Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:35 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance in USA - Help Please

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It might mean you've never had valid insurance, despite you having been driving happily.
In England, insurance can't be issued then revoked without the insurance company making reasonable attempts to advise the policy holder. I would hope the same is true here?

The the OP. Personally, I suspect you are still covered BUT you may either lose a discount for using a non American licence OR soon have your insurance cancelled. As Bob said, you need to phone them and find out.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
In England, insurance can't be issued then revoked without the insurance company making reasonable attempts to advise the policy holder. I would hope the same is true here?

The the OP. Personally, I suspect you are still covered BUT you may either lose a discount for using a non American licence OR soon have your insurance cancelled. As Bob said, you need to phone them and find out.
No, they can retroactively revoke cover if they discover you lied in application, have driven with a invalid license, all manner of things.

In MA, car insurance is tied to the DMV and linked up to your license and car registration, so you get pulled over and your insurance gets revoked, you can and do get done for driving with a invalid license and car registration.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 10:48 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudger222
Mmmm.....having happily driven around Ohio on my visits for the last 8 months, State Farm suddenly sent us a letter this week stating they do not have a US or Canadian driving licence on file for me.

......errrr that would be because we told you I was visiting and using an English Licence......

Do you think this means I'm no longer insured?
We had State Farm in the beginning but they wanted our SS# and US Drivers License details as soon as they became available. We had 30 or 60 days to get our drivers licenses once resident n Texas.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 12:21 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
No, they can retroactively revoke cover if they discover you lied in application, have driven with a invalid license, all manner of things.
Sure, but the OP sounds like he was in the same position as me. Took out cover against his foreign (British?) driving licence, then updated it as and when they gained it. If I hadn't gained my licence by now, I'm not sure my insurer would object (clearly they'll have a timeline before they do of course, which is what I suspect the OP has run into) - they certainly didn't when I took out the policy.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 2:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, but the OP sounds like he was in the same position as me. Took out cover against his foreign (British?) driving licence, then updated it as and when they gained it. If I hadn't gained my licence by now, I'm not sure my insurer would object (clearly they'll have a timeline before they do of course, which is what I suspect the OP has run into) - they certainly didn't when I took out the policy.
Either way, if you're not using a US license, you want it in writing, explicitly stating they'll cover you and for how long they will cover you for it as they'll use it to wiggle out of paying out for a decent claim if you need it by voiding the cover and depending on the state, which for MA, can be quite severe.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Right, but you, apparently, knew you needed to obtain a US licence fairly quickly, whereas in this case the poster seems to think they can drive on a non-US licence indefinitely.
Old Jun 21st 2014, 1:58 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, but you, apparently, knew you needed to obtain a US licence fairly quickly, whereas in this case the poster seems to think they can drive on a non-US licence indefinitely.
Yeah. I don't know why the OP hasn't gained a US DL yet, given they're handed out like confetti.