Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

"Cell" phones...

"Cell" phones...

Old Apr 10th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "Cell" phones...

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Yeah the guy at the Ford dealership gave me a real funny look when I mentioned the sunroof! Elevator is still a tough one for me to remember, and cart when I'm in the supermarket. My 4 year old keeps reminding me it's not a trolley.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sunroof is one word a can't shake off...together with bath and taps.
Strange because although they are generally referred to as moonroofs on the websites and adverts most people around here still refer to them as sunroofs. This is the difference apparantly..

"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've never understood why people always say that the US is behind Europe in cell technology.
well according to the local att guys around here the Far East is #1 for cell technology, then Europe and last but not least the good old U.S. of A. they always love to chat with me when i go in for an upgrade and they hear my accent....they want to know what's going on in the cell phone world in the UK not that i know about cell phones, as long as mine and my BB works then that's ok by me.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:09 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i do use their words here..cart, tub, trunk, hood, moonroof - now that is a funny one to me ... it's only polite and one has to try to be understood however i very quickly revert back when i land at gatwick, no probs
Well, once it's on the kirb, the garbage truck comes and collects the trash but in the house it's all called rubbish and the bin men collect it
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:10 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

has it been 5 yrs already wow doesn't time fly when you are having fun
yeah, it doesn't seem that long ago at all
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:13 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I've never understood why people always say that the US is behind Europe in cell technology. Maybe it's because I live in an urban area and UMTS/HSDPA is everywhere. I guess if you live in East Dogpatch, that might not be the case.

Regardless, we're all in the Dark Ages compared to South Korea and Japan. Ever seen a South Korean DMB phone?

Also, just like to point out that from several perspectives, CDMA/CDMA2000 is superior to GSM. CDMA voice quality is usually better, for example.
I think 5 years ago it was genuinely crap compared to europe

people still remember the bad old days

For example, a mate of mine in the UK with the same phone as me just got hspda data on orange about three weeks ago, whereas I've had it for 18 months with ATT

ATT has a good network and you have access to lots of high tech phones.

Tmobile is cheap and you get what you pay for IMO
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:15 pm
Mr. Grumpy

well according to the local att guys around here the Far East is #1 for cell technology, then Europe and last but not least the good old U.S. of A. they always love to chat with me when i go in for an upgrade and they hear my accent....they want to know what's going on in the cell phone world in the UK not that i know about cell phones, as long as mine and my BB works then that's ok by me.
Yep, the phones are still not as plentiful or as cheap, but the data capabilities and plans are very comparable if not better.

you can always buy a phone off line if you like, whereas changing technology is tough - O2 in the Uk also only just recently upgraded their data network to support edge for the iphone (had it here for 4 years)
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Well, once it's on the kirb, the garbage truck comes and collects the trash but in the house it's all called rubbish and the bin men collect it
exactly, love it!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Yep, the phones are still not as plentiful or as cheap, but the data capabilities and plans are very comparable if not better.
still don't like the fact we are charged for incoming calls here esp as the local hot wings cafe had a printing error on their new take-away food menus and it showed my cell number, and i had all the calls for their orders on my cell

i had great fun with it though coz i'd take the peeps orders and tell them their order would be ready in 5 mins
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Longy
Strange because although they are generally referred to as moonroofs on the websites and adverts most people around here still refer to them as sunroofs. This is the difference apparantly..

"Sunroof" is the generic term used to describe an operable panel in a vehicle roof which can let in light and/or air. "Moonroof" is a term created by Ford in the 70s, yet is now used generically to describe glass panel inbuilt electric sunroofs.
Hi:

My 83 Peugeot 505S and the 1986 Volvo 740GLE had metal panel "sunroofs" I remember that 1987 Acura Legend had the glass "moonroof", older daughter's 1991 Volvo 740 Wagon ["Estate" to UK types, and one drinks in a "Saloon" not drive one, but I digress] had the metal one. The other Volvos [960 & S70] had glass and I don't recall what they were called! My current BMW [kids out of college -- I deserve it and I hope its the last car I ever buy] has glass and I think they call it a sunroof. I had a Firm Lincoln LS for a while and it had no opening roof -- I actually liked the headroom since I'm over 6' tall.

BTW, the 1986 Volvo had the most reliable roof -- it had a hand crank to open it.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sunroof is one word a can't shake off...together with bath and taps.
I'm confused by this - I've lived here 18 years and didn't know that Americans didn't call it a sunroof. Are you sure about that? (Up here in far northern NY no-one has one - whether it is a sunroof or moonroof! We are more into Subaru Outbacks [democratic voters] or F150s [republicans])
As for faucet, I checked in the dictionary a while ago. It is a medieval word for a tap on a barrel (like a spile or bung or something,) and, like a lot of such words, still current here but considered archaic in England.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy

I just realised I missed a whole page of replies when I posted my comment (above.) Sorry about that!!
Old Apr 11th 2008, 12:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP

If you are a moderate to heavy phone user who makes outgoing calls, being in the US will save you money. The use of airtime for incoming calls is offset by the fact that there is no premium charge for calling to a mobile, as is the case in the UK. With a UK SIM card, I've ended up paying more for a week's worth of service in the UK than I have for a month in the US.
Also take note that all the big carriers (Sprint, T-mobile, Verizon, AT&T) will give you free minutes when you call someone else that is on the same network as yourself. So if you have friends that are all on Verizon and you are on Verizon, then all incoming and outgoing calls to those friends are free and do not count against your contract minutes.

Originally Posted by Mallory
Most people have a landline at home. Free outgoing/incoming calls in a large local area 24/7.
We have a digital phone at home for about $30/mo. All phone calls are free. I can call anywhere in the US with no add'l cost. This service is getting to be pretty common in metro areas.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Apr 11th 2008 at 12:57 am.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
As for faucet, I checked in the dictionary a while ago. It is a medieval word for a tap on a barrel (like a spile or bung or something,) and, like a lot of such words, still current here but considered archaic in England.
Just like the word 'reckon.' I was LOL the first time my OH used the word. That word is considered backwards, and typically only heard/used in the South. But it seems to be regularly used in Britain.
Old Apr 11th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

robnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to allrobnewman is a name known to all

No doubt I will get a landline too... but I will be travelling a lot so I will need a cellphone (there... I said it! ).

I wasn't aware that my UK N95 would not be compatible with the 3g in the US... that might be a fly in the ointment... I have to admit, I was hoping to port it directly as paying a small fortune for a new "US spec" N95 seems a little much... That's the other thing about cell companies in the US... it seems that you have to pay a packet to get the latest phones... even if you sign up for the better plans ... I got my N95 free from Orange.

Anyways... I'm sure I'll sort it out... I guess if I end up getting a new one, then i don't have to restrict myself to one or two companies...

How is the whole handset upgrade dealio over there? Do you get the option of a free upgrade every 12 months?

(I know... I've got bigger fish to fry right now not least my visa interview... I'm just a self confessed technophile!)
Old Apr 11th 2008, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

You might get free phones in the UK but try getting an unlimited call, text and data plan for £50 a month. Orange doesn't even offer such a thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.