Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cars, brands and their perceptions

Cars, brands and their perceptions

Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars, brands and their perceptions

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Would you care to back that up with any kind of published statistics? I can probably find 5 different reputable sites that will show that BMW, Mercedes and Audi have terrible reputations for reliability. I am surprised you would make this comment. Audi in particular consistently rate very low in reliability. ....

.... Not only are these vehicles not high on the reliability front, they are more expensive to repair, so your cost of ownership is going to be much higher. ......

...... If you can afford a BMW, and don't mind it being in the shop a lot and costing a fortune to fix, then go for it - you'll enjoy it
Interesting, I was not aware of that. Thank you for adding that info, sounds like I need to do a lot more research before I buy my dream car!

My neighbor has a BMW 550, a 2013, I think, and has had issues with its computer, that proved difficult to fix, so maybe that is more typical than I'd realised.

I have no interest in owning a Mercedes so I don't pay much attention to that brand, but I have always thought, in the UK as much as here, that owning a Mercedes "says" the owner wanted a "nice" car, but has absolutely no idea what makes a nice car, so they just bought an expensive one!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 9th 2013 at 11:59 am.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:30 am
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

That's a perfect example of the perception, though, isn't it?

My own perception of it is BMW >> Audi >> Merc

Merc reliability has been something akin to a French manufacturer or Alfa of late - they are improving, but from rock bottom.

Audis almost invariably have something which is fundamentally wrong, be it the entire dash needing changing out on the original TT, or the dreaded "Dynamic Ride Control". I know all too well about that one, but I had an aftermarket warranty especially because of it.

I've never owned a BMW, but know enough who have to believe that they aren't anywhere near the ones that you would think of as reliable. And the parts are enough to make your eyes water.

It's like Volvo and safety. Last time I looked, Volvo came in about the bottom of the top third for safety testing, but this is when they were really being sold on the back of protecting those which you care about the most. This may have changed in the past few years, but I doubt it.

It's the same thing with people knocking Ford - I'll quite happily do it, but they are actually a very good car manufacturer, who make vehicles which are generally "pretty good". They don't aim for exceptional, as it were, as they are trying to appeal to such a wide market.

Having said all that, here in Houston I would say the following:

Pick up - F150 or that type is "standard". You need an F250 or equivalent to be "serious" about your pick up.
SUV - Expedition and the equivalents are also pretty common - you're moving people as opposed to stuff, otherwise you'd probably have the pick up.
People carriers - you need to move people, but not with a V8 15 mpg engine.
BMW - you've got money
Audi, Merc - you couldn't quite stretch to the BMW?
Lexus - You've got money but are also aware of reliability
Infiniti - you want the reliability of the Nissan but don't want to be driving a Nissan.
Pretty much all the others could be driven by anyone, and Houston is home to such a diverse range of people I have probably been a bit too specific with the above.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 7 seater GMC Acadia and love it. I drove a Buick Enclave (sister model) a few years ago and when test driving the Buick also tried out the Chevvy Traverse and the Acadia. The Buick and the GMC were quite close but I preferred the GMC all round (the fact it's less old manny than the Buick helped).

Onto ze Germans... I don't like BMWs - I'll state that upfront. I have a good buddy that has a 550 and he's had no end of issues with the gearbox, it's been back in the shop many times. I also wouldn't trust a manufacturer who pipes fake engine noise sound into their cabin (BMW M5).
Mercedes are a bit boring unless you're going AMG in which case they're just a bit insane.
I like Audi's. They aren't cheap though and as with the other German cars everything is extra.

I always think of Lexus' as for a realtor's car or for the retired.

The Japanese/Korean cars offer great value but some will pick up on the fact that it's not got that 'name' brand so to speak.
(we own a Hyundai Elantra as well as our GMC and have found it to be a good car)
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a few GMC Suburbans / Yukon Denali Xl they are common in this area and we have had few issues with them. In our experience with 4 children on a long trip they are unbeatable.

Ford dominates the truck market with the light duty F150 and the F250 / F350 for more heavy work. We have an F350 Dually for pulling trailers and apart from a cam sensor replaced under warranty had few issues.

From people I know who sell cars the Honda Accord is very reliable and are snapped up at the auctions for resale. The Camry is also well sought after.

The main issue with Mercedes, BMW and Audi is when the car is out of warranty the cost of parts is very high. We have a Volvo with the same issue.

Range Rovers and Jaguar are similar to the German cars for parts and repair cost.

My wife had a Dodge Caravan which she hated but it did well over 200,000 miles then she gave it to her brother who piled even more on it.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
.....I always think of Lexus as a realtor's car or for the retired. .....
.... or drug dealers!

Cadillacs aren't known to be driven by realtors, but otherwise have the same apparent customer base.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:20 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
One of the responding posters has already described the Honda Pilot as "huge", so what do you think they'd call the Expedition?
As the responding poster you refer to, I would call the Ford Expedition "huger".

You know, I drove the Pilot quite happily on the motorways--it was an excellent car for long road trips (and, as I mentioned, camping expeditions). I felt very safe and confident in that car on the wide-open roadspaces. Mileage wasn't great compared to our previous (UK) cars but better than something like the Expedition's mileage....

But I wasn't such a happy driver of the Pilot around the city and the burbs. I couldn't see a short person (or a chid) behind me when reversing out of a crowded carpark space at the supermarket, for instance. (Thus I always reversed into all carpark spaces--usually safer IMO.) But of course, the OP and his wife's comfort levels with any car over here in the USA will depend on what they're used to driving and how flexible they are as drivers.

I should note that my husband adored the Pilot and still mourns its sad passing. It was very comfortable, and just about perfect for ferrying many family members about.

Last edited by WEBlue; Sep 9th 2013 at 2:22 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:25 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
As the responding poster you refer to, I would call the Ford Expedition "huger".

You know, I drove the Pilot quite happily on the motorways--it was an excellent car for long road trips (and, as I mentioned, camping expeditions). I felt very safe and confident in that car on the wide-open roadspaces. Mileage wasn't great compared to our previous (UK) cars but better than something like the Expedition's mileage....

But I wasn't such a happy driver of the Pilot around the city and the burbs. I couldn't see a short person (or a chid) behind me when reversing out of a crowded carpark space at the supermarket, for instance. (Thus I always reversed into all carpark spaces--usually safer IMO.) But of course, the OP and his wife's comfort levels with any car over here in the USA will depend on what they're used to driving and how flexible they are as drivers.

I should note that my husband adored the Pilot and still mourns its sad passing. It was very comfortable, and just about perfect for ferrying many family members about.
I agree they can be hard to see out of. I think you need the rear view camera and sensors so that you have some vision behind you. You can't rely on them completely but they are really very good.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that I laughed when I saw an ad for the new Kia Cadenza - being compared to a BMW and a Mercedes!

The Pilot is a very highly rated SUV and would probably be my choice if I wanted that big a vehicle.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
.... if I wanted that big a vehicle.
There's that word again!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 9th 2013 at 2:56 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:36 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Speedwell drives a 2004 PT Cruiser, maintains it as well as possible, is proud of the fact that it has never needed major repairs, loves its cargo capacity, and doesn't give a f--I mean, is indifferent to what it "says" about her.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Speedwell drives a 2004 PT Cruiser, .... [and] .... is indifferent to what it "says" about her.
Undertaker's assistant?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:46 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Undertaker's assistant?
heh I thought it was recursive... what it says about me is that I don't care what it says about me.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone care to make a recommendation on a Japanese Sedan?

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 9th 2013 at 4:03 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:56 pm
Mouthy Yank

Originally Posted by civilservant
Anyone care to recommendation on a Japanese Sedan?
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7...189a4eba_z.jpg
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:02 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone's a comedian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.