Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Casa Grande ARIZONA

Casa Grande ARIZONA

Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:56 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Casa Grande ARIZONA

Originally Posted by evoal2003
There is alot more considerations to living here which people are pointing out. It's not anywhere near as bad as partystar makes out, well it hasn't been for me, but the schooling and health care would be my concerns in your situation. Remember for every bad thing there is a good one to compensate, they are however more difficult to find...

I used to ride alot through shrops, I was from Staffs.

alan runs to hide from PS... :scared:
Hahaha Al, you're very funny...I know you love me really!

As I've said before, it all depends on what is important to you in life. I never in a million years thought it was be so shit here, I wish someone would have told us about how things really were, even hubby was shocked when we moved back & he's originally from here!
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:59 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
i get insurance with my job, so does my husband
i will not be returning to the uk unless i get forcibly removed to there, i have no ties or links here really
i have looked into it a bit as we have been going through the process for three years i didnt just decide to come to the usa on a whim honest i didnt just visit disney and decide to go and live there , but i dont pretend to have a clue what it will really be like, i can only make a best guess but i will never know unless i try, and it cant all be bad, after all you lot are all out there, many of you have been there for years, and england also isnt what it was even 2 years ago, the place is changing rapidly, not all of it is for the better unfortunately. (having said that i dont think that the usa is perfect either, just different)
i love the nhs and what it stands for however i do not see how it can survive really i love england too but am scared what it may become in the future...
This is good, it will make things much easier for you all.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:21 pm
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Partystar]Hahaha Al, you're very funny...I know you love me really!
QUOTE]

I never said I didn't.

There are some very good points in this thread for the OP I just thought that
she needed to know it wasn't all bad.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It all happened within a few weeks for us and I remember that Wednesday morning, 10 yrs ago, walking through Manchester Airport in a daze as if it was yesterday. If I could turn the clock back I really don't know whether I would stay in the UK or move here. Unless you try you will never know.

BTW our daughter adapted very well with no problems whatsoever.
I remember July 22 in 1992 getting on the plane at Heathrow and flying into Washington Dulles. I can't believe I did it so casually and I wasn't thinking of the enormity of the decision I had made to leave the UK and come to the US. I plan to move back next year (July 2007) and I am already aware of the complexity of the move ahead. I think as we get older things are more complicated. When I was 23 getting on a plane and moving to a new continent was no biggie! If I could do it again, I think I would still do this. It has been a valuable experience and I have learned so much here.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 2:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simongb
I remember July 22 in 1992 getting on the plane at Heathrow and flying into Washington Dulles. I can't believe I did it so casually and I wasn't thinking of the enormity of the decision I had made to leave the UK and come to the US. I plan to move back next year (July 2007) and I am already aware of the complexity of the move ahead. I think as we get older things are more complicated. When I was 23 getting on a plane and moving to a new continent was no biggie! If I could do it again, I think I would still do this. It has been a valuable experience and I have learned so much here.
I certainly think the older you are when you move, the harder it is settle in a different country.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 14th 2006 at 2:46 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:18 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly think the older you are when you move, the harder it is settle in a different country.
Not really ..I had already retired before I moved here .....Had no probs whatsoever ..
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:21 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
..I had already retired before I moved here .......
you're so old you had retired before Columbus moved here
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Of course ..somebody had to email him the direction ... he was related to
Waxrabbit ........
Old Jun 14th 2006, 3:41 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Are you suggesting that Ray discovered America?

NC Penguin
Old Jun 14th 2006, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

BrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond reputeBrandonBrit has a reputation beyond repute

AZ is a wonderful place to live, I'm sure you'll enjoy CG...it's really building up out there now as someone pointed out earlier. It's easy driving on main interstates to go to all sorts of interesting places...

Once you get to know your way around different places, you'll have no trouble travelling from the east to west and south to north sides.

Living in the desert is very different to living at home...it was a real shock to me, I expected to see rolling sand dunes and the likes of Arabian knights or some such when I first arrived here, I had no clue...but the desert (am I spelling that right, it's getting late) is really like flat brown scrub land with cacti and palm trees dotted about, although not like it use to be, as it's all getting filled up with houses and buildings everywhere in the valley area now.

The heat can be a shock too, but your house will have A/C, as will you house and as do all shops and buisnesses... so you only get hot sitting outside or walking about when shopping, and you can always shop in the evening when the sun goes down, it's still hot then in the summer, but at least it's not burning into your skin

You will do well with being a nurse out here, I have a few friends who are nurses in the area, they love their jobs, and earn good money and seem to enjoy living the American life.

As for schooling for your kids, they'll do ok, there are good districts and bad, but with the growth out here right now, poor districts are doing better by the minute as they have more revenue to work with. My kids have been in the American system longer than they were in the British system, and one has graduated and is doing great at tech school now, and the other is doing well with her grades, so she must be getting something taught to her. I also happen to work in education, and I see kids at a young age (pre-school) get a great start to life... within the educational field, so I won't knock it.

I hope that you contact us when you're out and settled and come and meet us other desert Brits at the pub one night, good luck..let us know when you land.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks we would love to join you all for a few beers once the dust has settled (i understand theres alot of it where im going!) we are really looking forward to it now as its becoming closer, Partystar, you do make me laugh, im glad youve told me about the downside of things, im sure we will have shi**y times too! in fact it may all be shi**y but what the heck, im a nurse and clean up sh*t is what i do best lmao

by the way, i didnt know Ray discovered America either, id better tell my kids or they will never graduate
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Not really ..I had already retired before I moved here .....Had no probs whatsoever ..
Wow you must be even older than I thought.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 2:58 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow you must be even older than I thought.
Who did you think walked God's dog?

Old Jun 15th 2006, 3:25 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by englishnurse
Thanks we would love to join you all for a few beers once the dust has settled (i understand theres alot of it where im going!) we are really looking forward to it now as its becoming closer, Partystar, you do make me laugh, im glad youve told me about the downside of things, im sure we will have shi**y times too! in fact it may all be shi**y but what the heck, im a nurse and clean up sh*t is what i do best lmao

by the way, i didnt know Ray discovered America either, id better tell my kids or they will never graduate
I look forward to meeting up for a drink when you get here, we usually have a great time. I really hope you love it here, I know I sound like a moaning cow, but I don't want you to be as shocked as I was, if it isn't what you expected!
Old Jun 15th 2006, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

thanks ps forewarned is forearmed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.