Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cars again...

Cars again...

Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars again...

I don't think anyone, me included, thinks that everyone should be earning loadsa money.

I just get perturbed with professional jobs that pay low. I think of teachers in their first few years for example..very lowly paid regardless of the qualifications they have.
My wife was in this boat...

And I think, (I could be wrong), that generally people who have transferred over improve their salaries in the process. Of course there are exceptions. No offense intended.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Talk to the dealers near you. The likes of VW have expat schemes. Most should be able to offer you some type of financing it may just be at a higher rate. I would really caution against buying a very old car. We've done this now a couple of times and it has been a nightmare!

Small rant - I think some of the other users need to remember that not everyone on here earns massive amounts. I am in a professional job and don't meet the IAS income requirement. Brit Expats come from a wide range of earning backgrounds.
The OP has made it clear she is on a very tight budget, and is considering buying a 13 year old car. ..... I have been recommending a way to buy a "third or fourth owner" vehicle, then you arrive and recommend going to VW looking for an "expat deal", but just a few lines later you admonish us to "remember that not everyone on here earns massive amounts ... ". Have you looked in the mirror today?

ETA. In fact, aside from the original exchange with Hotscot about IA, YOU are the FIRST and ONLY person to recommend trying to buy/ finance a NEW car!

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 25th 2014 at 10:35 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

What's your budget? We bought a secondhand car outright by scouring craigslist and paying for a month access to carfacts, where you can check the car. It took a lot of work but we eventually found a great Toyota, one lady owner in a verrrry good neighbourhood, clean title, 11 years old for 5000 (blue book thingy says 7000 guide price).

We knew nothing about cars either having never even owned one before. We watched a few videos on youtube about buying a car, printed out a few checklists and that was that. We saw a couple before the one we bought and I didn't trust the seller so we said no.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

For a start, the Fiat 500 is NOT a cheap car! In fact, it's overpriced for what it is.

Where in Atlanta are you? You may get a better deal outside the perimeter, although getting around to look can be quite difficult. I have a car salesman friend in Gainesville (Ga) who may be able to help you out. As sales people go, I have a good relationship with him and he's relatively trustworthy (not to say he won't try to make a profit!). Feel free to PM me with your contact info if this would help. I'm in NE Ga, about 90 miles northeast of the ATL.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The OP has made it clear she is on a very tight budget, and is considering buying a 13 year old car. ..... I have been recommending a way to buy a "third or fourth owner" vehicle, then you arrive and recommend going to VW looking for an "expat deal", but just a few lines later you admonish us to "remember that not everyone on here earns massive amounts ... ". Have you looked in the mirror today?

ETA. In fact, aside from the original exchange with Hotscot about IA, YOU are the FIRST and ONLY person to recommend trying to buy/ finance a NEW car!
Umm nowhere did I recommend buying a new car. I meant financing on a used car. That's what we did.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

For the record VW did offer us financing on a used car, they were much more forgiving of our lack of credit history because they are used to dealing with expats.

I was just making a general comment that some of us do have professional jobs on lower salaries.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guindalf
For a start, the Fiat 500 is NOT a cheap car!

The base model is around 16K..does that not categorize it as cheap/inexpensive/small/affordable these days?

I've not researched cars extensively what with driving an 8 and 16 year old Honda. Just threw that out there...sorry, THERE!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

OP make sure you read the new car ad valorem tax laws for GA. Georgia Department of Revenue . If new to the state and buying a car in GA you can avoid this tax. If you buy the car from NY you may find it difficult to prove that you are not moving with the car from NY. Even if you can, you may still need to pay. Special cases seem to puzzle the DMV people and the solution is almost always to have you pay.

How much cash do you have to put towards the car right now? I work in a university and people are always selling cars as they move out of state and country. Maybe you can get something decent to keep you going for 6 months to year until you build up some credit. I can look up in our internal classified if you like... PM me if this sounds appealing.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Umm nowhere did I recommend buying a new car. I meant financing on a used car. That's what we did.
Franchise dealers are rarely cost competitive, even on used cars. They keep the very best trade-ins, to sell for top dollar and send the rest to auction. If someone is severely cost constrained I would not recommend buying from a franchise dealer.
Old Sep 26th 2014, 12:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was just making a general comment that some of us do have professional jobs on lower salaries.
You called it a rant.

And mentioning professionals having low salaries, (especially after the company processes an international transfer, and seems to offer minimal relocation assistance), wasn't a criticism of anyone here...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hotscot
You called it a rant.

And mentioning professionals having low salaries, (especially after the company processes an international transfer, and seems to offer minimal relocation assistance), wasn't a criticism of anyone here...
I know it wasn't a criticism. I wish I hadn't said anything now
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Naw it's ok.
We're all just like a bunch of folk in the pub...

(I just hoped I hadn't annoyed anyone.)
Old Sep 26th 2014, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Naw it's ok.
We're all just like a bunch of folk in the pub...

(I just hoped I hadn't annoyed anyone.)
Now I want wine!
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now I want wine!
I'm just about to open one, and drink it all
Old Sep 26th 2014, 2:47 am

I'm just about to open one, and drink it all
Underperformer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.