Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car options and financing

Car options and financing

Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

pipsi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car options and financing

I'll be moving to Florida in August and until just a few days ago I thought my only option would be to buy a old used car with cash. However after finding out about International Autosource I've realised the loan and leasing options that may be open to me. I've spoken to a couple of people from IAS breifly.

However, I'll be moving to Florida on an F1 student visa and my only US income will be a Graduate Teaching Assistantship with a modest stipend. The chap I spoke to from IAS mentioned it might be difficult to go down the normal routes because of my low US income. I wondered if some forum users could offer some info and advice regarding my options. With other relocation costs I won't have a huge amount of money to put towards a car up front. I'm about midway through the finance on my car in the UK so once I get a settlement figure for that I reckon I'll probably just break even when I sell that.

At the moment I don't even have any ball park figures for leasing etc in the US so when I was asked by the IAS agent what my budget was I wasn't really sure what to say. I've no idea how things compare between US and UK. I currently pay about £300 ($500) for my UK car per month but don't want to spend as much in the US, is it realistic to pay around say $250 per month in the US? Or am I way off the mark?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

audi4t is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car options and financing

You can lease a new Scion iQ here in the US as follows - not my choice but if you want cheap reliable transport tough to beat this deal

2014 iQ
$99/MO 36 MONTHS
$3,129 DUE AT LEASE SIGNING[3]
$1,000 BONUS CASH[2]
EXCLUDES OFFICIAL FEES, TAXES AND DEALER CHARGES. NO SECURITY DEPOSIT REQUIRED.
STANDARD TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY AUDIO SYSTEM
37 COMBINED MPG[5] RATING (36/37 CITY/HWY)
11 STANDARD AIRBAGS AND STAR SAFETY SYSTEM™
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'd never heard of a Scion iq before so googled it. It's not the car I would ever choose for myself but I suppose if it comes to it, it's better than nothing. Even if I do have a phobia of small cars. I currently drive a Volvo C30, which is great for fuel efficency, safety etc but how small it is annoys the hell out of me. My previous cars have all been big 4x4s. Ideally I'd want a 4x4 again but this may not be possible with my budget.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Florida doesn't do a annual inspection, so be careful of second hand.

As for a lease or buy, depends on your long term plans. You can lease a pretty naff small car for not much money, but without credit history you might have to put more down. Thing is, small cars in big pick up territory, tend to be a lot more scarier to drive.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

captainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond reputecaptainsensible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audi4t
You can lease a new Scion iQ here in the US as follows - not my choice but if you want cheap reliable transport tough to beat this deal

2014 iQ
$99/MO 36 MONTHS
$3,129 DUE AT LEASE SIGNING[3]
$1,000 BONUS CASH[2]
EXCLUDES OFFICIAL FEES, TAXES AND DEALER CHARGES. NO SECURITY DEPOSIT REQUIRED.
STANDARD TOUCHSCREEN DISPLAY AUDIO SYSTEM
37 COMBINED MPG[5] RATING (36/37 CITY/HWY)
11 STANDARD AIRBAGS AND STAR SAFETY SYSTEM™
And someone without any US credit history would qualify for that would they? Doubt that very much!!!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, small cars in big pick up territory, tend to be a lot more scarier to drive.
This is exactly why I want to go back to a 4x4. I get annoyed with having a Volvo C30 in the UK so can't imagine being happy with a little car in Florida. Even if I don't end up with a 4x4 I'd want something along similar lines like a midsize SUV but not necessarily a 4x4.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A small private used car dealer would probably self-finance something "well used" for you. You would make the payments directly to the dealer, and when you're done with the vehicle just take it back and give him the keys and title. He will clean and polish it, change the oil, and put it back on the forecourt to sell again.

All towns have a few such dealers, in the poorer parts of town, with gaudy bunting, a shed for an office, and signs in Spanish!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A small private used car dealer would probably self-finance something "well used" for you. You would make the payments directly to the dealer, and when you're done with the vehicle just take it back and give him the keys and title. He will clean and polish it, change the oil, and put it back on the forecourt to sell again.

All towns have a few such dealers, in the poorer parts of town, with gaudy bunting, a shed for an office, and signs in Spanish!
This would probably suit me. The chap I spoke to at IAS did say that there was a stateside finance option that he could help me with. All I'd need to do is find a dealer offering a suitable finance package which would be open to the average American and IAS would match the finance package for me which would obviously be better as there would be no need for a US credit history with IAS.

I'm not adverse to getting a 'well used' car. My Volvo is the first new car I've ever bought. All but one of my previous cars I've bought for next to nothing and ran them for a few years until I've been better off scrapping them than paying to get them through their next MOT. My last land Rover I paid £1000 for and it lasted three years before it blew a head gasket and I decided to cut my loses and move onto my next car.