phones. We're moving to California, most of my family have Iphones but the cost per month puts me off and we're just looking for a decent phone for phonecalls, texts and internet.

Any recommendations on particular phones or sites to look at. From what we've seen so far it appears that cell phones cost more per month than what we pay here. Also, do cell phone providers still charge you minutes for receiving a call. My plan used to when I lived over there over 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

We'll be living in Roseville (near Sacramento) to start off but then hopefully Burlingame or San Mateo. We're thinking of taking our phones from here over there but unlocking them first. The phones are 3G.

Originally Posted by Englishtart
Welcome to BE, by the way Where are you moving from, I am from Stockport,Cheshire
We're currently in Middlesbrough, husband is from here, I'm the American in the relationship
Old Feb 13th 2010, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be living in Roseville (near Sacramento) to start off but then hopefully Burlingame or San Mateo. We're thinking of taking our phones from here over there but unlocking them first. The phones are 3G.
If they're Quad band, they'll work where ever, but if they are Tri band, they might not work every where.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to get up and running without signing up to a 2-year contract, then just pick up a StraightTalk phone from WalMart.

Costs you for the phone up front (starting at $60-ish - but the first month is included) but then it's just $32 a month for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 30MB data per month, which is much cheaper than any contract. The phones go onto the Verizon/Alltel backbone.

http://www.straighttalk.com/

Then when you've settled in, you can decide if you want to stick with Straight Talk or go for a contract.

Last edited by BritishGuy36; Feb 13th 2010 at 9:53 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
There are so many plans, its hard to tell what is "best." Also, even within AT&T there are options. I was surprised on how little AT&T charges if you tailor your plan to you what you use. Also, mobile-to-mobile is often no charge and there is often no charge for weekend and night minutes.

As an aside, for historical reasons, the US has the concept of "air time" on the mobile user with no extra charges to the person calling TO a mobile phone. A dual national relative has noted that his UK mobile and the US mobile often end up costing the same.
Old Feb 14th 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
Guide from cnet.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.