Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cedars Sinai, LA compared with Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (one expat's view)

Cedars Sinai, LA compared with Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (one expat's view)

Old Feb 24th 2012, 12:26 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Cedars Sinai, LA compared with Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (one expat's view)

OK....yes, it's in the 'Daily Mail' but this is what one US based Brit expat says about her hospital experiences in LA and London:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...best-care.html

(Loads of comments below the article as well)
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:19 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cedars Sinai, LA compared with Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (one expat's view)

What an excellent article! Well written and really gets to the point of the humanity & caring attitude that I've noticed in health care in the UK versus the United States. I really think that being in a commercial enterprise does corrupt doctors and nurses in the US. Thanks for posting it.. this goes a long way to redeeming the Daily Mail. I'll have a look at the comments below the article later.. should be some fun to be had there!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cedars Sinai, LA compared with Chelsea & Westminster Hospital (one expat's view)

Good counter to a lot of the healthcare propaganda (or misleading impressions) you get over here. The Chelsea and Westminster Hospital is one of the best in the UK - however the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is pretty highly ranked as well so the comparison is fair.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the comments are disheartening though.

People either focusing on that the NHS is still tax funded and not free, thus missing the point of cost at service...or bringing up how quick service in the US can be when having good insurance saying how it works because it isn't funded by taxes, thus missing the point of those either un-insured or worse, those who are under-insured.

It was a good article though.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I think the DM health editor must be on his hols and this slipped through rather than the usual feast of x does/does not give you cancer.

As usual with a DM article, tough, there are things that have you scratching your head:
The NHS was not free to me because I have not lived in Britain for so long. I have yet to receive the bill, but the published cost of a gall bladder removal by laparoscopy is around £3,000 in the UK, so I am expecting a similar charge for my appendectomy in London

An appendectomy was presumably an emergency procedure, so there should be no charge.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:29 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I think the DM health editor must be on his hols and this slipped through rather than the usual feast of x does/does not give you cancer.

As usual with a DM article, tough, there are things that have you scratching your head:
The NHS was not free to me because I have not lived in Britain for so long. I have yet to receive the bill, but the published cost of a gall bladder removal by laparoscopy is around £3,000 in the UK, so I am expecting a similar charge for my appendectomy in London

An appendectomy was presumably an emergency procedure, so there should be no charge.
Isn't this a bit different from a normal newspaper article, in that it is actually written by the person concerned.. not filtered through a journalist's narrative reporting.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:31 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if there is travel Insurance willing to pay I dont begrudge the NHS trying to get a few quid from it.

Given enough foreigners take it for a ride in the first place!
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:35 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dogloverus
Well if there is travel Insurance willing to pay I dont begrudge the NHS trying to get a few quid from it.

Given enough foreigners take it for a ride in the first place!
Effing foreigners, eh?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:42 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by robin1234
Isn't this a bit different from a normal newspaper article, in that it is actually written by the person concerned.. not filtered through a journalist's narrative reporting.
Journalists at the Daily Mail?

Shome mishtake, shurely?
Old Feb 24th 2012, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly squares with what my husband says having worked with doctors in both systems as a research scientist. His first job here was at Cedars, he hated the ethos there.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:11 pm
Banned

dogloverus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Certainly squares with what my husband says having worked with doctors in both systems as a research scientist. His first job here was at Cedars, he hated the ethos there.
was the ethos for the doctors at cedar to grab the patients wallet by its throat before doing anything first by chance??
Old Feb 24th 2012, 4:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by dogloverus
was the ethos for the doctors at cedar to grab the patients wallet by its throat before doing anything first by chance??
Actually that was one aspect of the article (which in general I thought was excellent and well written) that was a bit unfair and laid on a bit thick. All you have to do when seeking care in the US, or registering at the hospital or whatever, is establish your insurance credentials. I've never found it traumatic or offensive .. although clearly it would be different for someone who didn't have insurance.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that was one aspect of the article (which in general I thought was excellent and well written) that was a bit unfair and laid on a bit thick. All you have to do when seeking care in the US, or registering at the hospital or whatever, is establish your insurance credentials. I've never found it traumatic or offensive .. although clearly it would be different for someone who didn't have insurance.
She didn't claim it was traumatic or offensive; she merely contrasted the time it takes to get the information for them to get paid with the time it took for her to be attended to. The only comment I'd quibble with is being asked for a copayment in emergency. In my limited experience, that hasn't happened - we've been billed later.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
She didn't claim it was traumatic or offensive; she merely contrasted the time it takes to get the information for them to get paid with the time it took for her to be attended to. The only comment I'd quibble with is being asked for a copayment in emergency. In my limited experience, that hasn't happened - we've been billed later.
Well, she described it as "American private hospital where doctors grab you by the wallet and say ‘cough’ before they’ll do anything else." Sounds a bit traumatic & offensive, to me..?

I'd agree with your quibble about copayments up front; I've never ever been asked for one.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 5:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with your quibble about copayments up front; I've never ever been asked for one.
I have....quite a few friends too.

Usually from experience, a $75 ER co-pay you pay up front, which then gets refunded by insurance if you get admitted over night, presuming you've met the annual deductible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.