Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance when returning to UK

Car Insurance when returning to UK

Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

hatstand2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance when returning to UK

Hi there, returning to the UK after being out for 3.5 years...

I see that lots of people were able to get some value out of their no claims bonus (or equivalent) that had been acquired outside of the UK. When I left the UK in 2007, I also got a letter from my British insurer saying I had 6 years' NCB. The general consensus seems to be that being able to explain the situation to a broker gets the best result.

Would anyone who has done this be able to recommend a particular broker where they had success?

Many thanks!

Last edited by hatstand2011; Jan 28th 2011 at 2:23 pm. Reason: Forgot a bit!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Car Insurance when returning to UK

Swinton sorted me out with the best deal I could find.
They found an insurer who acknowledged my US history.
Also because my last policy before leaving UK was with Swinton and just inside 3 years that helped aswell.
Still relatively expensive compared to the whole market but once this first year is up and assuming no claims our rates should drop considerably as we'll have full NCD properly reinstated.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance when returning to UK

Originally Posted by hatstand2011
Hi there, returning to the UK after being out for 3.5 years...

I see that lots of people were able to get some value out of their no claims bonus (or equivalent) that had been acquired outside of the UK. When I left the UK in 2007, I also got a letter from my British insurer saying I had 6 years' NCB. The general consensus seems to be that being able to explain the situation to a broker gets the best result.

Would anyone who has done this be able to recommend a particular broker where they had success?

Many thanks!
We had quotes from Avia and Direct Line...both very good...and both happy with our insurance documents we brought over from Aus as evidence of no claims.....to be fair there seems a huge choice here and just going online and finding out which insurance is best for you is the best way to go....don't forget to keep any evidence of insurance while you have been overseas.