Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car registration Plates

Car registration Plates

Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car registration Plates

Hi,

I have been in the US for about a month now.

Whilst walking about I have noticed that not all cars have a registration plate on either the front or back.

In the UK it is a legal requirement to display your registration plate. The cops would pull you over straight away if you didn’t have one on.

Does anyone know what’s going on here? Is it legal?

Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks

Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:25 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registration Plates

Depends on the state. Arizona only needs one at the back; California I've no idea. Also different is the cost of a personalized plate -- very cheap here.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 5:39 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Some states require only a rear plate: http://www.mrtraffic.com/frontplate.htm

Most states do require a front plate, but enforcement has traditionally been lax. However, enforcement is increasing as red light cameras become more common, as red light cameras photograph the front of the car and use the front license plate to identify the lucky winners.

Once upon a time, these adorned the front of many a Chevy:

Probably wouldn't look so good on the front of a Camry....
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

In California you are supposed to have both front and rear plates.

New cars, however, don't have *any* plates - you apply for them when you buy the car and they show up in the mail about 4 weeks later.

(and, of course, this is at least slightly different in every state ...)
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
In California you are supposed to have both front and rear plates.

New cars, however, don't have *any* plates - you apply for them when you buy the car and they show up in the mail about 4 weeks later.

(and, of course, this is at least slightly different in every state ...)
But you do have to display a paper plate in the back window.
In Arizona I believe you need a front plate when you have a personalised plate, but I see very few cars complying.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

It's such a trivial matter, but I've always somehow appreciated the casual approach everyone takes to plates in the US! Here in CA you are supposed to have a front plate, but many people just don't bother, and the cops don't bother either.

In UK, the govt always refused to issue personalized plates, so people pay astronomical prices for old plates that might actually 'say' something. In the US, as long as it's unique, you can pay an extra fee and get it - so 'American' !

And when you buy a new car here in the US, you drive the sucker off the lot the day you sign the papers ... while in the UK (so my brother tells me) ... you have to wait till the plates arrive ... what an anti-climax!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Depends on the state. Arizona only needs one at the back; California I've no idea. Also different is the cost of a personalized plate -- very cheap here.
We have a 3 digit personal plate on the Jeep .... $45.00
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

In Kentucky, we only need one plate on the rear. In Ohio, we needed one on the front and rear. Every state is different.

Now, if you're seeing cars without a plate at all, I think that's illegal in every state.

That being said, we just bought a new car yesterday, and we have a 'temporary' plate on the rear. It's paper and has a few bits on info on it, but it's legal to drive it until the real plate arrives in about a month.

Originally Posted by mark_sheffield
Hi,

I have been in the US for about a month now.

Whilst walking about I have noticed that not all cars have a registration plate on either the front or back.

In the UK it is a legal requirement to display your registration plate. The cops would pull you over straight away if you didn’t have one on.

Does anyone know what’s going on here? Is it legal?

Just to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jul 7th 2008 at 1:14 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I couldve sworn it has 4 digits actually.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 3:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is DIESEL... gotta spread the word.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
But you do have to display a paper plate in the back window.
No you don't (in California, at least)

There will be some documents inside the front window in roughly the same place that you would find a UK tax disk but that is it.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I think all (or most) states used to have plates front and back. The one-plate only thing spread (1970s? 1980s?) as a cost saving measure.. in other words, they'd charge you the same for registration & plates, but only have to make one plate. Massachusetts is an example, they formerly required plates front & back and then reduced it to rear only. Now, they are back to two plates.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Hi:

I used to have California plate "I 551" -- it was kind of neat but I found my self getting pulled over every time at San Clemente rather than just being waved through on trips back from San Diego to LA.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:31 pm
Gotta have more cowbell

HoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond reputeHoosierDaddy has a reputation beyond repute

My personal plate lapsed last year as I was too tight to continue on with the $45.00 extra payment . I often wondered (since I'm in a State where we don't need a front plate) if I could get away with putting my old vanity plate on the front but never actually asked the DMV / BMV / whoever.

Last edited by HoosierDaddy; Jul 7th 2008 at 6:33 pm. Reason: Added pic
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:33 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

I never understand the Deadhead Bears or Skull thing.
Please officer, pull me over and check for Mary Joanna...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.