Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cat Relocation

Cat Relocation

Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat Relocation

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Hmm... cats.. Don't pass up this rare chance to ditch them,.
My husband keeps saying that!
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

catlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond reputecatlover3 has a reputation beyond repute

Where did you guys get the pet carrier from? We already have one but I wonder if it's too small or meets regulations. Colin Feral is tiny, she's like a kitten really, by we want her to feel comfortable!

We are also going with Virgin. We fly on May 23rd but they've asked us to call "nearer the time" to book her in as the flight is a new one and not in the cargo systems yet! However in worst case scenario she takes the 3pm (we are on the 1pm flight). I am a bit concerned about the domestic leg from manchester to LHR. We haven't booked it yet and might have to take her down on the train! Miaow (better get used to that sound)
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:38 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

I bought this crate from Amazon www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000TBJ4J8/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=3TYZOX7NY79WN&coliid=ITG FUZU9EFQVS
Old Mar 27th 2017, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought this one, as recommended by The Moose on this thread. https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product....47&pf_id=61944

I've checked, and it still ticks all the boxes for approval with Virgin Atlantic. They told me it's around the average size carrier they usually see cats travel in, which comforts me in that it's not the smallest they approve! Hopefully that means Ted will be above-average comfy.

You've probably already seen it, but this page is incredibly useful: Flying with pets | Travelling with pets | Virgin Atlantic

Good luck on your travels! Fingers crossed you can all get in on the same flight.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all!
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KK85
Ted, as you can see, is utterly thrilled with his passport.

Attachment 127293

All went extremely smoothly at the vet - he had the rabies jab, was given a general once-over and then we completed the paperwork for his passport, which took no more than 20 minutes. It cost less than I was originally quoted, at a mere £57 for the lot. Everything was then linked up with his microchip, and now we just wait! Within ten days of travel we'll need to go back to obtain his Export Health Certificate, and until then it's just a case of waiting on my visa so that I can book our flight, which I still intend to do with Virgin Atlantic. The vet advised me to keep an eye on protocols for pet shipping as it can change very quickly, so we'll make sure to keep checking the rules regularly between now and when we leave.
:
Do you not complete the Export Health Certificate yourself, or have I misunderstood?
DEFRA (AHVLA) Export Health Certificate - Animal Airlines
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by catlover3
Do you not complete the Export Health Certificate yourself, or have I misunderstood?
DEFRA (AHVLA) Export Health Certificate - Animal Airlines
I suppose, in some instances, perhaps it is possible that you can? Or maybe it needs to be signed off by a vet? I am not certain, honestly. All I know is that I have been told by my vet to pay one more visit to them within ten days of travel in order to complete/receive Ted's certificate.

If you're going the route of doing this yourself, without using a pet shipping company, perhaps give your vet a quick phone call and ask how they operate on these matters? They'll give you better personal advice than I can. I'm very lucky as my/Ted's vet seems very knowledgeable and have given me every confidence that they know what they're doing, so I'm trusting them at the same time as backing up state-specific research as the days tick by. Hopefully you will have the same fortunate experience with your vet.
Old Mar 28th 2017, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

MariaKW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
Can I just add a some experience I have regarding pet carriers. We travelled across country (by car luckily) with our cats in a pet carrier that had passed international standards for air travel for cats and small dogs. We had only got a few km on the highway when one cat escaped from the carrier. There was a small hatch at the top of the carrier so you can put in food and water and she bashed her head against it repeatedly, cutting her nose, until she got out.
Thought that was probably worth sharing, might help someone reading this.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Hammer15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We are looking at moving with our cat to NJ in July. Ideally we'd be flying American Airlines but they do not accept cats in the hold when the temperature at departure or destination is above 85F. So it would be a bit of a lottery in attempting it.

Does Virgin (or other airline, preferably One World alliance) have a policy where this isn't the case?

And yes, I know AA are doing this for the cat's own welfare!
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammer15
Hi all,

We are looking at moving with our cat to NJ in July. Ideally we'd be flying American Airlines but they do not accept cats in the hold when the temperature at departure or destination is above 85F. So it would be a bit of a lottery in attempting it.

Does Virgin (or other airline, preferably One World alliance) have a policy where this isn't the case?

And yes, I know AA are doing this for the cat's own welfare!
Hi Hammer15,

I'm afraid I can't speak for all airlines - hopefully they will have this information on their webpages so you don't have to make too many calls - but my understanding is that Virgin Atlantic will allow pet travel year-round, except for pets leaving Orlando & Miami, where there are restrictions. Obviously that won't apply to you, as you're going to NJ! There is more information here: Flying with pets | Travelling with pets | Virgin Atlantic

I will be flying my cat into either Newark or JFK sometime between July and September, and when I expressed concern to Virgin Atlantic about temperatures possibly being too high (I, too, had read that the heat of summer could cause issue), I was assured that this wouldn't be an issue. I'd give them a quick call, to double-check! But Virgin Atlantic might be a good choice for you, and it seems a lot of people on this thread have only had good experiences with them.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Hammer15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KK85
Hi Hammer15,

I'm afraid I can't speak for all airlines - hopefully they will have this information on their webpages so you don't have to make too many calls - but my understanding is that Virgin Atlantic will allow pet travel year-round, except for pets leaving Orlando & Miami, where there are restrictions. Obviously that won't apply to you, as you're going to NJ! There is more information here: Flying with pets | Travelling with pets | Virgin Atlantic

I will be flying my cat into either Newark or JFK sometime between July and September, and when I expressed concern to Virgin Atlantic about temperatures possibly being too high (I, too, had read that the heat of summer could cause issue), I was assured that this wouldn't be an issue. I'd give them a quick call, to double-check! But Virgin Atlantic might be a good choice for you, and it seems a lot of people on this thread have only had good experiences with them.
Fantastic, thanks KK85! I did see that Virgin page but wasn't sure if the 85F thing was governmental advice. I will give Virgin a call and check round some other airlines.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hammer15
Fantastic, thanks KK85! I did see that Virgin page but wasn't sure if the 85F thing was governmental advice. I will give Virgin a call and check round some other airlines.
The more I read about it, the more I see that rule applying to specific breeds of dog, especially. I think flying a plain ol' domestic shorthair from the UK to the USA is far less restrictive! There's nothing whatsoever in the Virgin Ts & Cs about temperature or no-fly seasons, and they were very reassuring on the phone.

Good luck!

(I swear this thread isn't just a cheeky advert for Virgin Atlantic - they have sincerely been very accommodating and informative whenever I've spoken to them! I'm sure you'll be in great hands, too. )
Old Apr 28th 2017, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Hi all
Just updating you on the above. It turns out we can't travel with Colin on Virgin! Well we can, but we aren't able to get from Manchester to Heathrow with her on our connecting BA flight. Pet Air will travel with her by road, meeting us at Heathrow, but the cost is higher than her flight to LA!! Our other options are to take the train to Heathrow and stay overnight (but what airport hotel will accept a cat), or to get her on a direct flight from MAN to LAX, which I believe is Delta, but then we need someone to collect her on the other end if our flight is delayed.

I didn't expect this rigmarole, just because we are taking a connecting flight :-(
Old Apr 28th 2017, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

aless02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond reputealess02 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all
Just updating you on the above. It turns out we can't travel with Colin on Virgin! Well we can, but we aren't able to get from Manchester to Heathrow with her on our connecting BA flight. Pet Air will travel with her by road, meeting us at Heathrow, but the cost is higher than her flight to LA!! Our other options are to take the train to Heathrow and stay overnight (but what airport hotel will accept a cat), or to get her on a direct flight from MAN to LAX, which I believe is Delta, but then we need someone to collect her on the other end if our flight is delayed.

I didn't expect this rigmarole, just because we are taking a connecting flight :-(
We're only in theoretical stages at the minute, but that's the reason we're planning on driving down to Heathrow instead of flying out of our usual Manchester. It's a real pain! Could you not drive down the day before to drop cat off, then stay in a hotel and catch your own flight out of LHR the next day?
Old Apr 28th 2017, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all

I'm sorry to hear that, catlover. It all sounds rather stressful! I echo what aless02 asks, about possibly driving down to Heathrow on this occasion. Perhaps it might be worth the time/money expense when weighed up against the convenience of you all travelling on the same flight?

Due to a change in circumstance, I have brought forward my cat's Stateside move and will be shipping him over (with me, though I will only be visiting) on the 10th of May. We booked with Virgin - it ended up costing £443.60, which is cheaper than we were originally quoted, I imagine due to the time of year.

I will report back on how it all goes! I'm full of dread for poor Ted and will look forward to it all being over, but am also excited to set him up in his new home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.