Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Careers that don't require a degree

Careers that don't require a degree

Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all
Default Careers that don't require a degree

I'm a USC and sometime in the future, at least 1-1.5 years in the future, my English fiance is going to move to the US. We'll get the K-1 visa and do everything that way.

I'm going to university now, studying journalism for 3 years now, and I'll be finishing my degree in about a year and a half. My fiance has no degree, though. He has a job in the UK, but not a career. He went to a sound engineering school around 5 years ago, but due to a long story about complications with his partner in class, he wasn't able to finish and get a certificate.

He'll just have to come here and try to get a job that doesn't require at least a 4-year degree. Trade/technical school is always a possibility for him, though. I'm not too sure what we're going to decide, and I know that none of you know us enough to give advice in that area.

I suppose all I'm asking for are maybe some stories from any of the posters here in a similar situation? Whether you came over and married a USC and didn't have a a degree, or you came here just to get away. Anyone got any stories about finding a job and making a decent living without having a degree? It's difficult enough for a US-born citizen....

Thanks!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all
Default Re: Careers that don't require a degree

Originally Posted by badlydrawnmegan
I'm a USC and sometime in the future, at least 1-1.5 years in the future, my English fiance is going to move to the US. We'll get the K-1 visa and do everything that way.

I'm going to university now, studying journalism for 3 years now, and I'll be finishing my degree in about a year and a half. My fiance has no degree, though. He has a job in the UK, but not a career. He went to a sound engineering school around 5 years ago, but due to a long story about complications with his partner in class, he wasn't able to finish and get a certificate.

He'll just have to come here and try to get a job that doesn't require at least a 4-year degree. Trade/technical school is always a possibility for him, though. I'm not too sure what we're going to decide, and I know that none of you know us enough to give advice in that area.

I suppose all I'm asking for are maybe some stories from any of the posters here in a similar situation? Whether you came over and married a USC and didn't have a a degree, or you came here just to get away. Anyone got any stories about finding a job and making a decent living without having a degree? It's difficult enough for a US-born citizen....

Thanks!
First of all, I do have a degree, but I am here now because I am married. I have gotten jobs here before and when I get my new EAD card I probably won't start out doing anything related to my degrees. The great thing about being married to a USC is that your immigration is not reliant on you having any degrees or specialized knowledge. Getting a job here isn't that different from getting a job back home. It can take longer to go through the whole process, but other than that your future husband should be able to get a job.

What does he do now? He could use his work experience in the UK to get a similar job here. If he's interested in doing something different he could work towards that while he is here and just work in a basic job to pay the bills until he has what he needs to start a career.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

badlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to allbadlydrawnmegan is a name known to all

He just works in a shop at the moment for money, so he definitely doesn't plan on doing that forever. He does sketch comedy with his friend on the side, and there is a bit of potential for that. Although, we don't want to live in the UK. So unless it really takes off, living with him isn't an option.

He's really interested in music, he's even contemplated being a music teacher. But I know that requires a degree, most likely four years. We've been looking at lists of careers that don't require a degree. We both know that initially when he gets here, he'll most likely have to take jobs he doesn't really care for just to bring in an extra income. But we're just thinking about the long run.

Thanks for the info, though. It's good to know that he shouldn't really have too much of a hard time in terms of not being a citizen via birth.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

He just works in a shop at the moment for money, so he definitely doesn't plan on doing that forever. He does sketch comedy with his friend on the side, and there is a bit of potential for that. Although, we don't want to live in the UK. So unless it really takes off, living with him isn't an option.

He's really interested in music, he's even contemplated being a music teacher. But I know that requires a degree, most likely four years. We've been looking at lists of careers that don't require a degree. We both know that initially when he gets here, he'll most likely have to take jobs he doesn't really care for just to bring in an extra income. But we're just thinking about the long run.

Thanks for the info, though. It's good to know that he shouldn't really have too much of a hard time in terms of not being a citizen via birth.
Well, if he doesn't want to just work in a shop forever, he might need to think about getting a degree. Is there a reason why he doesn't want to or can't get a degree? With regards to the comedy sketching and musical interest, there's nothing wrong with having dreams, but you need to think realistically too. Maybe getting the right degree etc could put him on a path to teaching, if that's what interests him. There are clerical jobs you can get that, I think, don't require a 4-year degree. In Fact, I know i've seen jobs on websites that only require a high school diploma. I just can't think what they are. I'll ask my hubby for you!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Want2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of lightWant2Move is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks!
The US is the country of opportunities and you do not need a degree to make money and have a good life. There are a plenty of jobs that do not need degree and they pay as much as or even more than with a 4-year degree. Good luck to you and your fiance.

This article may help you and your fiance.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/Careers/0...obs/index.html (there is a list of professions after the article).
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Well, if he doesn't want to just work in a shop forever, he might need to think about getting a degree. Is there a reason why he doesn't want to or can't get a degree? With regards to the comedy sketching and musical interest, there's nothing wrong with having dreams, but you need to think realistically too. Maybe getting the right degree etc could put him on a path to teaching, if that's what interests him. There are clerical jobs you can get that, I think, don't require a 4-year degree. In Fact, I know i've seen jobs on websites that only require a high school diploma. I just can't think what they are. I'll ask my hubby for you!
It's mainly about money why he can't get a degree. At least for now. I'm sure we'd be able to work out getting him a 2-year degree if it was needed, because it would be a lot less expensive than 4 years at uni.

Yes, we know the music/comedy stuff is extremely tough to do. That's why we're thinking of other things he'd be interested in doing. We were looking at things like air traffic controller and whatnot.

Clerical things are fine. As long as he can get into a company and has the opportunity to climb the latter in said company, it should be fine.

Thank you for the help!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Want2Move
The US is the country of opportunities and you do not need a degree to make money and have a good life. There are a plenty of jobs that do not need degree and they pay as much as or even more than with a 4-year degree. Good luck to you and your fiance.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/Careers/0...obs/index.html (there is a list of professions after the article).
Yes, I've read that article. We'll still be going over those and other occupations to see if any click. Thank you!

Just didn't know if there was anyone here who's pretty much had to do the same thing we're trying to do or not!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:00 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
Well, if he doesn't want to just work in a shop forever, he might need to think about getting a degree. Is there a reason why he doesn't want to or can't get a degree?

I don't have a degree and I earn 2.5 to 3 times more than my wife does who has a masters.....go figure! Every situation is different.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:13 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evoal2003
I don't have a degree and I earn 2.5 to 3 times more than my wife does who has a masters.....go figure! Every situation is different.
Yes, but not everyone wants to sell their body on the street...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the article, but me and my fiance have been looking at that and others already!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

McDonalds. Burger King, KFC, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers.

Landscape gardener, Buss Boy, Whore, Drug dealer, Road sweeper, Railway worker,........... Even truck driver

Or County Judge
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone got any stories about finding a job and making a decent living without having a degree? It's difficult enough for a US-born citizen....
Can he bake?
Old Aug 25th 2008, 4:43 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Can he bake?
Can he type, or can he operate MS Word or Excel with high proficiency? I went to college but had to drop out in the final year for financial reasons. I was able to get into various jobs here by knowing those two programs backwards and hitting up temp agencies. They usually make you test for various program knowledge, and if you score really highly, they'll pretty much throw your resume out the window.

Well, that was before the recession, anyway. Might be a bit tougher these days.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:47 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
County Judge
Police officer, governor, customs officer, tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, real estate agent, car salesman, rock star, poet, construction worker, doorman...
Old Aug 25th 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem nowadays is that in the current climate, there are plenty of people with degrees applying for all those jobs.

I don't have a degree currently; however, I am rectifying that - I've got one year left to do on my Masters Degree (qualified to take directly without pissing around with a Bachelors due to experience, so it'll kill 2 birds with 2 stone when I get it done).

I do have a lot of experience in my particular field and professional certifications which made up for the lack of a bachelors a lot, but the bottom line fact is that having a degree matters a hell of a lot more here than in the UK. You can find work good without, but it isn't easy - being foreign and not having a degree is a tough boat to be in - but it can be overcome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.