Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance, where to start (Houston)?

Car insurance, where to start (Houston)?

Old Dec 25th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

trumee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance, where to start (Houston)?

Hi,

I dont own a car yet since i have a company provided rental car for short period. However, i need to buy a car and need car insurance. I dont have a US driving license, only a UK one.

Where do i start? Is there any insurance company which can give a quote without owning a vehicle. I will probably buy a used car from a dealer, do i need to sort out the insurance before buying the car?
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance, where to start (Houston)?

Try Geico.
Old Dec 25th 2013, 6:14 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trumee
Hi,

I dont own a car yet since i have a company provided rental car for short period. However, i need to buy a car and need car insurance. I dont have a US driving license, only a UK one.

Where do i start? Is there any insurance company which can give a quote without owning a vehicle. I will probably buy a used car from a dealer, do i need to sort out the insurance before buying the car?
I am not sure if they will give you a quote until you have the car but if you can tell them the type of car you intend to buy they might. We insured a Ford Edge and a VW Bug in 2008 (new cars, just arrived, UK Licences) and we were around $220 per month through State Farm. The price dropped after about 1 year.
Old Dec 26th 2013, 3:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Search for AIG travel guard. $440 for a year, will probably save you more than that on your premium.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of lightTimNiceBut is a glorious beacon of light

First, get yourself a US license. That's not exactly hard, and it does make a difference when it comes to getting insurance.

Second, I'd talk to as many insurance agents as you can to get quotes. You'll need some sort of idea what car you'd want to get a quote, though. Try to find an independent agent that can quote via multiple companies, too.

Also make sure that you get decent coverage and don't have them quote for state minimums, those are ridiculously low and you will be on the hook personally for any damages exceeding your coverage.

Also, even if you buy an older car for cash and want liability only coverage, I'd recommend getting uninsured/underinsured motorist cover in case you encounter someone who's only got state minimum insurance.