Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Servicing

Car Servicing

Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:28 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Servicing

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where I am the recycling centre's do not take oil, you have to take it to a garage and they can charge.
Please tell me you pay.... yes, there can be a fee but it's usually regulated by the state and isn't very much. If you can't afford it PM me and I'll pay it. I hate to think of oil being tossed all over Colorado!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Please tell me you pay.... yes, there can be a fee but it's usually regulated by the state and isn't very much. If you can't afford it PM me and I'll pay it. I hate to think of oil being tossed all over Colorado!
No, I have so far let the Garage do it. I have a couple of bottles left over from the mower mind you, I could send you that!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:43 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
No, I have so far let the Garage do it. I have a couple of bottles left over from the mower mind you, I could send you that!
Not allowed through the USPS maybe if I'm passing through.....
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

..I hate to think of oil being tossed all over Colorado!
Not as bad as spilling milk into the water supply...
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Yeah, what is it with the synthetic stuff being so expensive? Would cost $55 to the oil changed using that stuff, while only $17-24 for the normal shite...
With synthetic the oil goes through better processing so its better quality oil although almost all of them still require crude oil to manufacture. There is not much benefit for most people to use synthetic unless.....
1.You have a turbo or certain oil fed superchargers
2.High performance engine (modified)
3.The manufacturer recommends it specifically / factory filled.

Most vehicles will not benefit from synthetic oil at all or minimally and would not justify the extra cost.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:03 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Bob
Not as bad as spilling milk into the water supply...
Splain please. Is it as bad if the milk is pasteurised/homogenised?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

Mine has a turbo, but not required.

A few Manufacturers provide it as standard but most still use 'dyno' at least for the break in, although that is not such a big deal nowadays.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 12:57 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Most vehicles will not benefit from synthetic oil at all or minimally and would not justify the extra cost.
So how come it seems so much more expensive here? Was also told that once you started using it, you couldn't go back to regular stuff...either way, it's way to expensive for the our dirt mobile *l*
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:01 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Splain please. Is it as bad if the milk is pasteurised/homogenised?
Milk is an anti-oxygenate and will kill off the fish as fast as an oil spill if it's spilled into a water supply, but as it doesn't glob together like oil, it's harder to clear, straw doesn't suck it up as quickly for instance...it's treated as a toxic spill if it happens...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
So how come it seems so much more expensive here? Was also told that once you started using it, you couldn't go back to regular stuff...either way, it's way to expensive for the our dirt mobile *l*
Can not think of any reason why you could not switch back, mixing it is probably not a good idea.

More expensive everywhere, I think its just a case that a regular oil change is relatively cheap, the synthetic looks a lot more, priobably less noticable in UK.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cabritpop
Your owners manual states that the oil should be changed every 3000 miles then?
Yeah - for the mileage i do and the heat here in Texas!
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My owner's manuals tell me an oil change every 10,000 miles, and that's what I stick to. Just pulled the dip stick on one that's got 500 miles to go: can still kinda see through it, so all's good...
Old Jun 16th 2005, 4:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Big D
Yeah - for the mileage i do and the heat here in Texas!
Its the heat in the engine that matters.

Synthetics are good for another 30 degrees or so, something like 330 vs 360.

Time is more an issue for contaniments, so I do not think that would vary much. If you are doing a lot of short journeys that also would be a reason for shorter changes, I think those cars which tell you when the oil needs to be changed take this usage charachteristic into account.