Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in UK Nightmare!!!!

Car insurance in UK Nightmare!!!!

Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car insurance in UK Nightmare!!!!

HI all,

I'm having a nightmare today with my car insurance renewal! Its due today, and i told them i would be emigrating, so could i change the address to my mums, and get their names put on the policy as additional drivers..... they told me that cos i'd be out of the country more than 3 months i couldnt have an insurance policy, but my mother could apply for one instead and name me as a driver.....

... further investigation reveals that apparently, she also has to be the registered keeper of my car, and that as i wont be a uk resident, i can't be a named driver - she would have to phone up every time i come over, to add me temporarily!

Um, does anyone have a car they keep in the UK for when they come over.... and how do you insure it? Advice gratefully received!

maddy xxxx
Old Oct 25th 2010, 11:53 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in UK Nightmare!!!!

Originally Posted by Madelina
HI all,

I'm having a nightmare today with my car insurance renewal! Its due today, and i told them i would be emigrating, so could i change the address to my mums, and get their names put on the policy as additional drivers..... they told me that cos i'd be out of the country more than 3 months i couldnt have an insurance policy, but my mother could apply for one instead and name me as a driver.....

... further investigation reveals that apparently, she also has to be the registered keeper of my car, and that as i wont be a uk resident, i can't be a named driver - she would have to phone up every time i come over, to add me temporarily!

Um, does anyone have a car they keep in the UK for when they come over.... and how do you insure it? Advice gratefully received!

maddy xxxx
It's a huge pain in the arse for sure, but it does sound about right. It's the same kind of pain my parents have (in reverse) when they return to Florida every six months and need to drive their car again. Is the car worth keeping? Would it work out more economical in the end to sell the bugger now and just hire one when you come back home for visits?
Old Oct 25th 2010, 4:06 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in UK Nightmare!!!!

Originally Posted by Madelina
HI all,

maddy xxxx
Don't think there's a way around this I'm afraid. You'll also find that most UK insurers have a limit on the number of times you can be added to the insurance in a year. I believe on my Mum's insurance it's either twice or two weeks as a non-resident.