Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Tax and resgitration

Car Tax and resgitration

Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

daccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond reputedaccs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Tax and resgitration

I am looking to lease a car, can anyone confirm who/how i pay the tax and registration. Should the lease company manage this or do I have to sort it out
Old Jan 13th 2015, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Tax and resgitration

Originally Posted by daccs
I am looking to lease a car, can anyone confirm who/how i pay the tax and registration. Should the lease company manage this or do I have to sort it out
That is part of the upfront money and is in addition to the advertised upfront money.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 9:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Which state? Some collect sales tax on the value of the vehicle at the inception of the lease, I believe that some amortize it over the life of the lease.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 10:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the state.

In MA, you usually sort it out yourself, paying the registration, plate, title fees, inspection fee and town excise tax. Sales tax if you buy, you usually pay to the dealer, or to the DMV when you register the car.

The registration is paid every 2 years, inspection every year as well as town excise tax, even on a lease.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which state? Some collect sales tax on the value of the vehicle at the inception of the lease, I believe that some amortize it over the life of the lease.
I believe that is only done if the dealer pays the full amount to the state immediately (states want their money now with no risk of default) and tacks that on to the monthly payment as a loan.
Old Jan 14th 2015, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
I believe that is only done if the dealer pays the full amount to the state immediately (states want their money now with no risk of default) and tacks that on to the monthly payment as a loan.
Ah, that makes sense, ...... and presumably states where there it is not customary to add the sales tax to the lease amount as a loan, are states with restrictive usury laws that prevent such an arrangement.