Reload this Page >

Car ownership and first motor insurance

Car ownership and first motor insurance

Old Sep 14th 2011, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

flck72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Car ownership and first motor insurance

Hi

We recently moved to NJ Madison and are getting close to buying an (albeit old 2002)minivan.

Will there be an issue with ownership, and finding car insurance with our uk license and lack of NJ ID if we purchase a vehicle.

Any suggestions or ideas on what you need to get over this?

Thanks.
F
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car ownership and first motor insurance

Originally Posted by flck72
Regardless of whether you can or cannot purchase, register and insure a vehicle in New Jersey with only a UK driver's license you will make life in this and many, many, other areas infinitely easier for yourself if you just go and get yourself a New Jersey driver's license.

Doesn't matter whether you are legally required to get one or not - just do it - without a US driver's license (or equivalent state issued ID if you happen to be unable to drive) you don't really exist ...
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:12 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

We recently moved to NJ Madison and are getting close to buying an (albeit old 2002)minivan.

Will there be an issue with ownership, and finding car insurance with our uk license and lack of NJ ID if we purchase a vehicle.

Thanks.
F
You really need a NJ license. You will have a tough time without one.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
You really need a NJ license. You will have a tough time without one.
But it should be easy to get one. They seem to let anyone drive in New Jersey.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

Doesn't matter whether you are legally required to get one or not - just do it - without a US driver's license (or equivalent state issued ID if you happen to be unable to drive) you don't really exist ...
Drivers license is king, the missus had a state issued "Liquor" license as she doesn't drive and it's supposed to be as good as a drivers license for ID purposes, hardly anyone accepted it as a proper ID, in MA at least
Old Sep 18th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Drivers license is king, the missus had a state issued "Liquor" license as she doesn't drive and it's supposed to be as good as a drivers license for ID purposes, hardly anyone accepted it as a proper ID, in MA at least
The California state ID is essentially identical to the Driver's License except that it says "Identification Card" instead of "Driver License" and doesn't have the "class" of the license on it. I doubt if anyone other than a cop would notice the difference.
Old Sep 18th 2011, 5:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
The California state ID is essentially identical to the Driver's License except that it says "Identification Card" instead of "Driver License" and doesn't have the "class" of the license on it. I doubt if anyone other than a cop would notice the difference.
It's the same in MA, but the fact it doesn't have "Drivers License" up top, but "State Identification" throws most people so they don't accept it
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:02 am
Just Joined

flck72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Car ownership and first motor insurance

Update is...

Now we have the car but no plates, it is off road.

I need to take the title ownership paper to the nearest DMV office and change the ownership over. In NJ as I have a UK licence they will do a 6 point ID check (various bits of ID that needs to add up to 6) see http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/6PointID.htm

then I will be required to take a written test to get a NJ license, providing I pass and can demonstrate experience of driving it is issued on the spot.

Insurance is tomorrow's task. AIG I have heard accommodates internationals, though when I phoned last week I seemed to be sent around the houses and then gave up trying....

Any tips on where to swot up for the written test please....
thanks
f
Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Any tips on where to swot up for the written test please....
thanks
f
The state dmv website will have a drivers handbook usually as a pdf file, read it a couple times and you'll be good, just concentrate on the penalty points and anything relating to under 21 year olds.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:49 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
just concentrate on the penalty points and anything relating to under 21 year olds.
...and anything to do with alcohol.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
...and anything to do with alcohol.
Yeah, there were several questions came up in mine regarding the penalties for 16 year olds who are DUI, it's a 25 question multiple choice computerised test here in Connecticut and we also had to take an 8 hour drug and alcohol class which was about as exciting as watching paint dry. Then, and only then, could you take the written test and then if you passed that, you had the practical test. It was all a bit nerve wracking at the time, but looking back, it wasn't bad at all and my license has been invaluable as ID as it's the only ID I have. Just a word of warning, I hope you got the van checked by a mechanic. We bought a 2001 minivan when we moved over here and it's been nothing but trouble and regret not getting an independent mechanic to give it the once over. We only had it 2 weeks and the transmission went and had to fight with the garage to replace the transmission. We had to get the DMV involved and it was just a pain in the backside. Also, because of the weather here in the Winter, and the salt on the roads, there are a lot of corrosion issues which we weren't aware of so it's all been a learning curve.

Good luck with everything, good luck with the license and enjoy being mobile in your own vehicle
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Brat1
We bought a 2001 minivan when we moved over here and it's been nothing but trouble and regret not getting an independent mechanic to give it the once over. We only had it 2 weeks and the transmission went and had to fight with the garage to replace the transmission.
Hindsight, but you should have lemon'ed it, if you bought it from a dealer....that'll get them to offer to fix shit up quick instead of having to replace the car or refund all your expenses.

How long you've got does and what they are responsible for does depend on the state though and you've got something like 30 days in MA, though it's 10 days if you get privately if I remember correctly...because we looked at it when we got our car.

The garage were very quick to replace a whole bunch of shit when we threatened them with that

We still so should have lemon'ed it all the same, piece of shit saab
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hindsight, but you should have lemon'ed it, if you bought it from a dealer....that'll get them to offer to fix shit up quick instead of having to replace the car or refund all your expenses.

How long you've got does and what they are responsible for does depend on the state though and you've got something like 30 days in MA, though it's 10 days if you get privately if I remember correctly...because we looked at it when we got our car.

The garage were very quick to replace a whole bunch of shit when we threatened them with that

We still so should have lemon'ed it all the same, piece of shit saab

Yeah, we found out about the Lemon law from our neighbours, but he wasn't responding so got the DMV involved and they got him to put a new transmission in, took us over 2 months to get it back if I remember rightly and hindsight is a wonderful thing Now the other car's packed in with I think, something pretty major so it just goes on, and on, an on - I think someone may have a voodoo doll out there with my name on it

By the way, as for the insurance, our first 6 months was pretty expensive and we did it through State Farm. We renewed with Geico and pay $170 something a month for a 2001 Windstar and 2002 Volkswagen Passat. We're going to change before the end of the year, because I've been getting quotes quite a bit cheaper so even though it's a pain, it's well worth shopping about to see what deal you can get. Like I said before, good luck with everything, it'll all fall in to place
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 6:15 pm
msw
Just Joined

msw is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, We were in the same situation a few months ago and used Progressive. 1 800 776 4737. I am looking to renew now and on here to get info re other providers as I want to try and increase our coverage (for the same price). I will have a go at AIG and let you know how I get on.
There are various online mock exams - google search will find them. With the test you need to get 40 correct answers - you can skip the ones you are not sure of and come back to them at the end and the questions stop as soon as you get enough correct answers.Also, they don't accept UK Birth Certs/Marraige Certs etc as ID.
Hope this helps!