Cell Phones

Old May 7th 2005, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Cell Phones

Ok, again, I am leaving for the US in a month and I am going through all of those things that after a while just start to piss you off!

Latest thing - Cell Phones.

I have recently bought a new Triband phone to use when I get to the States, and got my fiancee to call Cingular to find out about adding me, etc. Basically, they said that they won't let me use their service unless I buy one of their phones!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outrageous!!

I have my own phone thank you very much! I am a potential new customer, and I want to use your service - give you MY business - but I already HAVE a phone!!

Now my fiancee thinks that every operator in the country is like that. You can't use your own phone with a different operator.

The reason I thought Cingular would be ok is my fiancee told me they have a Sim card system (like in Europe), unlike a lot of phones in the US. If I have a Sim card, I can just pop it into any phone no??

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this? Did anyone take their phone over with them? Is she right, that every operator will be the same??

It may seem like I am overreacting - but it is the fact that I have bought this new phone coupled with the whole principle of the thing! That I can't use their service unless I buy their phone.

Please help... someone....
Old May 7th 2005, 8:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell Phones

You've only got 2 operators to choose from if you want to keep your spiffy new phone: Cingulair and T-Mobile.

Their only wish is to get you into as long a contract as possible with a bloody great early termination fee. You're not playing their game, so as far as they're concerned you can p*ss off coz there are 300 million other suckers out there.

It's generally a waste of time bringing a mobile over...

Welcome to US corporations, BTW. Any idea why they don't do very well in the global marketplace?
Old May 7th 2005, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You've only got 2 operators to choose from if you want to keep your spiffy new phone: Cingulair and T-Mobile.

Their only wish is to get you into as long a contract as possible with a bloody great early termination fee. You're not playing their game, so as far as they're concerned you can p*ss off coz there are 300 million other suckers out there.

Welcome to US corporations, BTW. Any idea why they don't do very well in the global marketplace?
Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned before, we called Cingular and they said my phone won't work with them. I have to buy a new phone with them. I find it so hard to believe that there isn't a provider out there that will let me use my own phone.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps if you go into one of their shops when you get here you might be able to get it transferred. However some phones are locked to particular carriers, so you might have to remove that lock before you can use it on another network.

-tom
Old May 7th 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Perhaps if you go into one of their shops when you get here you might be able to get it transferred. However some phones are locked to particular carriers, so you might have to remove that lock before you can use it on another network.

-tom
My phone I bought from over here is completly unlocked, if that is what you mean?

You think that might help?
Old May 7th 2005, 8:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned before, we called Cingular and they said my phone won't work with them. I have to buy a new phone with them. I find it so hard to believe that there isn't a provider out there that will let me use my own phone.

Provided your phone isn't locked, you can throw the sim card in and it'll work. CSR rep is just ignorant -- it's usually one of the prime qualifications along with an attitude. Beware that the initial bootstrap routine may then lock your cell phone to the Cingulair network!

I'm assuming on a quick look that you're married (or getting married) to a USC. Best bet is probably just to have she-who-must-be-obeyed modify her plan to a family style one. This should also avoid the no-credit-history problem.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

My phone I bought from over here is completly unlocked, if that is what you mean?

That means you can use any sim card in it, then you just have to persuade them to take you on. I'm surprised that they won't because they don't have to subsidise a new cell phone for you like they would for a regular customer.

Also, I think they'll run your credit score for a cell phone so your fiancee might have to put her name on the contract.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Provided your phone isn't locked, you can throw the sim card in and it'll work. CSR rep is just ignorant -- it's usually one of the prime qualifications along with an attitude. Beware that the initial bootstrap routine may then lock your cell phone to the Cingulair network!

I'm assuming on a quick look that you're married (or getting married) to a USC. Best bet is probably just to have she-who-must-be-obeyed modify her plan to a family style one. This should also avoid the no-credit-history problem.
Hi,

Again - thanks for your help. It has made me feel better.

Question is... how do I get a Cingular sim card? Bearing in mind Cingular told me I had to buy a Cingular phone to use the service....

You are right, I am getting married to a USC. She already has a family plan going, and can just add me to it.

Matt
Old May 7th 2005, 8:35 pm
Septicity

Hi,

Again - thanks for your help. It has made me feel better.

Question is... how do I get a Cingular sim card? Bearing in mind Cingular told me I had to buy a Cingular phone to use the service....

You are right, I am getting married to a USC. She already has a family plan going, and can just add me to it.

Matt

If I were you I'd just take the cheapest or free phone they offer when they add you to the family plan. If you don't like it, move the sim card to yours. Regardless, you've got a spare phone for the family, which can be useful.

Alternatively and if you fancy your negotiating skills, attempt to get on the plan without a phone while negotiating for no increase in the period of contract she will probably already have. You will have to push very hard to get this through, if at all. Trust nobody unless it's in writing!
Old May 7th 2005, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

If I were you I'd just take the cheapest or free phone they offer when they add you to the family plan. If you don't like it, move the sim card to yours. Regardless, you've got a spare phone for the family, which can be useful.

Alternatively and if you fancy your negotiating skills, attempt to get on the plan without a phone while negotiating for no increase in the period of contract she will probably already have. You will have to push very hard to get this through, if at all. Trust nobody unless it's in writing!
Great.

Just need to double double check that Cingular phones use sim cards, and we are away! I'll let you know any updates.

Cheers!
Old May 7th 2005, 8:44 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Worst case you have to buy a phone. Buy the cheapest one then put the chip in your phone. Voila

Your doing alot of moaning about the US Matt for someone who isn't here yet.
Old May 7th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by evoal2003
Worst case you have to buy a phone. Buy the cheapest one then put the chip in your phone. Voila

Your doing alot of moaning about the US Matt for someone who isn't here yet.
Haha, I am really trying not to!

I have been to the States many times, and spent many months there, but just some things you know... just niggle at me!

I love the USA, but I guess every country has it's little foibles right?

So... conclusion is my unlocked phone should be fine, as long as I can get that sim card...?

Thank you!
Old May 7th 2005, 9:11 pm
Septicity

Great.

Just need to double double check that Cingular phones use sim cards, and we are away! I'll let you know any updates.

Cheers!

Cinglair and T-Mobile both use sim cards in their phones. They use the GSM system (unlike other US carriers) but at 1900 rather than the Evropean 900/1800 frequecies. Note, however, that the knowledge of sim cards is virtually unknown in the US.
Old May 7th 2005, 9:28 pm
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

I was on Vodafone back in the UK and brought over my Ericsson T610 which was a sweet IR/Bluetooth enabled phone. I got a contract with T-Mobile and took the simcard from their cheap phone and put it into my own. Worked no problem.

However...after spending $62 a month for about 19 months on a family plan we decided to switch to a pay-as-you-go system with T-Mobile, which given our usage, will cost about $300 a year instead of $700.

Short answer is - bring over your own phone, use your better half's sim card in yours - if it works you should be good. If it doesn't, consider the options.
Old May 7th 2005, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't you just wait until you got here to buy one to save all the hassle?. It's not like cellphones are much more expensive here. Plus give it 6 months and your new phone will be out of date and missing a few bells and whistles. Sure Tri band phones are nice, but the cost of making a call should you need to abroad is so expensive. I remember with Orange when I had mine, it cost £1.10 pounds a minute to make a call in the U.S. but if someone called me, it was just £0.55 pence. I use to call home and say call me right back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.