Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cell Phone Contracts

Cell Phone Contracts

Old Jan 19th 2012, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cell Phone Contracts

When you have a contract with a service provider usually around two years in the US. If I wanted to transfer my phone and number to a different provider, will the provider I have now see that as a breach of contract on my part and will I have to pay a large fee? I am new to doing this so I am just wanting to know if it possible to be done with out extra cost.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cell Phone Contracts

In my experience yes, there will be a termination cost. You can transfer the number but the new provider will contact the old one to do it.

The size of the termination cost is usually dependent on the length of time left on your original contract.
Old Jan 19th 2012, 9:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag

The size of the termination cost is usually dependent on the length of time left on your original contract.
Plus if within the initial contract period, the termination fee which is usually between $200-400.

Transferring the number is the easy bit, but some providers won't do that if you are still within your initial contract period, only doing it if you had extended the contract or were out of contract.
Old Jan 20th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

Yes, they will charge you a ETF.
After prorated ETFs became mandatory by law for the providers, i.e. the further along you're into your contract, the lower the fee has to be, they retaliated by raising the ETF astronomically, especially for smartphones.

/not gonna enter a long term contract with any cellphone provider again
Old Jan 20th 2012, 1:42 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone here explain the difference between service agreements vs contracts in regards to cell phone carriers with implied and enforceability etc? I've never provided any signature and never have seen any terms and conditions. The extent which I know is that by nature they are bi-lateral agreements but since they have your SS# they can f*** with your credit history if they so wish and then you'd have to petition it etc...
Old May 21st 2012, 6:01 am
Banned

celinaB is an unknown quantity at this point

Signing a service contract with a cell phone carrier is often necessary to get the cellular service and the cell phone that you want. But committing to a two-year contract can be intimidating, even if you're not a commitment-phobe.
Old May 21st 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

There are so many pay as you go and pay by the month options available, which are cheaper, don't require a credit check, it doesn't make any sense o enter a two year contract.
Old May 21st 2012, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kar98
There are so many pay as you go and pay by the month options available, which are cheaper, don't require a credit check, it doesn't make any sense o enter a two year contract.
Agreed: better to buy the phone you want and then get a pay-as-you-go sim. I use the AT&T 10c a minute plan (I don't make a lot of calls). I don't need data as I'm rarely far from WiFi or a pc and I add the $10 a month international calling to my wife's phone. Keeps the costs low and I'm not locked into anyone.
Old May 21st 2012, 3:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kar98
And it's so easy to port the number that it makes life a lot easier changing carriers whenever another one offers a better deal.